Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mamo MSD arrived!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
I notice the sig of ramairws6 on this page. Maybe it's not on pump gas but it's a N/A 445 running 9.3 @ 147.
I figure E85 to be pump gas not? I do drive to my nearest Cenex and fill er' up right outta the pump!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
I don't think there are any FAST haters in here. Probably everyone that has posted on this thread either has a FAST intake or would love to have one. We all know they make great power on a wide variety of setups. I've had a 92 and 2 102's! My 102 now is MAMO ported but I would love to see the MSD pick up some power even on stock cube engines. Either we still have a plastic intake because of street car, don't want cut the cowl up, or class rules etc etc.

FAST is done making intakes in the cathedral world. I talked to one of the guys @ Comp a few weekends ago at the YB nats and he said they will NEVER release the shorter runners for the cathedral. I think we all would love to see the MSD run better on the more max effort applications. We all want more power and faster et's!
Let me help spell it out for you guys

Actually before I do I should probably preface everything by saying/reminding you folks that I have been arguably the largest supporter of FAST intakes on the planet (so call me a FAST LOVER!).

No one has ported more of these than myself....no one. I pioneered the process in 2004 when everyone questioned WHY over a decade ago and slowly they all jumped on board to grab some of the market share and revenue from the porting.

I have always said in numerous posts over the years that I will support the FAST till someone makes something better....I dont care who's intake Im porting.....the revenue from the work is all the same for me. When the smoke clears I just want to do the best by my customer....make the most power....look like a bigger hero....etc, etc. Our wants and needs are all aligned (myself and my client's).

That said its over for the LS7 FAST....its day has come and gone....while stock they might be closer (they are actually), ported vs ported....Mamo vs Mamo, the ported LS7 MSD is hands down the superior manifold with more torque and more HP.....its no contest. I have now helped five former Mamo ported FAST LS7 customers with a Mamo ported MSD....no other changes....the least one guy saw was 20 RWHP.....the most one guy saw was 31 RWHP and the others all fell right in the middle at 25 RWHP.....this is over an already existing baseline of a Mamo ported FAST.....no other changes....same dyno.

Also, these numbers make sense because I have helped many guys with my ported MSD LS7's that swapped from stock LS7 intakes and stock TB's to my ported set-up with a larger 102 TB. These guys on average have seen 35-45 RWHP as retarded as that sounds but you cant call BS because they back these gains up at the strip with 3-4 MPH improvements in their trap speed! It's the real deal folks....while out of the box the LS7 MSD is so-so (still a few better than a FAST out of the box).....when modified properly these things just flat kick azz (I spend a good bit of time on them including heavily reworking the injector boss area which is a problem in stock trim).

Ramair....I don't know how many more threads you need to see on the Vette forum to become a believer but there are probably two dozen out there now who have taken the time to post and document their huge gains with my ported intakes. Honestly you should have been one of the first "adopters" after the results I helped you achieve with the FAST many years back. Not to mention I have offered you a money back guarantee to do the swap (publicly and privately) how many times? You have nothing to lose and all to gain....get off the fence

Let's move on....MSD cathedral vs MSD FAST

So as to save myself alot of time, if you guys haven't read this thread yet I recommend that you do.....it's the most informative on this topic with back to back testing and plotting of the two curves.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...orted-msd.html

Read that thread twice if you need to.....summing it up in a few sentences I would say the ported FAST is the better choice for most 346 builds. But....if you have a stroker or a boosted build and you can justify swapping some TQ for HP and have the ability to spin the motor high enough (with accurate valve control), the MSD is the horsepower champ (ported vs ported) and it extends your usable RPM range by 500 RPM or so (which is huge I might add!!), but all of this requires a valvetrain system that can spin that high effectively with good valve control.

You will see a good percentage of my stroker LS cathedral builds in the future running the MSD because we have plenty of torque and a perfectly set up valvetrain to take advantage of the RPM potential the MSD provides. Don't forget guys horsepower wins acceleration contests.....torque down low is fun and welcome but the car with the highest (usable) power to weight ratio wins every time assuming its geared and driven(shifted) properly.

So thats it.....call me an MSD and a FAST lover....these are the facts....there is no brand bias here at all.

Want more to read....here is a few threads about some results with my ported MSD LS7 intake from the "other" forum.....the results Im getting from these ported intakes borders on the insane

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...msd-gains.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...il-covers.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1592903050

Hope this helps guys!

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 09-15-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I figure E85 to be pump gas not? I do drive to my nearest Cenex and fill er' up right outta the pump!
Lol. I just guessed & thought maybe race gas. Knowing it's on E85 makes it even cooler.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Now I know why I got what I did for my new setup...
Old 09-14-2016, 06:05 AM
9 Second Club

Alright Tony, I just fell off the fence!! I will call you today
Old 09-14-2016, 06:22 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Hello guys. I don't have a build thread for this car but just wanted to share this piece of artwork here. I have read quite a few things about the MSD intake, mostly good but some bad, but decided it would be best for my setup. I'll tell you, I don't know if it's because this one touched Mamo's hands or what but it's perfect and install was easy, fitment was great, gaskets were perfect. I can't say enough about this intake. Very well made. I had a FAST 102 before but decided to upgrade so I have installed both and I would say the MSD was even a tad easier to install. MSD even provides little rubber stoppers to hold the rear intake bolts up while you put the intake on the engine. It fits a little more snugly than the FAST but not by much. Still clears the cowl fine. The drivers side rear 2 bolts were the hardest to get torqued to spec but I found you just need a 1/4" drive hex kit and a very short extension and it work great. I am using a full return fuel system so my rails are not stock style but they transferred directly over from my FAST with no problem at all. Anyways, can't think of anything else. If anybody has any questions on it let me know.

And for the pics!

Looks great without the lettering on top!!!

Like my throttle body spacer lol

Looks great! Quick question though. Since we still have the cable actuated throttle bodies do they make a bracket for this yet? I see where it appears the bracket would attach but it sure seems to be a LONG *** ways away from where the Fast or stocker attaches!?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks great! Quick question though. Since we still have the cable actuated throttle bodies do they make a bracket for this yet? I see where it appears the bracket would attach but it sure seems to be a LONG *** ways away from where the Fast or stocker attaches!?
I think MSD has a bracket now
Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks like this one will work.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2707/none/images
Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

I guess Mr. Mamo doesn't need my money!!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

I guess Mr. Mamo doesn't need my money!!
You get yours yet?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
You get yours yet?
Nope called him numerous times with no answer or call back. Looks like I'm stuck with the Fast!! Get yours running yet?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Nope called him numerous times with no answer or call back. Looks like I'm stuck with the Fast!! Get yours running yet?
That's weird. I usually email him and he gets back to me about 4am my time lol. I'm sure he'll get with you.

No not yet. I switched from a 98 to 99 pcm and should've swapped in a new harness when the engine was out to make my life easier but am doing it now instead. Really there's only wiring left to do though so it's close.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

PM or email me....its the best way to contact me (email is preferred)

mamomotorsports@yahoo.com

(Part of me thinks you want to be stuck with your FAST )

Assuming I'm wrong hit me up with an email and we will get it all worked out

And I do recall you called me awhile back....cant be sure if I returned the call or not (I thought I did). I certainly might have gotten busy and forgot but I assure you I will respond to your email and we will get the ball rolling if your interested in bumping your current numbers a good bit

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

Getting closer with the car. Can't wait to see how the Mamo MSD does. Just had a buddy put up some awesome numbers with a similar build. He has a ported fast 102 and you could see on the dyno graph where he could definitely use the Mamo MSD. Makes me even more excited lol.

My pcm wasn't working for some reason so I decided to swap in a different pcm that supports flex fuel and still drive by cable. Took awhile to figure out exactly what to order but found a few crazy smart guys and asked a ton of questions. Then found a place that maps them and base tunes a brand new p59 pcm to swap into a 99-02 4th gen. Mine is a 98 but I'm using a 99 harness. Ships Monday so I should have it next week and be able to get back to work. I just need to install the pcm and splice in a few wires under the dash to get that set up. Then install the exhaust and probably work out a few bugs but hoping to get it done in the next month and get it to the dyno. Then the painter. By then hopefully weather is nice again and I can get to the track asap. I might go down south to Kentucky to a track rental in April. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep this thread updated with dyno numbers and track times.

Everybody have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Please keep me posted on the ecm for flex fuel use
Old 12-19-2016, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Please keep me posted on the ecm for flex fuel use
Will do. PCM shipped today
Old 12-20-2016, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I am excited!!! Flex fuel for us!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

How did the intake fit with your mezerie water pump? Any grinding involved like the fast 102?
Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jhshnh
How did the intake fit with your mezerie water pump? Any grinding involved like the fast 102?
I didn't have to grind for the fast or msd intakes. Both fit perfect. I have heard some guy have to.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:55 AM
9 Second Club

Figured i'd post some icandy. Car is very close to being done. hope to get it started and do a little street tuning and get to the dyno by early next month. We'll see how everything goes. Just got done repinning my harness and upgrading the pcm for flex fluel and lots of wiring. Just finished all the nitrous lines and vacuum pump up under the hood last night.

Quick Reply: Mamo MSD arrived!!!