Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooze_1
I have the short arm I didn't have to bang anything in
Oh I missed your previous posts sorry. What's the clearance to the floor like? Ride height?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 214 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Oh I missed your previous posts sorry. What's the clearance to the floor like? Ride height?
He's running a mwc double drop cross member. The same one I had. Basically take this picture and add 1.5 inches of more clearance and that's stock ride height. I'm at a 1.5" drop.

Gooze are you at stock ride height? Can you post a pic of a soda can under your MWC double drop if you are? It would be great to see how much clearance folks can expect at stock ride height using the MWC double drop as that looks to clear the SE true duals no problem. I'm guessing 1.5" more than in my pic but it would be good to confirm.

Bummer that the MWC True dual X member with short MWC TA doesn't fit the SE true duals. That x member is definitely better than the double drop for clearance.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 04-05-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
He's running a mwc double drop cross member. The same one I had. Basically take this picture and add 1.5 inches of more clearance and that's stock ride height. I'm at a 1.5" drop.

Gooze are you at stock ride height? Can you post a pic of a soda can under your MWC double drop if you are? It would be great to see how much clearance folks can expect at stock ride height using the MWC double drop as that looks to clear the SE true duals no problem. I'm guessing 1.5" more than in my pic but it would be good to confirm.

Bummer that the MWC True dual X member with short MWC TA doesn't fit the SE true duals. That x member is definitely better than the double drop for clearance.
I'm lowered about a inch I'm on coil overs so I can adjust a bit lol I'll take a pic of it today though.

Yea the true duals x member would be right where the duals would go, with the double drop it gives it the perfect pocket to go into
Old 04-07-2018, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess we got a runt of a litter .... had it on in our garage (my son purchased it) and how low the one section hangs is ridiculous, & the over the axle section (yes with the panhard relocation kit installed) just wasn't cutting it/fit way too tight. other parts of the system were hitting or near hitting lots of parts underneath & were horrible rattles waiting to happen. ok sooooo ..... off to exhaust shop number one (decent place good known welder, had an open spot on the same day we called) = could do no better than i did in my garage - they would of had to do some cuts & welds & still were not confident that fitment wasn't a nightmare waiting to happen. ok soooo .... exhaust shop number 2 --- very respected & well known go to guy for years (did my custom 2.5 true dual over axle system, and many exhaust setups for myself & friends over the years)-- he had the whole system installed and in place but had my son & i come look at it to make sure before he even tightened one clamp or made any welds that we could see what were easily problem areas, points that were going to hit/rub/vibrate, & how the low hanging section made no sense, & of course that the clamps & bolts were pretty much junk. we opted for NO & just had him take the system off, paid the man for 90 min labor (he & his partner fiddled with it for nearly 3 & a 1/2), and opted for a custom 2.75" true dual over axle system he will be doing tomorrow, that will fit perfectly from the headers back, & for less than what the SE system cost.
sure many have had great experiences with it, but i just felt it fair to give mine, as i'm sure others will run into problems also. i would say it's well worth the money for the higher priced systems &/or a custom fabbed one from a shop. i had read many great reviews b4 referring the system to my son, but i guess when products are made in china with no QC, it's gonna be a 50/50 hit or miss. not bashing in any way simply giving my personal experience with the SE true dual system.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda wish you had pics so we could see what's going on.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone have pics of their duals dumped installed so I can see what kind of clearance you guys are getting? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Kinda wish you had pics so we could see what's going on.
yea i should've taken some in my garage & at both shops on the lifts. kinda regret it now. will do though once the custom one is finished. i'm gonna chalk at least a good portion of it up to being made in china with no quality control, the dual over the axle part being such a ridiculously tight fit even with the panhard relocation kit, the very low quality clamps & bolts that they expect you to use, & for whatever reason they have the one section hang ridiculously low - seemingly for no good reason.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
yea i should've taken some in my garage & at both shops on the lifts. kinda regret it now. will do though once the custom one is finished. i'm gonna chalk at least a good portion of it up to being made in china with no quality control, the dual over the axle part being such a ridiculously tight fit even with the panhard relocation kit, the very low quality clamps & bolts that they expect you to use, & for whatever reason they have the one section hang ridiculously low - seemingly for no good reason.
Sorry to hear. I bought dumps because I was worried about clearance with the 9". I know about the relocation bars but that's just more money so I wasn't about it. Hope the guy fabs up a killer system. Borla XR1 and flowmasters new cone muffler thing (forgot name) are supposed to be great mufflers. Did you call speed for tech support?
Fivefive934802zerozero
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Gooze_1
I'm lowered about a inch I'm on coil overs so I can adjust a bit lol I'll take a pic of it today though.

Yea the true duals x member would be right where the duals would go, with the double drop it gives it the perfect pocket to go into
I wonder if the duals are moved slightly to the passenger side then on the TSP true dual setup to allow them to work with the MWC true duals x member? TSP setup however isn't nice and polished like the SE true duals from what I recall. The new SE true duals with their TA and x member should be a good affordable combo that looks good and performs good. They may be the only company that makes both suspension and exhaust parts to ensure fitment.

Does UMI or BMR make a x member that works with the SE true duals or is the MWC double drop the only option?
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I wonder if the duals are moved slightly to the passenger side then on the TSP true dual setup to allow them to work with the MWC true duals x member? TSP setup however isn't nice and polished like the SE true duals from what I recall. The new SE true duals with their TA and x member should be a good affordable combo that looks good and performs good. They may be the only company that makes both suspension and exhaust parts to ensure fitment.

Does UMI or BMR make a x member that works with the SE true duals or is the MWC double drop the only option?
Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
I finally got around to installing this system on my 2000 SS. I have TSP 1 7/8" long tube headers. This system bolted right up to the headers. I took my time and spent a day tweaking each section from the front to the rear. One twist in a section of pipe will result in move adjustment in another. This system fits nicely.

I have a UMI tunnel mount torque arm with the flat crossmember. I used the supplied nuts as a spacer for the crossmember and flattened the area on the x-pipe that goes over the crossmember for added clearance. Not very hard to do with a 2.5lb hammer. Didn't flatten the pipe much either.

I used the supplied band clamps and bought grade 8 hardware to torque everything down. The hardware was about $20. I used a ratchet wrench and my jack handle as a cheater pipe. I also used nuts left over from my front bumper support delete on the rear hanger install. They have smaller diameter washers that fit.

No cutting was involved to get this system to fit properly. I placed a 2x4 on my jack and lifted at the x-pipe until it touched the floor board and tightened the main front sections first to tuck it as close as possible.

I used the UMI flat crossmember with a 1/4" spacers (nuts in the image).
Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

How much are the SE torque arms going for?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
I used the UMI flat crossmember with a 1/4" spacers (nuts in the image).
Very nice!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone fit this kit running the bmr xtreme torque with weld in mount? Looks like there wouldn't be enough room for both pipes unless you rework the safety loop bar possibly.

Last edited by BC178; 04-10-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see how you could make it work with the extreme weld on torque arm. Where the crossmember goes is where the x pipe sits.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Very nice!
Thanks man.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Any update on the new revised clearance exhaust systems? Are they being inserted in to the current batches yet, or are we still waiting? Plan on getting both SE headers and SE rear exit TDs, was just wondering.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote " We did make a revision to our dual exhaust for the F-body applications in order to create a little more ground clearance. I do not have a time frame on when the revision would take effect and be available in stock.
Thanks
Jesse"

That's what i was sent from them yesterday.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BC178
Quote " We did make a revision to our dual exhaust for the F-body applications in order to create a little more ground clearance. I do not have a time frame on when the revision would take effect and be available in stock.
Thanks
Jesse"

That's what i was sent from them yesterday.
Alright, thanks. Still will buy because plenty of people have made it work, I just wasn’t sure if the new ones were a thing yet.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just purchased mine 2 days ago and it arrived today! probably wont install it until next week or so. Will post pics when I do. Thanks Speed Engineering!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys.. Yes, I believe all of our rear exit true dual kits are shipping with the higher profile now.

Thanks
Sean

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!