Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Disable Fuel Pressure Regulator in Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to Disable Fuel Pressure Regulator in Tank

I'm installing an adjustable fuel bypass regulator (external to fuel tank) on my 600 HP (motor) 2000 SS Camaro to maintain a more precise (constant) fuel system pressure. I would like to know what you recommend doing to the OEM regulator that is built into the lid of the fuel module that resides inside the fuel tank so that it does not interfere with operation of the new external fuel pressure regulator? I see it would be easy to cut the nipple off the interior of the OEM regulator so that it no longer impedes return fuel flow, if this would indeed be sufficient. Although a lot more trouble, I see that the OEM fuel regulator housing can be cut away and removed entirely and a discharge hose could then be connected to the nozzle on the underside of the bucket lid carrying returned fuel and extended down into the bucket to reduce flow restriction even more if this is really necessary. I have a Lonnie's double pumper fuel module in my tank and the second pump only kicks on during nitrous runs. I find that the rinky-dink OEM fuel pressure regulatory at the tail end of the fuel return line does not provide precise control during ambient temperature extremes and when the fuel level is below a quarter tank.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing, but I have a 98 so it is different in there. I have no emissions, so I'm hoping to use the 5/16" emissions line running to the back as my return. Then use a -6an adapter on the ends to make a patch to the original return port of the pump module.

I'm also trying to pick a regulator. Our shop as had crap luck with Aeromotive, so I'm leaning toward Weldon if I can't find a reliable cost effective option.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Disable Fuel Pressure Regulator in Tank