Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mamo ported FAST Vs Mamo ported MSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet a Mamo ported LSXrt would outperform the MSD intake. I wish you could get one of them to fit a 4th gen without having to cut it up.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
read the title.......
The title did not specify the 102 but thank you.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome thread Tony! You told me about this the other day but it went past me. I thought you were talking of something else lol.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's is definitely impressive from the msd intake. Great work as always tony.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be interesting to see how the mid and short runners compare if and when FAST finally releases them.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
It will be interesting to see how the mid and short runners compare if and when FAST finally releases them.
They're not doing it for cathedral heads.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blk00ss
They're not doing it for cathedral heads.
I really wish they would. I think there's a market for them. I really want the mid-length runners for my FAST 102. You've seen my dyno graph and have followed my thread regarding the top end loss when I switched to the 1 7/8" headers. I think the mid -length runners would really help out my situation, more so than the normal runners they put in the FAST 102.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=blk00ss;19288757]They're not doing it for cathedral heads.[/QUOT.

Looks like we need to start calling them. They get 3-4 request a week hopefully they will take notice
Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Great read, thanks for the info Tony. Still hoping Vararam throws their hat in the ring one of these days..
Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write up Tony! A llsr would work well with that Mamo MSD!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm.....wonder how the MSD would preform vs the FAST when you add forced induction.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by munciegoat
Thanks for the write up Tony! A llsr would work well with that Mamo MSD!
I agree....a short travel hyd build or an LLSR is certainly the way to go with the MSD to get the most benefit from the swap

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Hmm.....wonder how the MSD would preform vs the FAST when you add forced induction.
What took you so long....LOL

Very similar....the gains would just be amplified but the trend would be the same. I think with the insane amount of air you're pushing however the crossover point would happen alot sooner. Lets face it.....you giving up a little TQ for HP is really a good thing anyway!

Hope all is well!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is quite interesting. I had my hands on probably the first or second cathedral port MSD, but mine is being fed by a F1A on a 416ci motor. I couldn't get the tires to hook up once I hit 700ft/lbs of torque at 4000rpm, so I never got a true torque number. Then once the tires did hook up, I was getting belt slip on the blower since I had the idler pulley in the wrong position, and the spring loaded tensioner had bottomed out.

One thing that I like about the MSD, that I didn't see with the FAST, is the strength and rigidity, and reinforcement for boost. I pressurized mine up to 30psi, and zero leaks.

Tony, do you have any before/after dynos of just the MSD stock vs ported? I'm curious to see the differences.

-Brien
Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Great work Tony! Thanks for sharing!

Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to highjack the thread but what about a Super Vic?

I have an LS6, Darton Sleeved 447 with a 4.125 crank, big heads, big cam, etc, etc....
Would the Super Vic be the best choice for this application?

Great write up Tony!

Chad
Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss4chad

I have an LS6, Darton Sleeved 447 with a 4.125 crank, big heads, big cam, etc, etc....

Great write up Tony!

Chad
Kind of depends on how high you plan to spin it. What are the specs of the cam? I know most cam guys will spec a cam differently based on if you're running a composite intake like a MSD, FAST, LS6, etc. versus a single plane intake.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Very cool write-up. So the MSD is best for big cubes and/or high rpm builds. The FAST is for stock cube and/or torque production builds. And if you are having trouble hooking up, switching from a Fast to the MSD may help. All of this is very good to know. I'm glad there is finally some more options. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad

Great write up Tony!

Chad
Honestly the ported MSD is the manifold of choice if you're willing to spin the engine (and have the valve control to do so) in an effort to go horsepower hunting.

It would be a better choice than a Super Vic for numerous reasons.....equal length runners (versus staggered in the single plane)....lightweight material that better resists heat (cool to the touch.....lower IAT's is always more power).....and a straighter shot to the intake port....much straighter than a single plane and air (and fluids) never like to turn!

The only reason to run a single plane IMO is you want the classic "look" of a single plane. While I haven't actually tested them back to back, the ported MSD should just make more power everywhere IMO.

Stock this intake is not a good choice.....consider this....it was independently tested during that big 21 manifold shootout Richard Holdener did and it made less power than a stock unported FAST (both of them out of the box versus out of the box).

My test featured in this thread pits my ported MSD against a ported FAST and it beats it up pretty good upstairs.....had I tested it against a stock FAST the gains would have been even greater obviously so the MSD is picking up a big chunk of power from all the porting work I did.

And it's not a surprise on this end.....I take a retarded amount of plastic out of that manifold and increase the cross section of that manifold in a big way....it is without a doubt the most involved and time consuming of any composite intake I have worked on but the results justify the cost and time involved assuming the application makes sense.

Hope this helps guys!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So what gains would you expect from a stock to ported MSD for those of us who already have a cathedral msd on our cars?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I bought a used MSD from a member here and had it shipped to hio. For one thing the upper shell gasket was effed. But hio sent me a bunch of pics of it and it looks like it's really choked down near the head port. I think this will be a good performing intake up top with some loving in the runners

Quick Reply: Mamo ported FAST Vs Mamo ported MSD