Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you usnfenix..

Honestly, I think the problem to most installing our kits is that this kit is not your normal header and y-pipe installation. I even noticed when installing the kit that once the kit is together it takes a lot of fineness to correctly position everything, which requires the right install tools as well. We probably took another 30 min adjusting the entire kit using multiple underhoist stands before even tightening a single clamp. I too saw that without correctly positioning/twisting the tubes the kit would hang much lower to the ground in different locations. This is one of the most difficult exhaust kits to install correctly with all the pieces included with this kit. I personally put everything into position clamped everything as tight as possible then tacked every joint to make sure the exhaust didn't slip/sag causing clearance issues. When we were test fitting the prototype all the piping had proper clearance when installed correctly, that's why we do not have any revisions planed. However, we are looking into including an additional hanger bracket for the center section of the exhaust, which seems to be issue for most customers. Its not that the center of the kit is made too low. The kit can physically be pushed into the bottom of the car. Its the issue of the kit slipping at multiple joints lowering the exhaust with customers not knowing how to address the issue correctly. Some say that our X-Pipe points at the ground. Yes, it will point at the ground if the tubing is not twisted up accordingly. It is at that angle to properly clear driveshaft safety loops, and chassis mounted torque arms. We have installed several different types of true dual kits over the years including Hooker and Kooks true duals. The ground clearance between all of them is pretty close to the same including ours. As we stated previously we are working on better clamp bolts, and once another round of true dual kits come in we will look further into helping out some of the lowered guys get better ground clearance as well. Thank you guys again we appreciate your comments/business.

Thanks
Sean

Just for curiosity sake do you guys have any documentation of the installs you have done? I'd like to see what the manufacture install looks like compared to all the ones posted in this thread. Please also include measurements of ground clearance i dont care if its a can,bottle or tape measure. If not can you document the next time you install one? Also, why wouldnt you want to revise the pipes after the x? It seems like you would gain a solid 1/2" of ground clearance, unless im missing something.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The only install pictures we have at this time are listed in the product pictures.

We have discussed multiple times including in the quoted post our position on the kits ground clearance. As noted we will look into further ground clearance options for lowered vehicles when our next batch arrives. My guess is we might be adding a hanger into the kit at some point.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my $.02... I am lowered on hotchkis springs and have the rear exit system. I Haven't had any issues yet.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Default How the Frick do I install this thing??

So my only complaint so far is there no directions or guide to what goes where. The exhaust is fairly intuitive but the pile of hangers?? Anybody have some tips? Does this utilize stock hanger hardware? I just tried to look at how the tips and muffler mount and I have nothing to bolt to? Did my blow master set up screw up the factory mounting hardware? I'm no exhaust pro but I have turned a few wrenches on Camaros in the last 15 years. I have no interest in customizing exhaust hangers. Help Please!!!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter34
So my only complaint so far is there no directions or guide to what goes where. The exhaust is fairly intuitive but the pile of hangers?? Anybody have some tips? Does this utilize stock hanger hardware? I just tried to look at how the tips and muffler mount and I have nothing to bolt to? Did my blow master set up screw up the factory mounting hardware? I'm no exhaust pro but I have turned a few wrenches on Camaros in the last 15 years. I have no interest in customizing exhaust hangers. Help Please!!!
i feel you pain, the hangers for the tips where pretty straight forward, using the rear bumper bolts, but I played with the hangers for the mufflers till I think I got it right. I have them pointing to the front and the pull the mufflers outward.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

The only install pictures we have at this time are listed in the product pictures.

We have discussed multiple times including in the quoted post our position on the kits ground clearance. As noted we will look into further ground clearance options for lowered vehicles when our next batch arrives. My guess is we might be adding a hanger into the kit at some point.

Thanks
Sean
kit fits well, perhaps a hanger where the two axle pipes bolt together might help gain 1/2-3/4" of clearance. Also label the muffler hangers, i swapped them and flipped them till it looked at fit right.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid
i feel you pain, the hangers for the tips where pretty straight forward, using the rear bumper bolts, but I played with the hangers for the mufflers till I think I got it right. I have them pointing to the front and the pull the mufflers outward.
Ya I wonder if that's the variable clearance issues. Wrong hangers in the wrong place. Anybody have hanger pictures???
Old 04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 521 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter34
Ya I wonder if that's the variable clearance issues. Wrong hangers in the wrong place. Anybody have hanger pictures???
See pics on page 4 post #65.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
Sean
I understand your position on the ground clearance. But when you say the ground clearance is the same or close to same as kooks or others but dont provide any proof that it actually is leaves me to believe it's not when it may actually be but who knows because we have no proof. Now if you compare the picture of the kooks TD in this thread to pics of the Speed Engineering ones, the kooks clearly have more ground clearance after the x due to the pipes not being bent down away from the underbody. Just my thoughts not trying to bash but I like physical proof over believing everything I hear or read.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

looking at pictures, the kooks system runs a little closer to the center of the vehicle which affords a little more room above the system. Looks like the Kooks TD set up has about 3" on a lowered F body, but it too suffered from fitment issues. Bottom line, where all trying to fill a 8lb bag with 10lbs of ****!

Kooks TD clearnce

Last edited by TheeCamaroKid; 04-09-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally finished my install, I did both Speed's 1 7/8 headers and duals out the back, and I came from Hooker 1 3/4 headers, Hooks ORY, and a gutted Hooker Aerochamber muffler. So here's my review:

Just like everyone else here who's posted pictures my x-pipe looks exactly the same, I'm lowered on Stranos and have maybe 2" of clearance. Either we are all incapable monkeys or we are installing the kit as designed. It's clear the kit was never tested on a lowered car, or if even it was tested on more than one car. So everyone who's bought the exhaust is paying Speed to test their prototype exhaust.

Streetwise I cannot see this car going over ANY speed bumps because the lowest point(s) are right in the middle of the car, which is the absolute WORST place it could be. Getting out of my driveway is substantially worse now; before I'd hear a scrape for maybe 2-3", but now it goes down at least ALL the x-pipe and it's so bad my neighbors asked me what happened. Even if I was on stock height I would avoid any roads with speed bumps, that's how shitty the clearance is especially where the x-pipe bends downwards.

Now ground clearance aside the car is loud. By loud I mean really loud, and by really loud I mean really ******* loud. But it sounds AMAZING for a bolt-on car and I wish I could have kept driving it, but I was starting to feel bad driving because it was 9:30pm on a Sunday lol. I started to notice some deep drone about 1700-1800 RPM, but maybe that's still my car adjusting to the new fuel trims or something has started rubbing.

Headers: remove steering linkage and they slid right in, no problemo. A+ Speed!

Dual exhaust:
1. I had to remove the heat shield above the rear end. I then used peel and stick aluminum on the gas tank to help prevent any melting or fires since 99-02s have plastic tanks. I've seen melted tanks on other 3" dual exhaust setup on here.

2. As mentioned, upgrade to grade 8 hardware. I first snugged everything down with an impact that does ~180 ft. lbs. Then once I confirmed nothing moved, I used another impact with 350 ft. lbs (and broke a grade 8 bolt) to snug it down.

3. Use jacks and other materials to help hold pipes up and away from frame/suspension/ect. I had a terrible time getting the pipes over the rear end to have height AND to stay away from the body.

4. Prepare for LOTS of adjustments. Maybe it was my kit but the pipe connecting to the driver side muffler and tip must have been incorrectly bent. Between that and the area above the rear end, that's where 85% of my time was spent.

5. Speaking of exhaust tip, I had to cut the driver side exhaust tip hanger because it was too long and hitting parts of the bumper. It was hitting a black piece so maybe it was part of the impact foam?

6. Both body mounted exhaust hangers face towards the engine. I did not notice any difference between left or right muffler hangers.

Overall if Speed releases an updated x and pipes beyond, this will be an amazing exhaust. If you are on the fence of purchasing the rear exit duals, I have to advise NOT to purchase them yet and wait for an updated version if your car spends any time on the street. My car isn't a daily and once I get out of my driveway I love the kit as I don't plan on visiting any places with speed bumps or steep entrances. I"m thinking I might take it to an exhaust shop and fix the, "belly" of the exhaust with straight, or possibly upward slated pipe. Or I'll just wait until I rip off the exhaust in my driveway and see what's on the market then.

Last edited by _JB_; 04-09-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a bunch of wasted space above the pipes....is that the best you can get it adjusted?

Another thing I noticed...The pipes do not seem to be utilizing the tunnel. =
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
thats a bunch of wasted space above the pipes....is that the best you can get it adjusted?

Another thing I noticed...The pipes do not seem to be utilizing the tunnel. =
Gonna put it in a hoist today and see if I can gain some clearance and resolve some of the fitment issues. There's tons of unused space in the tranny tunnel, the exhaust sits too far to the passenger side, pretty sure I'm gonna end up cutting and welding to get it to fit properly and will need a few extra hangers. SE should have reused some of the factory hangers by the trans mount. Had I know people where having clearance issues befor I bought the system I never would have bought it. I hope SE steps up and corrects this moving forward, instead of telling us the one beta car they have running around is FINE, listen to us and try to correct it.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Sponsor

This is a perfect example of how pictures, and an incorrect install can confuse customers. If you look at the Kooks install the guy pushed the entire exhaust up/tacked each joint just how we noted our prototype install was completed to eliminate slipping/sagging at multiple joints. This customer install picture "below" was taken earlier in this thread. You can clearly see our exhaust can be push much higher than the examples recently noted. Again this exhaust is not your normal exhaust to install. There are many more pieces and adjustments than your standard exhaust that need to be addressed in order to make everything fit correctly.

Thanks
Sean

Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But instead of taking the time to adjust and readjust to make the exhaust fit how it was designed, its easier to get on here and bitch about the product. Everyone expects a dual 3" exhaust to fit perfectly without any effort on their part on a car that was designed around a single exhaust. Come on guys...get off your high horse, get back under the car and take your time to make some adjustments. On top of that, the people with lowered cars have absolutely nothing to complain about. Does it state ANYWHERE that this exhaust kit was designed for or fitted to a lowered car? So you're telling me that if you had this exhaust on your car at stock ride height, then went out and lowered it 1-2" and now you have exhaust scraping issues, its the exhaust manufactures fault? Yall MFers need Jesus....

EDIT: I'd still buy this exhaust in a heartbeat if I was in the market to buy a new exhaust system. Despite all the claims of poor ground clearance and fitment issues, even though my car is lowered as well. Because I have enough sense to take my time and make the needed adjustments over and over again to make the exhaust fit how it should. Speed Engineering offered something for a fraction of the cost of the next best option for a dual out the back kit for these cars and I can assure you the other dual kits would require just as much adjusting and readjusting as these kits do. Anyone who claims a true dual kit like this simply slides and clamps together with absolutely no problems or adjustment needed is a fool.

Last edited by zachm89; 04-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A normal catback on these cars can take a good amount of time to adjust correctly. I imagine a true dual setup taking quite a bit in order to be 100%. Even though I don't have one and am thinking about going back to a dumped resonator due to headaches, just wanted to say SE is badass for bringing this to the market.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gonna put it in a hoist today and see if I can gain some clearance and resolve some of the fitment issues. There's tons of unused space in the tranny tunnel, the exhaust sits too far to the passenger side, pretty sure I'm gonna end up cutting and welding to get it to fit properly and will need a few extra hangers. SE should have reused some of the factory hangers by the trans mount. Had I know people where having clearance issues befor I bought the system I never would have bought it. I hope SE steps up and corrects this moving forward, instead of telling us the one beta car they have running around is FINE, listen to us and try to correct it.
Oh didn't you read Speed's and people WHO DON'T have this exhaust comments? We ALL are installing the exhaust incorrectly, it's perfect, needs no updating, ect. Mine is pushed up as far against the body as it will go, I spent both Saturday and Sunday adjusting it. So I guess I need to start smashing the floor with a hammer or cut out the floor to make it fit. Maybe flip the x-pipe upside down and take it to a custom shop to fix areas.

I can guarantee you Speed isn't referring potential customers to this thread anymore lol. None of us are trying to **** on Speed I understand they are trying to keep cost/prices down and that's awesome, we're just trying to assist them (for FREE) to make this setup completely badass. I'm happy to assist Speed with any ideas or other product testing they have.

Last edited by _JB_; 04-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Sponsor

Thank you guys for the comments.

_JB_ : Of course we are referencing customers to this thread. Its linked on the front page of our website. We are not hiding any product reviews or comments, nor is our exhaust in a prototype phase. I understand your concerns, and your welcome to send us pictures to possibility help you with your install. It looks like you have a lowered car as well. As stated multiple times lowered vehicles may need modification. You have to keep in mind that your trying to fit 6" of tubing where factory 2.75" tubing use to be. There will not be the same amount of ground clearance as a single exhaust system.

Sean
Old 04-10-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I finally got around to installing this system on my 2000 SS. I have TSP 1 7/8" long tube headers. This system bolted right up to the headers. I took my time and spent a day tweaking each section from the front to the rear. One twist in a section of pipe will result in move adjustment in another. This system fits nicely.

I have a UMI tunnel mount torque arm with the flat crossmember. I used the supplied nuts as a spacer for the crossmember and flattened the area on the x-pipe that goes over the crossmember for added clearance. Not very hard to do with a 2.5lb hammer. Didn't flatten the pipe much either.

I used the supplied band clamps and bought grade 8 hardware to torque everything down. The hardware was about $20. I used a ratchet wrench and my jack handle as a cheater pipe. I also used nuts left over from my front bumper support delete on the rear hanger install. They have smaller diameter washers that fit.

No cutting was involved to get this system to fit properly. I placed a 2x4 on my jack and lifted at the x-pipe until it touched the floor board and tightened the main front sections first to tuck it as close as possible.

The following users liked this post:
Z28_Demon (07-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!