Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about catback to y-pipe fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question about catback to y-pipe fitment

Hello guys. I have an 01 Trans am. About 2 years ago I installed hooker long tubes and a cat-less y-pipe in the vehicle. Now the car had a magnaflow catback already installed on the car. The question I have is about the fitment of the exhaust in terms of movement.

When I installed it I had to really wrestle the exhaust hangers and bushings into position in the rear of the vehicle. There is literally very very minimal movement of the exhaust. Is this normal? The part number to the y-pipe is Hooker Y-Pipes 16723HKR.

My question is should there be some movement? Should I shorten the catback where it connects to the y-pipe with a adapter part# Dynomax Exhaust Pipe Connector 41967 because I figured since the catback slips over the y-pipe end I could just cut like a 1/2 inch additional past the catback flared part that connects to the y-pipe to give it some wiggle room if you will? Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think it depends on how your exhaust is slipped together and at what angles the piping is at when you tighten the clamps. My buddy and I have the same exhaust setups. Mine is pretty solid with very little movement. His moves around on the hangers a bit. Mine rattles here and there and his doesn't as much. That's probably because I installed mine on the ground using a jack and his using a lift lol
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to chime in here with a question about fitment of y-pipe to catback.

Just ordered the Magnaflow 16723, as far as I understand it has a 3" intermediate pipe? So how does that connect to the factory y-pipe outlet or Hooker 16723 y-pipe outlet, which both measure 2,5" as far as I understand?

Quick Reply: Question about catback to y-pipe fitment