Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Flow Tests: LS1, LS6, TBSS, BBK, Dorman LS2, 102 Fast LSXRT & more

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

The LS1 is not very good compared to the LS6, and the Dorman unit is a fairly good copy of the OEM LS6 unit, going by various posts on this forum.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
In an effort to save this thread from where its heading without really hijacking it:

Do you guys think its worth it to buy a Dorman LS6 over the LS1 intake? I'm considering it.
Worth the money, I believe so. Worth it in your application, who knows.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
In an effort to save this thread from where its heading without really hijacking it:

Do you guys think its worth it to buy a Dorman LS6 over the LS1 intake? I'm considering it.

Good article. I think the dorman LS6 needsthe snount opened up from 73-74mm to about 75mm like the LS6 to get the closer results. The runners might need a little clean up too.

I would favor a used LS6 from the classifieds for a few dollars more over the dorman LS6.

If your doing a lot of mods the FAST 90 can be very good. If the dorman LS2 proves itself in dyno testing it may be very good too. I think for the dorman ls2 a throbble bra ket is needed for drive by cable TB's.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/1...ake-dyno-test/

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 03-06-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Look how much hp the fast made interesting
Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big hammer
Look how much hp the fast made interesting
again, aftermarket 8 or 900 hundred dollar intake vs oem 350 intake. the dorman ls6 practically replicates the oem ls6 curve so if the snout could be opened up it would probably be on par with the factory ls6. the dorman ls2 is far beyond the ls6 since it has been flow tested to be better then the tbss intake.

apples to oranges big hammer
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Can someone please apply the ban hammer to big hammer? Buds is adding nothing of value to this thread.

-----

First a big thank you to the OP! Excellent work bringing this together.

I'd say the biggest stand out for me is the low lift numbers on the Dorman LS2 intake - that is going to make for great torque and driveability.

Given OP's efforts to get it this far, how hard is it for everyone to kick in a few bucks to see it through the next stage? This shouldn't be funded from his pocket alone. Using something like https://www.patreon.com/ would be a simple means of getting this done. Anything else is just a bunch of bitching and pissing in the wind by the masses. Bring the tech.
The following users liked this post:
Ted Kay (11-14-2019)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't see how you wouldn't save up the extra money to get into a FAST? It blows the LS6 intake out of the water. I'm running a FAST 102 that I ported myself on my bolt on 03Z06. It made a HUGE difference. I'm hitting 1.04 grams per cylinder on my logs...
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe

I'd say the biggest stand out for me is the low lift numbers on the Dorman LS2 intake - that is going to make for great torque and driveability.

Given OP's efforts to get it this far, how hard is it for everyone to kick in a few bucks to see it through the next stage? This shouldn't be funded from his pocket alone. Using something like https://www.patreon.com/ would be a simple means of getting this done. Anything else is just a bunch of bitching and pissing in the wind by the masses. Bring the tech.
I'm thinking this intake would be great for a sleeper. 6.0, stealth cam, this intake, a few targeted bolt-ons to reduce load on the motor, you could have one hell of a sleeper on the street. And then enjoy the hurt when the guy who just lost to you can't figure out how you're not stock
Old 03-06-2017, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by taman86
again, aftermarket 8 or 900 hundred dollar intake vs oem 350 intake. the dorman ls6 practically replicates the oem ls6 curve so if the snout could be opened up it would probably be on par with the factory ls6. the dorman ls2 is far beyond the ls6 since it has been flow tested to be better then the tbss intake.

apples to oranges big hammer
Between a fast and an ls6 the dollars per hp are basically the same. Except with the ls6 you end up with a turd intake.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by big hammer
Between a fast and an ls6 the dollars per hp are basically the same. Except with the ls6 you end up with a turd intake.
Nobody thus far has said "thanks for the input hammer". There's a reason for that. Please go back and argue with the other retards in SR&K.

The dyno graph above is on a large cubic inch motor. The point here is, for the money, one can purchase this Dorman intake, do a little home porting, and have a great 347-383CI intake. Saying the LS6 is a turd or the Dorman can't hang right next to a $1k+ intake is like John Force saying everyone else should quit drag racing and go home.

Don't argue with a retard, someone may walk by and not know which Is which.
The following users liked this post:
Ted Kay (11-14-2019)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the input hammer
Old 03-06-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how the Dorman with a little porting to smooth everything out would do against a FAST 90, it took on the biggest baddest 102 in the comparison, so suffice to say a 90 or regular 102 is worse than that.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
I wonder how the Dorman with a little porting to smooth everything out would do against a FAST 90, it took on the biggest baddest 102 in the comparison, so suffice to say a 90 or regular 102 is worse than that.
The 90/92 dynos about 10hp less than the 102 someone correct me if I am wrong. For those wanting more HP for the money id go with the FAST plus you get the growing room to grow into it as builds progress. For those wanting a cheaper, stock intake that will provide moderate gains over a stock ls1 I see no issue with the dorman.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Can someone please apply the ban hammer to big hammer? Buds is adding nothing of value to this thread.

-----

im down
Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by usnfenix
thanks for the input hammer
LOL.

I think everyone here will agree that each of these intakes has its place as well a each mod. In actual back to back testing which Black bird has done some of, the modded LS6 does very well or better than the Fast. Tony Mamo is always talking about how air speed is just as important as flow bench numbers. Back to back dyno testing is the only solid testing method but will probably never happen. If it does it will likely be on a big built motor instead of on a LS1 347 like most of the do it yourselfers have.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
The 90/92 dynos about 10hp less than the 102 someone correct me if I am wrong. For those wanting more HP for the money id go with the FAST plus you get the growing room to grow into it as builds progress. For those wanting a cheaper, stock intake that will provide moderate gains over a stock ls1 I see no issue with the dorman.
I'm curious as to how many CFM that translates to, this thing looks identical to a FAST 92 besides the posts on the inside and the fact its all welded together, it even has the notches at the end of the runners, Dorman bought the rights to the fast lowers so I doubt a 90 or 92 will dyno THAT much higher, since the FAST still has the option to be taken apart and ported on the inside so of course it's still the superior intake, I can't argue that. I still say this intake will make less than 10 HP less at the most than a FAST 90 with the runners smoothed out. I'll probably buy one and try it out. For the price of the Dorman I'll have enough left over to buy myself a LS2 throttle body and harness for my C5, it kinda seems like a no brainer, especially after the flow test.

Last edited by whatsa347; 03-06-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by codyvette
LOL.

I think everyone here will agree that each of these intakes has its place as well a each mod. In actual back to back testing which Black bird has done some of, the modded LS6 does very well or better than the Fast. Tony Mamo is always talking about how air speed is just as important as flow bench numbers. Back to back dyno testing is the only solid testing method but will probably never happen. If it does it will likely be on a big built motor instead of on a LS1 347 like most of the do it yourselfers have.
Hear, hear! (and I LOL with you... )
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
Worth the money, I believe so. Worth it in your application, who knows.
Yeah, I just have a lid and a catback. ATM I have the BBK intake but its getting hard to smog it in CA so I'm debating either going back to the LS1, getting the Dorman, or getting a FAST 92 with a tune. FAST 92 would be ideal but that's a lot of money for not a great deal more power...
Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

My TA is back from the valve spring swap...short version car is drive able but not up for synopsis testing

With that off the table let's move to the next round of testing.

What intake can we test?

Several people mentioned having ntakes they could send for testing. I think we can gel them tested and returned within one month. Any volunteers?

I have two tests but we need four to six to make it worth worthwile.

LS1 intake with ported stock TB
Ported Dorman LS2

An LS6 and Dorman LS6 and a Fast 90 and BBK would be great additions.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

On the Dorman LS6, maybe a "cleaned-up" version might be good if possible. Do they come with some of the "hiccups" in the ports that the LS2's have? Can't remember if it's been said here or another thread, are the Dorman LS2 and LS6 units identical except for the throttle body sizes?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Flow Tests: LS1, LS6, TBSS, BBK, Dorman LS2, 102 Fast LSXRT & more