Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Flow Tests: LS1, LS6, TBSS, BBK, Dorman LS2, 102 Fast LSXRT & more

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Which runner did you test on the Super Vic? The two inner runners are shorter and should flow more air than the outer two runners.

Based on what I've read the ported MSD really shines on a drag car that turns over 7000 rpm. May not be the best choice for a small cam street car with it's shorter runners.
Yes the MSD and Super Vic are designed for higher rpm and probably most at home in a big cam high 7000+ rpm motor from what I understand. However, with careful parts selection and tuning I'm sure they are street able to some degree.

For the small cam street car, I like the 90mm snout LS6. If you have an LS6 intake for $350 plus shipping you have an easy to tune, easy to install, easy to under the hood intake that flows pretty well and is proven. Used LS6 are affordable too.

It would be nice to test a Fast LSX 90/92 and LSXR 102 and a dual plane Edelbrock.

We used the same cylinder head port on the GMPP for all the testing so yes it was one of the short runners. Yes that's possible there is a variation in the flow between long and short runner on the Super Vic. Without exact port matching between the intake manifold runners and the intake ports I'm so sure it would have been worth the extra time to test the long runner. We would have had to flow an outer cylinders on the head to get a base line which means moving the head on the fixture. The testing valve Springs would have to be moved to the new cylinder. Then we'd have to change it all back again for the next test. That's just beyond my budget for this type of testing. It would have basically been the same effort as testing another cylinder head. And what if the old GMPP LS6 head flow just a 1-2 cfm difference between ports. CNC'd heads can have a little variation too. Then it would be test yet another cylinder. Just too much under the time and budget constraints. We could have done but it would have ate up all the time used to test the Wegner head and two intakes. That was more important data to me.

It's also possible for Comp Cams or Cam Motion to add an extra degree or so of duration to the cam lobes matched to the longer runners to compensate.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-21-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The 90mm snout upgrade is a big gain over the stock ls6 intake. That is good info. Mamo MSD just out-flowed a single plane that's pretty amazing.

Awesome job Wade and thanks for doing this again.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that settles it for me...my LS6 is getting a 90mm snout for bolt on work

A huge thanks to all who were involved in making this happen!!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Given what that intake did on my car I am not too surprised. On the street I preferred it over the fast 102. It had a broader, flatter torque curve

Nice work black bird. A lot of effort for sure.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Updated my chart...but my mind wanders off to what would a stock MSD flow and what would a mamo'd fast 102 flow.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Oh and the msd was debadged. Msd put so much logo on it it was gaudy and tacky. Tony took the badges off and refinished it stealth mode. I kinda like it. When I dynod, the operator first thing out his mouth is - what the hell kinda intake is THAT?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
When I dynod, the operator first thing out his mouth is - what the hell kinda intake is THAT?
Correct answer- "Top secret; if I told you I'd have to uh.... hurt you real bad" This avoids homicidal scenes...
Old 05-21-2018, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Darth, your a bad influence I'm daydreaming about a new LLSR cam & TM MSD for my white RS. The Stealth mod looks good. There was a gaudy MSD at the shop getting assembled.

Jensen, cool please let us know how the 90mm LS6 works for you. It would be great to see what Tony could do with a Fast LSXRT or LSXR. If the gaudy MSD at the shop had been assembled I would have had to ask it we could test it!

Originally Posted by sxc Z28
The 90mm snout upgrade is a big gain over the stock ls6 intake. That is good info. Mamo MSD just out-flowed a single plane that's pretty amazing.

Awesome job Wade and thanks for doing this again.
Happy to do my part I appreciate the folks that let me barrow intakes for testing

I'd like to see what Tony Mano would do portimg the Super Vic and port matching to a set of his AFR heads. We were all pretty amazed at TM's ported MSD.

All of the intakes this time are good intakes and did well in the test. Special thank you to Land Speed Cylinder Heads I would love to have Jim & Brett do a set of cathedral heads or new LT1's.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-21-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

I haven’t been impressed with the power curves of the single planes I’ve seen tested
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm surprised that the 90mm LS6 saw the gains it did over the stock LS6 intake.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Lol -- if you saw that thing with logos everywhere, that stealth mod was worth it.

@wanna-- it just means the throttle is a bigger restriction than the runners.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Lol -- if you saw that thing with logos everywhere, that stealth mod was worth it.

@wanna-- it just means the throttle is a bigger restriction than the runners.
It would be interesting to see how the two LS6 intakes compared to each other on a dyno.

The Fast 102 has slightly shorter runners than the LS6 or Fast 92. About an inch shorter IIRC. That's why the torque curve was better with the TPIS LS6 on the street.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Stealth Formula for the logo is definitely better looking

Speaking of intakes with TB restrictions, that Super Auto excels for a 75mm TB intake. I really would like to know what it would do with an 85mm or 90mm snout.

I was surprised by the LS6 90 flow numbers too. The one on my 91RS was also cleaned up with Peak Performance's radical port work.

Next opportunity to test, I'm going to see if we can cobble up a couple of radius rods for the LS6 90.

Long term there will likely be an opportunity to test a Fast LSXR - it's several months away...
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

I emailed TPIS to see if I can purchase the snout by itself. I can glue that thing on no problem so itd be nice to do a back to back at the track as quickly as possible
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 388 Likes on 153 Posts

It certainly is (the logos plastered all over make it look soooo JC Whitney!)

And here is a good picture of one without all the Arizona sand all over it.....LOL

Guys....I know whats involved in putting together a comprehensive test like whats featured here in this thread and hats off to all the players involved and the community kinda coming together to pull it off.

Im going to say quickly that flow numbers arent everything when it comes to manifold choice.....runner length and other variables have a huge impact on how a particular manifold can effect your power curve. That said it probably is a decent indicator of HP potential but the shape of the curve may or may or may not be what your looking for. I will also add that the MSD cathedral intake is the absolute worst of all the composites in out of the box trim and I take a retarded amount of plastic out of that particular intake to really get the most from it. It requires more man hours porting than any other composite intake bar none (including all the FAST offerings) but when Im finished it looks and works really well in the right application.

Speaking of the FAST, I just sold the last ported FAST on my shelf but I might be up for sending one of the next ones I finish to whatever address I need to assuming everything else is in place for the results to be worth including (the heads still available etc etc). I can tell you right now it wont flow as much as the MSD and likely wont flow as much as the single plane either but if I had to guess it would look pretty strong when compared to the rest of the playing field. We know it works on the dyno and at the race track.....I have hundreds of guys out there with my ported FAST all of whom have seen a solid bump in output after the install but I wont lie....Im curious how it stacks up in this test as well....LOL

I would probably sell it at a discount to the first guy that gets with me and makes a reasonable offer for a brand new ported piece that has 10 mins of flowbench time on it!

If you guys have an interest in seeing this and its still a viable situation (the flowtest), shoot me a PM and we can go from there

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 05-22-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A

Speaking of intakes with TB restrictions, that Super Auto excels for a 75mm TB intake. I really would like to know what it would do with an 85mm or 90mm snout.

I was surprised by the LS6 90 flow numbers too. The one on my 91RS was also cleaned up with Peak Performance's radical port work.

Next opportunity to test, I'm going to see if we can cobble up a couple of radius rods for the LS6 90.

Long term there will likely be an opportunity to test a Fast LSXR - it's several months away...
First off thanks for another great test ! I tip my hat to you ! keep up the good work . I too wonder how the Super Auto would do with a larger snout , its numbers are similar to the DLS2 ,even with the handicap of the 75mm . I was disappointed that the WS6 store was not able to submit their ported Dorman Truck for this test . It would have been interesting to see the the Super Auto vs Ported Dorman Truck ...
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 AM
12 Second Club

That smoothed over MSD is BEAutiful Tony, I will own one in the future when I go cam only.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kick *** info Wade!! Lets talk about getting the Super Vic out to someone (Tony M?) for porting, that might put it over the top and best intake for my particular application! Great work bro, don't send that thing anywhere without getting some money from me so you can ship it, you did all the work, I can pick up the tab for freight!!

Hey Tony, how much is a Super Vic port job? I have DART (205 or 255, forgot which ones) heads.

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 05-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A

Just want to confirm...the TPIS 90mm LS6 manifold tested had also been cleaned up?

I was originally looking at the flow numbers for the LS6s as a direct A-B test between the factory sized inlet and the larger 90mm TPIS inlet. If the 90mm LS6 manifold was also cleaned up then part of the gains are stemming from the clean up work so I and others need to take that into consideration when comparing. Just want to confirm so I can interpret the data correctly.

Thanks again for all your work, this is awesome.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chad, thank you for providing the Super Vic for testing. It would be fantastic if you and Tony M have an opportunity to discuss tweaking the Super Vic. I will hold the Super Vic until you let me know.

StealthFormula, the TPiS/LPE 90mm LS6 intake in the flow test is not ported. ​​​​It's the old LS6 that was on my 99TA for 15 years. The only clean up was me washing the oil out of it before flow testing it stock a few months ago. I have two of the 90mm LS6 intakes.

My 91 RS has the Peak Performance radical ported TPIS/LPE 90mm LS6. We were trying to get the endless LSXRT driveability issues sorted out and dyno tested a FAST LSX 92, the LSXRT and the ported LS6 90. We were all stunned when the ported LS6 90 made 2hp more peak and had best area under the curve hp & tq on small cam 383 stroker in the RS. Cured all of the drive ability issues too. The trick LS6 90 turned out to be ideal for the RS.

Tony Mamo I would definitely like to discuss a possible flow test and getting an intake ported at some point. The same GMPP LS6/243 heads will be available. I need to wrap current projec first. My 99 TA was stolen, then recovered with the new engine damaged. Car is back together now thanks to Norris Motorsports however the dyno tune has to be done.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-23-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Flow Tests: LS1, LS6, TBSS, BBK, Dorman LS2, 102 Fast LSXRT & more