Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Threaded Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Threaded Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Hey guys I cross threaded the manifold threads on the heads and I was wondering if I could just tap and dye it? I just cross threaded the first couple threads.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have room then get a tapered tap and clean it up. A tapered tap will start past the cross threaded area and get in the good threads so it will ensure you are tapping it straight and then as the tap gets bigger it will start cutting into the damaged threads. Use some tap lube. If you want you can finish up with a bottom tap to ensure the entire hole is cleaned up.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I tapped it, but it didn't still didn't go in straight. I tapped it in about a quarter inch. The bolt goes right in for that quarter inch and gets tight. Any idea on how to fix this? Or shall just tighten the bolt this way?
Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 276 Likes on 181 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you just do it on the one bolt hole? If so, just leave the bolt out.

One of the many reasons I advocate header studs. It is an extra $20, but just makes everything so much easier.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Ya it was just that one bolt. What's a header stud? If I leave that bolt out will it warp the manifold flange?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Those are header studs. I always pick up a set from Alper Motorsports when doing headers. Thread the studs in, install the gasket, slip on the header, and torque the nuts to 25 ft/lb. Done.

I wouldn't worry about warping the flange. Even the cheapy LS headers have a 3/8" thick flange. One missing bolt isn't going to hurt anything. Obviously, it is better to fix the threads, but if you are making things worse, just leave it out. MLS gaskets and the 3/8" flange will take care of everything.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Didn't even know those existed! Wish I would have known about them earlier. I'm using the huron turbo headers which is why I'm worried I most likely will leave it. Watching videos about helicoil, but I might make shii worse!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

As that hole sits in the picture, it should be able to be chased and the threads corrected. If you take the tap and spin it backwards, as if you were loosening a bolt, you should be able to feel it find the threads with a little skip. When you feel it skip, try getting it started with your fingers before using a tap handle.

And yes, you absolutely must be straight when drilling for a helicoil, but you should be able to salvage what is already there.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

So the hole in the picture was before I tapped it. I tapped it about a quarter inch so now the bolt goes in a quarter inch and then clashes with the old thread because I threaded it straight when it needed to be at an angle. Do you think I can still chase the hole?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

With a tapered tap, you might still be able to find the original threads using the method I described.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

well that worked! found the original threads and it worked out. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Sweet! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MuhThugga

Those are header studs. I always pick up a set from Alper Motorsports when doing headers. Thread the studs in, install the gasket, slip on the header, and torque the nuts to 25 ft/lb. Done.

I wouldn't worry about warping the flange. Even the cheapy LS headers have a 3/8" thick flange. One missing bolt isn't going to hurt anything. Obviously, it is better to fix the threads, but if you are making things worse, just leave it out. MLS gaskets and the 3/8" flange will take care of everything.
I'm glad you posted these? How durable are these since you use them a lot? I ask becuase these are CONSODERABLY cheaper than the arp head stud kit. Just makes me think they are really cheap made is all. Your input would be nice
Old 11-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm curious about the studs too, absolutely can't go wrong with those it would seem.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

They are durable. I have had a set on my daily-driven Silverado for almost two years now. I have had a set on my GTO for over three years now, and have removed the headers a couple times and reinstalled without issue. I've installed them on a handful of other vehicles, but I don't have any long term input from those installs. They key is to put anti-seize on the threads going into the head and hand-tighten the stud into the head. Torque the nut to 25 ft/lbs. The ARPs have a nicer finish to them over these with fancier 12-point nuts, but the Alper studs still look good and, more importantly, clamp the header to the head.
I want to point out that these are header studs; not head studs.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Correct. Head(er) studs. That's what I'm wanting. I'm going to order these and give a shot. I hand tighten my new kooks bolts into the new heads and those kooks bolts have a lot of wiggle and play in the bolt hole. Gave me an uneasy feeling about trying to torque them regardless of the low torque spec. I'll just order these instead.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

to avoid this in the future try keeping everything super-clean, i.e. use brake cleaner and a small pick, and some towels to clean each threaded hole, and chase them out with an appropriate tap, again cleaning as you go.

That way when you go to install the bolt finally, you can hand tight it by feeling it first couple of threads, to ensure it does not strip. You won't strip it with your hand tightening. That only happens when you put a tool on it to force it, and the dirt/filth is what creates the issue given everything else is true.

Quick Reply: Cross Threaded Exhaust Manifold Bolts