Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wideband o2 location

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband o2 location

can i run my wideband o2 sensor in the regular o2 bung just below the manifolds? i was originally going to mount in in the h pipe but the bit of reading ive been doing is leading me to believe thats not the best idea.

really trying to avoid buying 2 wide bands right now.
another tip ive been given is that the bank on the drivers side (bank 1) usually runs slightly leaner on these engines (4.8) so i was thinking id put it there, in the original o2 sensor bung if it would fit of course. starting to order some parts now for the winter...

AEM wideband hooked up to hp tuners pro is what im looking at right now unless someone has a better suggestion for a wideband. i already have hp tuners but havent picked at it yet... waiting to install my standard tranny i just have to go pick it up and get at it.

i also have an appointment to get a h pipe installed on my true duals, if anyone thinks a wideband would be ok installed on a h pipe let me know and il call the muffler guy and tell him to weld in a bung while hes installing it.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before the cats, you're liable to overheat the sensor
and get bad data (at best) under higher loads / EGTs.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Teching In

it has no cats
Old 09-28-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run the same gauge in the merge of my Y pipe, so it's reading both banks.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Teching In

it has no y pipe or cats it is true dual exhaust with truck manifolds. guess i should mention its in a 1987 chevy c10 with a 2001 4.8 vortec. i am in the process of getting a h pipe installed near the transmission cross member, not sure how far that would be from the manifold flange but my guess would be around 2 feet.

is installing a wideband in a h pipe a viable option or no? if not, the 02 sensor bungs are a couple inches from the manifold flange
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it on the drivers side, after the flange. As far as widebands NTK/ ballenger motorsports have the best most accurate widebands available. AEM is good as well but sensors generally last a lot less time.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
I run the same gauge in the merge of my Y pipe, so it's reading both banks.
this is not advised as you need accurate readings and this far back you are not getting the most accurate, real time data. View it like fuel pressure, you want as close to the injector as possible and the same applies here just taken into consideration not getting too close to burn up the sensor.

Originally Posted by parks450
Put it on the drivers side, after the flange. As far as widebands NTK/ ballenger motorsports have the best most accurate widebands available. AEM is good as well but sensors generally last a lot less time.
This. The drivers side is where you want it due to the typically leaner side of the engine. If your going to lean out its going to show here first.

I am using an Evo prosport wideband mounted in a BBK ORY which already has provisions, located about where they would have been post-cat. Another plus to the drivers side location is there is a rubber grommet under the driver seat that you can use to route the wiring of the wideband through.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
this is not advised as you need accurate readings and this far back you are not getting the most accurate, real time data. View it like fuel pressure, you want as close to the injector as possible and the same applies here just taken into consideration not getting too close to burn up the sensor.
So then every tuner who sticks a wide band in the tail pipe to get a A/F reading during a dyno session is wrong too ???
Old 09-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Teching In

hmm.. perhaps il get the muffler man to weld me another bung for the wideband just a bit further downstream from the o2. i was hoping to use the o2 sensor bung but that might be a little bit too close to the exhaust manifold by the sound of things.

is an o2 bung you'd get from a muffler shop what a wideband will screw in or do they have a special bung?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Launching!

http://www.bmotorsports.com/download...anual-2005.pdf

general guidelines. the closer the better.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^^That info is actually a little confusing....

The AFR sensor should be located between 12” and 48” from the engine, upstream of any catalyst device if so equipped. The closer the sensor is to the engine, the more likely it will be overheated, possibly shortening its life. The further it is from the engine, the more likely condensed water will get into the sensor and thermally shock it, again possibly shortening its life. The sensor should be mounted at least ten exhaust diameters upstream of the exhaust exit (ex. for a 3” exhaust pipe, that is 30”). If the sensor is mounted between one and ten exhaust diameters from the exhaust exit, the AFR measured will be leaner than the actual AFR by as much as 2 AFR at low engine speeds (i.e. less than 3000 rpm).

So not too close or you'll fry it, not to far or it will get wet and fry.

They say mount it from 12" to 48". 12 sounds to close, 48 too far. Then they give an example of 30", almost three times farther than 12". They then say (using a 3" exhaust pipe as an example) that if it is mounted between 3" and 30" from your tail pipe exit you'll get a leaner measurement. So wouldn't anything sort of in the middle be fine, assuming no cats of course?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cirose
hmm.. perhaps il get the muffler man to weld me another bung for the wideband just a bit further downstream from the o2. i was hoping to use the o2 sensor bung but that might be a little bit too close to the exhaust manifold by the sound of things.

is an o2 bung you'd get from a muffler shop what a wideband will screw in or do they have a special bung?
They are all the same.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Teching In

thank you parks. this might sound stupid but when you have a wide band do you still keep regular o2's? vehicle has no emissions equipment. i was lead to believe the only purpose of the o2 was to add and reduce fuel in a manner then extends the life of the catylic converter. wouldnt tuning with a wideband result in no purpose for the o2 on my vehicle?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cirose
thank you parks. this might sound stupid but when you have a wide band do you still keep regular o2's? vehicle has no emissions equipment. i was lead to believe the only purpose of the o2 was to add and reduce fuel in a manner then extends the life of the catylic converter. wouldnt tuning with a wideband result in no purpose for the o2 on my vehicle?
No, you need your front 02 sensors (pre cat) since your computer needs to knowto add or take fuel. A wideband is basically to make sure when your making adjustments in your tune your not leaning it out or making it to rich.

Only way to delete your front oxygen sensors is with a speed density tune which is a set parameter with no adjustments, unless it's manual.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by parks450
No, you need your front 02 sensors (pre cat) since your computer needs to knowto add or take fuel. A wideband is basically to make sure when your making adjustments in your tune your not leaning it out or making it to rich.

Only way to delete your front oxygen sensors is with a speed density tune which is a set parameter with no adjustments, unless it's manual.
Correct. Think of the wideband as a monitoring device for YOU. Your front O2's are monitoring devices for your car's computer.

Quick Reply: wideband o2 location