Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 3/4ths or 1 7/8th headers for my setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts
Default 1 3/4ths or 1 7/8th headers for my setup

Originally Posted by nascardude56
After more research, I feel even more confused haha, just don't want to lose low end on this
I just did.the switch and the car has lost nothing......if anything it feels stronger down low and all through the rpm band. The guy posting is referring to Internet myth like another poster said for every 2 that lost power there is 20 that gained.

Last edited by Chris25; 03-23-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ That kind of logic ain't welcome around here, haven't you been told that?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
^^^ That kind of logic ain't welcome around here, haven't you been told that?
Lol I am beginning to notice that.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Corvette's are a different story altogether.

There's a lot being missed here. For an FBody, I'd go 1 7/8" all day, every day. The designs are all pretty much the same. 1 7/8" is a no brainer.

Now look at the Vette. Some have super long primaries (LG, Pfadt) while others are shorter (ARH). Primary length dictates a lot, as does EXHAUST VALVE SIZE, and nobody seems to mention that.

There is some science to it, but at the end of the day, most of us aren't trying to fry tires from a stoplight, we want to go fast ABOVE 3500 rpm, which is really where most cams of any significance start to build steam.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Corvette's are a different story altogether.

There's a lot being missed here. For an FBody, I'd go 1 7/8" all day, every day. The designs are all pretty much the same. 1 7/8" is a no brainer.

Now look at the Vette. Some have super long primaries (LG, Pfadt) while others are shorter (ARH). Primary length dictates a lot, as does EXHAUST VALVE SIZE, and nobody seems to mention that.

There is some science to it, but at the end of the day, most of us aren't trying to fry tires from a stoplight, we want to go fast ABOVE 3500 rpm, which is really where most cams of any significance start to build steam.
Kudos to you.

But i'm in it for the tire frying extravaganza's.

The gas...... more than makes up for the loss up top I may see with the smaller tubing.

Collector and back are where real power gains come from in this fbody world!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by brobinson216
Kudos to you.

But i'm in it for the tire frying extravaganza's.

The gas...... more than makes up for the loss up top I may see with the smaller tubing.

Collector and back are where real power gains come from in this fbody world!
So you're saying you're perfectly fine with KNOWING the smaller tube will be a slight restriction? And you'll be "making up for it" by spraying nitrous to compensate? Yikes... ok... That's your prerogative.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

So you're saying you're perfectly fine with KNOWING the smaller tube will be a slight restriction? And you'll be "making up for it" by spraying nitrous to compensate? Yikes... ok... That's your prerogative.
What I'm saying is that it's more about collector design.

The smaller tube creates a scavaging process that works very well in my combination.

You said it yourself the vette platform is a totally different animal? Why? Do to the fact of what?

Collector design?
True dual?
Exhaust port velocity?
Exhaust port size?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.....you seem pretty sharp.

Old saying goes "It's not so much of what you say it's how you say it"
Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 AM
The Scammer Hammer

It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast
Well considering I live on 185+ acres
Old 03-25-2016, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by brobinson216
Well considering I live on 185+ acres
That's not much but I doubt you mow it all
Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nascardude56
After more research, I feel even more confused haha, just don't want to lose low end on this
This motor going in a tow truck?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:09 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I used to post all the time on this. Whigham gave a synopsis.

Do the 1-7/8.

Fin.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up with TSP 1-7/8ths! Thanks for the help everyone
Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Wow that went on for a while but since I’m new to the LS I’m going to jump in anyway! I just bought an LS3 376/525 GMPP crate engine/trans package. Heard some talk and by looking at the flow numbers it seems the L-92 exhaust ports are pretty weak! I think this is why header choice “could” be very important for these heads!
However I’m not really that concerned about a few pounds of low end torque because I only have about 2300 pounds to move! On the other hand I’m not concerned about a few top-end hp because I only have about 2300 pounds to move! If, if I return to my sin full ways I have an App for that, well I guess it’s a NOS button!
My little Cobra Kit Car has been down for over a year and I can’t wait to get it on the road with LS power! I WILL be cruising this summer! My plan right now is to use the stock manifolds and plumb them into my current side pipes, 3” id. Not worrying about header size until I put it up for the winter, by then I should have a better idea! The problem is we got to build them! These are my current SBC headers 1 ¾” to 1 7/8 to 3 ½ collectors and 3” id Cherry-Bombs! It was a little loud but sounded pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails 1 3/4ths or 1 7/8th headers for my setup-c-header-1.gif  
Old 03-31-2016, 04:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by LS525cobra
Wow that went on for a while but since I’m new to the LS I’m going to jump in anyway! I just bought an LS3 376/525 GMPP crate engine/trans package. Heard some talk and by looking at the flow numbers it seems the L-92 exhaust ports are pretty weak! I think this is why header choice “could” be very important for these heads!
However I’m not really that concerned about a few pounds of low end torque because I only have about 2300 pounds to move! On the other hand I’m not concerned about a few top-end hp because I only have about 2300 pounds to move! If, if I return to my sin full ways I have an App for that, well I guess it’s a NOS button!
My little Cobra Kit Car has been down for over a year and I can’t wait to get it on the road with LS power! I WILL be cruising this summer! My plan right now is to use the stock manifolds and plumb them into my current side pipes, 3” id. Not worrying about header size until I put it up for the winter, by then I should have a better idea! The problem is we got to build them! These are my current SBC headers 1 ¾” to 1 7/8 to 3 ½ collectors and 3” id Cherry-Bombs! It was a little loud but sounded pretty good!
Welcome to the site!

If you're thinking about keeping stock manifolds, you would REALLY be surprised at just how well the factory (stainless) LS7 manifolds flow.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

I will for sure give them a look, thanks!

Al
Old 03-31-2016, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing that keeps coming to mind, about losing tq from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, is a post from a well known man. Tony Mamo stated, while doing a back to back header swap, that there was a tq drop at lower/mid rpm. Stating there was a trade off for better high rpm power of the 1 7/8.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

As with most "systems" it's not about just one thing it's about the "sum" of all things and how well they function together! And of course it's intended use is a big part of the system! A heavy tow rig is going to have a very different set of requirements from a feather weight 1/4 mile blaster! Most of us are somewhere in between and must find the best compromise! Mine is Fun Factor vs. Maintenance!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 388 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
One thing that keeps coming to mind, about losing tq from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, is a post from a well known man. Tony Mamo stated, while doing a back to back header swap, that there was a tq drop at lower/mid rpm. Stating there was a trade off for better high rpm power of the 1 7/8.
Allow me to elaborate further....

The smaller tube looked better under 4K....tied to 4500.....after that the larger 1.875 started climbing.....more peak TQ and it naturally carried better past peak (8 RWHP in this particular test).

Unless your road racing, a 1.875 tube will usually provide the most average power but like cams, there is usually a trade off when discussing primary tube diameters....not so much so on larger engines though.....a bigger motor might want the bigger tube almost everywhere. I didn't read how big the OP's shortblock is but what I said above holds true for a 383 and smaller motor. If its larger than that you really should be in a 1.875 anyway

Hope this helps!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Allow me to elaborate further....

The smaller tube looked better under 4K....tied to 4500.....after that the larger 1.875 started climbing.....more peak TQ and it naturally carried better past peak (8 RWHP in this particular test).

Unless your road racing, a 1.875 tube will usually provide the most average power but like cams, there is usually a trade off when discussing primary tube diameters....not so much so on larger engines though.....a bigger motor might want the bigger tube almost everywhere. I didn't read how big the OP's shortblock is but what I said above holds true for a 383 and smaller motor. If its larger than that you really should be in a 1.875 anyway

Hope this helps!

-Tony
OP was stock CI with no other modifications planned.

Thank You for posting that, you the Man!

Quick Reply: 1 3/4ths or 1 7/8th headers for my setup