Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid
LOL T! I think it's a extra $1500? Isn't the kooks TD like $2k?
I look forward to installing mine this week, depends if I man up and do my clutch or not?
I bought my Kooks TD's and 1 7/8 headers for under 1900.00.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The difference between $1900 and $780 will buy a lot bolts and time at the exhaust shop.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OLDWS6
The difference between $1900 and $780 will buy a lot bolts and time at the exhaust shop.
shhhh, tone down your sound logic. There are snow flakes abound.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OLDWS6
That was not my point...I have already stated that the SE exhaust is a great value. Just saying the Kooks can be had for cheaper then 2k.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
So when you buy a cam you expect it to fit and be to spec right? Or would you expect the vendor to tell you to take an angle grinder to the lobes to correct it? That's just a little love right? Some people have expectations of a product based on it's description regardless of price. Now I see on Speeds's website they list a note about lowered cars which wasn't originally listed.

But comments like yours are not constructive to the vendor or consumer to help create a better product that benefits everyone. So far the two improvements suggested are better bolts and not to angle down the x-pipe, seems like small requests that could be achieved easily.
Well said. Nobody is asking much and no to some a cheaper exhaust is the way to go and that's fine but fact of the matter you buy something specifically designed for our cars, I myself along with others like a direct fit with no issues and there were issues and of course it can be fixed in many different ways but we didn't buy an exhaust just to go replace bolts, fab up different hangers or butcher the x pipe.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racecarz28
The fact that first off packaging is **** and boxing are torn apart upon arrival and some are losing parts, the bolts they give are absolute crap and need to be replaced immediately, then the design of the x pipe are being angled down and giving most cars around two inches of clearance from the road, which many have stated in this thread if you go back and read bits and pieces. Good price, bad design, bad hardware, bad packaging and handling. No disrespect to you or anyone who wants true duals. They sound good but not worth the hassle imo
1. My packaging was fine, SE cant sit in the truck with the package so you are at the mercy of fedex at this point

2. Any missing parts can be sent from SE after a quick claim, mistakes happen, the world isn't perfect.

3. The bolts are of poor quality, however it is a first edition of the system and after several complaints SE has noted this and planned to upgrade the bolts for future orders. I went to ace and got all grade 8 bolts and washers for less than 10 bucks.

4. The clearance is low, but with some fine tuning and know-how it can be installed to tuck better than the average joe who just throws it on there. And of those that have complained of low setups, have also noted that they don't seem to scrape that often. Its 3" Mandrel pipes going where they were not engineered to go in the first place, I think they did just fine and with some minor adjustments in future versions could have an almost OEM clearance.

5. The "hassle" has been reduced to driving to ACE and buying some common bolts and paying attention to what you are doing during the install.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you usnfenix..

Honestly, I think the problem to most installing our kits is that this kit is not your normal header and y-pipe installation. I even noticed when installing the kit that once the kit is together it takes a lot of fineness to correctly position everything, which requires the right install tools as well. We probably took another 30 min adjusting the entire kit using multiple underhoist stands before even tightening a single clamp. I too saw that without correctly positioning/twisting the tubes the kit would hang much lower to the ground in different locations. This is one of the most difficult exhaust kits to install correctly with all the pieces included with this kit. I personally put everything into position clamped everything as tight as possible then tacked every joint to make sure the exhaust didn't slip/sag causing clearance issues. When we were test fitting the prototype all the piping had proper clearance when installed correctly, that's why we do not have any revisions planed. However, we are looking into including an additional hanger bracket for the center section of the exhaust, which seems to be issue for most customers. Its not that the center of the kit is made too low. The kit can physically be pushed into the bottom of the car. Its the issue of the kit slipping at multiple joints lowering the exhaust with customers not knowing how to address the issue correctly. Some say that our X-Pipe points at the ground. Yes, it will point at the ground if the tubing is not twisted up accordingly. It is at that angle to properly clear driveshaft safety loops, and chassis mounted torque arms. We have installed several different types of true dual kits over the years including Hooker and Kooks true duals. The ground clearance between all of them is pretty close to the same including ours. As we stated previously we are working on better clamp bolts, and once another round of true dual kits come in we will look further into helping out some of the lowered guys get better ground clearance as well. Thank you guys again we appreciate your comments/business.

Thanks
Sean
The following users liked this post:
Z28_Demon (07-23-2019)
Old 04-03-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you usnfenix..

Honestly, I think the problem to most installing our kits is that this kit is not your normal header and y-pipe installation. I even noticed when installing the kit that once the kit is together it takes a lot of fineness to correctly position everything, which requires the right install tools as well. We probably took another 30 min adjusting the entire kit using multiple underhoist stands before even tightening a single clamp. I too saw that without correctly positioning/twisting the tubes the kit would hang much lower to the ground in different locations. This is one of the most difficult exhaust kits to install correctly with all the pieces included with this kit. I personally put everything into position clamped everything as tight as possible then tacked every joint to make sure the exhaust didn't slip/sag causing clearance issues. When we were test fitting the prototype all the piping had proper clearance when installed correctly, that's why we do not have any revisions planed. However, we are looking into including an additional hanger bracket for the center section of the exhaust, which seems to be issue for most customers. Its not that the center of the kit is made too low. The kit can physically be pushed into the bottom of the car. Its the issue of the kit slipping at multiple joints lowering the exhaust with customers not knowing how to address the issue correctly. Some say that our X-Pipe points at the ground. Yes, it will point at the ground if the tubing is not twisted up accordingly. It is at that angle to properly clear driveshaft safety loops, and chassis mounted torque arms. We have installed several different types of true dual kits over the years including Hooker and Kooks true duals. The ground clearance between all of them is pretty close to the same including ours. As we stated previously we are working on better clamp bolts, and once another round of true dual kits come in we will look further into helping out some of the lowered guys get better ground clearance as well. Thank you guys again we appreciate your comments/business.

Thanks
Sean
My perspective on this is rather simple. To some degree you mod at your own risk. Sometimes, you have to get creative, use extra persuasion, etc, when changing your car. You see similar complaints on intake fitment, electric water pumps, etc.

My kooks system was no different. I had to put jackstands in the right places, twist the pipes to provide natural upward force, etc. its not a stock exhaust and it won't go in exactly like a stock system. i wish this system existed when I did the kooks. i'd have jumped all over it.

Sometimes, you just gotta be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car.
Z28_Demon (07-23-2019)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r

Sometimes, you just gotta be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car.

Z28_Demon (07-23-2019)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-P
lol jay
Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-P
holy ****!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Teching In

So how long until a new order is ready to be shipped out? I ordered mine last night and absolutely can not wait to get it in already!! I will deal with the ground clearance. I was amazed when I seen the price of this system. More importantly hurry up Sean!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Sponsor

Lol

We listed 6/1 on the website, however we put a rush on the next batch. So we are hopping much sooner than that.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-05-2017, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Lol

We listed 6/1 on the website, however we put a rush on the next batch. So we are hopping much sooner than that.

Thanks
Sean
Any plans on offering something like below? For the guys who want dumped duals with a chassis mounted torque arm.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1

Just going by full retail for a brand new exhaust, some people cant always wait for a deal to come up in the classifieds

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=6903
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid
Just going by full retail for a brand new exhaust, some people cant always wait for a deal to come up in the classifieds

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=6903
I bought mine new for that price not used.

A site sponsor use to offer some really deep discounts on kooks products in the fall(they still might). I bought mine back in 2011. I think I paid 1250.00 for the exhaust and 650.00 for the headers. The price has gone up quite a bit since then which is why I think the SE TD is a great value.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Sponsor

blk00ss: No plans at the moment. Looks clean though.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Teching In

son of A!!!!!! You need to hurry that up that order SIRRRRR!!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Is the new batch the updated version? If you guys are really going to update them No offense
Old 04-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Sponsor

We are hoping within the next month, but have an eta of 6/1 listed.

As stated in previous posts we do not have any plans for revisions at this time.

Thanks
Sean

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!