Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 102 Stock LS1

Old 04-01-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
why is doing a 102 later on mandatory?
It's not. Just dealing in likelihoods. Nothing is mandatory. ****, leave it stock if you want. But typically you see guys go heads cam then go back and do intake and exhaust to make their heads cam better. That's where all these "how much power is it worth to upgrade my intake" threads come from.

All I'm saying is, since he already has the intake, save a step. Is it the bang for buck mod? No. Nitrous is. And nobody saying sell it and buy nitrous....
Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
It's not. Just dealing in likelihoods. Nothing is mandatory. ****, leave it stock if you want. But typically you see guys go heads cam then go back and do intake and exhaust to make their heads cam better. That's where all these "how much power is it worth to upgrade my intake" threads come from.

All I'm saying is, since he already has the intake, save a step. Is it the bang for buck mod? No. Nitrous is. And nobody saying sell it and buy nitrous....
sell it and buy nitrous..... probably cause of the recurring cost of n2o.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ddnspider
sell it and buy nitrous..... probably cause of the recurring cost of n2o.
Lol, I was wondering how long it would take
Old 04-01-2017, 06:15 PM

I'm trying to figure out if OP regrets even asking or is laughing his *** off right now
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I'm trying to figure out if OP regrets even asking or is laughing his *** off right now
this isn't even close to the worst theads on this site so I'm OK with it haha.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Wait look at Post 45.

I said sell it and buy Nitrous yesterday...
Old 04-01-2017, 10:45 PM

So you did.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 798 Likes on 608 Posts

I think he should go old school and run a dual plane and carb.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by xKittenWhispers
Hello everyone, been lurking around here for a little while now but finally got around to making and account.

I recently received a fast 102 intake manifold in exchange for some work. Since then I have been trying to find out if there would be any benefit to installing it on my stock LS1. So far all I have found is a little talk of the increased runner lengths being beneficial, before the thread turns into the argument of cost vs return. Engine is completely stock minus block huggers (swapped into a datsun will run custom headers later on down the road) 110,000 miles. Either way the car will be getting tuned before it runs again to have removed systems delted and dialed in before getting beaten on, on the autox and road courses. What I'm trying to find out is:

1.) if there is any benefit to installing it now.
2.) If there is should I run either a 90mm throttle body or 102mm or use the stock ls1 throttle body?
3.) Would the larger intake make the car less responsive to throttle input on the stock engine?

The main propose behind the car is to start with a solid base and develope the rest of the car as I develope as a driver. So things such as a heads and a cam won't come around for another year or two.

Thank you for any help you can throw my way, John
I would put the intake on the shelf and install it at the same time as the heads and cam upgrade that will eventually come based on your comments above.

I had a Fast 102 LSXRT intake on my 383 LS1, the ported 90 mm TPiS LS6 that replaced the LSXRT, yes that's right the 102 LSXRT got pulled off for a Mod 's LS6 intake and the mod'd LS6 was was better in every way on my small cam stroker. The 90/92mm LS6 set up was better on the dyno by 2 hp, easier to tune, drove 100x better, more responsive. Needless to say my results may unique due to the small cam in the 383.

I think the LSXR 102 will give a small gain on the stock Motor if properly tuned. I doubt you will feel the difference. Depending the road course the car may be slower with LSXR if the throttle response is compromised with a mediocre tune.

I know for a fact the smaller tweaked 90mm LS6 intake set up on my RS would slaughter the 102 LSXRT on the track, on the dyno and on the street. On other combinations that might not be true.

It's a question of risk vs reward to me not a question of cost.

Short version is if you have access to an outstanding tuner you might get a little benefit from the LSXR on an otherwise stock motor. If the tuner can't deliver you may have a worse performing car.

So I would wait and do the LSXR intake with the heads and cam install. It will have more potential to shine and deliver. The tuner will likely have more experience with heads, cam, intake install and tune than just an intake install. I think this is the less risky course.

Best wishes on your car and modifications.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 04-02-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

NA vs FI vs NOS

Ignore the Internet, build the type of engine you're interested in your car. Most importantly please yourself by crafting your car to do what you want it to do.

Tom Nelson of Nelson Racing Engines sums it up nicely.

One of my best friends had a Procharged 02 SS Camaro back in 2002, it ran low 10's. The car was incredible at that time and I don't recall how many races both on and off the street he won. Easy Power was addictive, eventually after about 58 dyno pulls the car made ~680 rwhp on race gas.

My 99TA did pretty well back then even just being a heads, cam & intake car but is was light years slower than my friends 02 SS.

Reality is a harsh mistress and it's always tempting to crank up the boost. By 2003, the 9000 mile SS needed a new engine and couldn't even be cheated through an emissions test. By 2004, the car was sold to someone else who made the SS full fledged race car. My friend still can't bring himself to talk about what happened with his 02 SS.

We still ride around sometimes in my HCI NA 99TA that has exactly the same engine and set up it did 15 years ago.

If you want FI, cool go for it - just make sure you factor in ALL of the factor, risk and cost, otherwise being to ambitious may cost you dearly as it did my friend. Never mind all of the chaos the FI 02 SS brought to his family life...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAST 102 Stock LS1