Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals without x or h

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default True duals without x or h

Dedcided i want to get rid of my over the axle with x pipe true duals to a dump before axle. The exhaust shop misunderstood me, and didnt use an x pipe. Instead they just went straight back off each header and basically each header has its own tailpipe. Using the same mufflers, i did notice the sound quality isnt what i call ideal, but ground clearnce is real good. Besides a little less hp ans sound, is my car goona blow up?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no it will not. I had an exhaust shop create me a dual exhaust. At first it was the same set up as you have now, but it was restrictive and un even. I just had him connect it like an H except not a good one and it changed the sound a little and I feel a lot less back pressure. Not a big deal at all.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, your car won't blow up.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, your car won't blow up.
that was me just asking if everything will be cool. i def notice the shittier sound without the x. it sorta sounds like a deeper harley at idle, and a mustang to 2500
Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Its fine, I would have a tuner check some logs with wideband on both banks since it messes with exhaust backpressure.

Other than less torque, less hp, and the odd sound of dedicated pipes its not a big deal. Easy enough to add an H section later.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

The bullet mufflers were installed in that recessed area where the cats originally were so not enough room for an x there. If i got an x installed post mufflers will i still get the scavenging benefits? I mean they are dynamax bulletts....essentially no flow restriction
Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Plenty of room for an x-pipe if you do it like this...

Old 02-08-2017, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

I no thats where the old x pipe was. It rotted out. What im saying is the mufflers are about 2 feet behind the headers, then like 3 feet of pipe before axle
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its fine...
Old 02-08-2017, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

As u can see, not much length of area for an x without sharp bends........idk how that will affect flow
Attached Thumbnails True duals without x or h-image.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine...I'm reading a lot of BS here. "You'll lose HP and TQ." "More backpressure." etc etc. Yeah...no...one bend in the exhaust pipes reduces the flow by quite a bit and it doesn't matter if it's crush or mandrel. If bent and X piped exhaust made more power nobody would sell cutouts. Now there is a length to flow need that can be tuned on a straight exhaust to optimize it but it's not worth more than a single HP on something like this. The sound is where the big difference lies...for HP purposes I would take two straight pipes over a $1500 custom tuned exhaust kit any day.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss454327
You will be fine...I'm reading a lot of BS here. "You'll lose HP and TQ." "More backpressure." etc etc. Yeah...no...one bend in the exhaust pipes reduces the flow by quite a bit and it doesn't matter if it's crush or mandrel. If bent and X piped exhaust made more power nobody would sell cutouts. Now there is a length to flow need that can be tuned on a straight exhaust to optimize it but it's not worth more than a single HP on something like this. The sound is where the big difference lies...for HP purposes I would take two straight pipes over a $1500 custom tuned exhaust kit any day.
This is where you are wrong.

I had the exhaust same exhaust situation as him. When I had no cross over pipe and I let off the gas after throttle the car would build up back pressure from any amount of throttle let off and when I touched the throttle it would consistently make a large backfire like noise every time.

After getting the H installed the car hardly ever does it unless I am hard on the RPM and let off and let it build up for a bit. So yes, the H pipe helped my car with flow. The bends in the pipe are not equal so you absolutely want a cross pipe, either and X or H. The type makes a sound difference but both will make good power.

You want both pipes to flow evenly, but when they do not you want them to mix pulses to hopefully even out.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

but if i put something after the mufflers will i get the same benefits or is it pointless?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

I miss read as you went from dump to over the axle. You do not need a single thing with that set up. I should have looked at the picture first.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The reason you make more HP and Torque with an X-pipe is because the X increases the scavenging effect just like the headers. This leads to an increase in exhaust pulse velocity, leading to an easier breathing engine.

Backpressure is a myth. The only change an increase or decrease in pipe size or style of exhaust creates is a change in velocity.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Happy. It's not a myth if you can measure it. I don't understand why more guys don't use a bung and pressure test the system.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
The reason you make more HP and Torque with an X-pipe is because the X increases the scavenging effect just like the headers. This leads to an increase in exhaust pulse velocity, leading to an easier breathing engine.

Backpressure is a myth. The only change an increase or decrease in pipe size or style of exhaust creates is a change in velocity.

Scavenging is very effective if you have a lot of bends that reduce flow. It also helps equalize the pressure between the two sides since the passenger side takes a shorter path to the exit on most vehicles. Anyone crying over equal length header pipes and NOT equal length pipes AFTER the header is fooling themselves. Backpressure is most definitely NOT a myth...the way most people think of it IS a myth. You need ZERO back pressure while maintaining maximum velocity. A properly tuned exhaust will decrease in size as it gets longer.

How many of you have seen a car lose power with a cutout open after the header?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
no it will not. I had an exhaust shop create me a dual exhaust. At first it was the same set up as you have now, but it was restrictive and un even. I just had him connect it like an H except not a good one and it changed the sound a little and I feel a lot less back pressure. Not a big deal at all.
Please explain to me how you felt less back pressure.

Op, its fine. Toss in a H if the sound still bugs you after a week of driving. The h wont add power but will equalize the exhaust note.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Please explain to me how you felt less back pressure.

Op, its fine. Toss in a H if the sound still bugs you after a week of driving. The h wont add power but will equalize the exhaust note.
I said this when I thought he had gone TO and over the axle exhaust. post is irrelevant now.

BUT I say this because I could let off the throttle and the gasses in the exhaust would build up much higher and would make a very large pop (sometimes quite a few pops) every single time I would blip the throttle. It no longer does it with an H pipe unless I let off from high RPM and let it coast then blip.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My car and truck both have duals with no crossover.

3" on the car with Flowtech Terminator mufflers. Also has dual cutouts. At the track last Sunday opening the cutouts resulted in .2mph in the 1/4. This is in the normal variance for the car.

Truck has 2.5" duals with Thrush welded mufflers (I think they are flowmaster clones). Only time it pops is on long engine braking decel.

Quick Reply: True duals without x or h