Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil separators, catch cans, breather tanks.. which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Oil separators, catch cans, breather tanks.. which one?

So I found a restriction in the OEM tubing which is probably why my rear main seal has gone bad due to excess crank case pressure.

I'm wondering if I can just block this hose off leading into the intake manifold and instead install a SUM-300104 breather can which runs to both valve covers like this:

Here we have an article showing the use of Summit breather tank SUM-300104 and a moroso oil air separator 85497.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/venti...haft-pressure/

Video on how to mount 85497.

What's the best way to utilize a breather can, an oil air separator, or both if I want to remove this line into the intake that has the restriction to cure the possible crankcase ventilation issue.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Here we go:

http://ls1howto.com/howto/geniii/ls6...kpcvsystem.jpg

I'm thinking that to really clean up the pvc system I need the ls6 post 2004 valley cover, the plug for the driver side valve cover, a plug for nipple on the passenger side valve cover, the hose connecting the valley cover nipple to the ls6 intake and ls6 coolant lines and block offs for the rear, or I may try to heat and bend my ls1 coolant lines around all of the protrusions on the ls6 valley cover. Oh, and an OAS.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-03-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil separators, catch cans, breather tanks.. which one?