Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I LOST 20ftlbs. And 5 hp!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Also being 1 year apart and "the same type of day" without having the weather data from the dyno doesn't mean anything. I dunno about you but I can't tell you the barometric pressure just by walking outside. Nor the humidity.

Also on the new graph the HP could have still be climbing when the run was cut.

The torque plot on the first graph looks strange.

Curious if the tuner adjusted timing or only fuel.

Was this done with the cutout open or closed? Wondering if it was closed and causing turbulence in the exhaust (I'm not familiar with the layout and where the cutout is, could be disruptive to flow when closed though)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Also being 1 year apart and "the same type of day" without having the weather data from the dyno doesn't mean anything. I dunno about you but I can't tell you the barometric pressure just by walking outside. Nor the humidity.

Was this done with the cutout open or closed? Wondering if it was closed and causing turbulence in the exhaust (I'm not familiar with the layout and where the cutout is, could be disruptive to flow when closed though)
The cut out was closed on all the runs.
I have the Macs back on and scheduled another dyno tune for Thurs. the 20th. I guess well find out!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

I don't know what he may have adjusted. I do remember that he said it was running rich on the tune for the first graph. What looks strange about the tq graph? Yea I also noticed that it seemed like the hp was still climbing when he stopped. The first graph it seems he took it further into the rpm range.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Re my Y merge comments - here's an image showing
two different Y-pipes that TSP sells. The one on the
right is good, the one on the left not so much.
Attached Thumbnails I LOST 20ftlbs. And 5 hp!-y-merge-styles.png  
Old 04-14-2017, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Re my Y merge comments - here's an image showing
two different Y-pipes that TSP sells. The one on the
right is good, the one on the left not so much.
Here is a pic of the SE y. It looks good to me.

Last edited by dave04da; 04-14-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

A lot can happen in a year.
More miles on one oil than the other, more build-up on pistons/valves, different plugs with different gaps, etc etc.

The fact that one is Standard and the other is SAE means you should just throw any and all assumptions out the window completely.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
A lot can happen in a year.
More miles on one oil than the other, more build-up on pistons/valves, different plugs with different gaps, etc etc.

The fact that one is Standard and the other is SAE means you should just throw any and all assumptions out the window completely.
this has been my point all along, not apples to apples and jumping to assumptions.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
this has been my point all along, not apples to apples and jumping to assumptions.
He doesn't seem to be getting the point. You didn't call for backup but I'm here to lend it
Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
He doesn't seem to be getting the point. You didn't call for backup but I'm here to lend it
Old 04-15-2017, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Just so people don't get confused. STD and SAE are correction factors. This means they have a premeditated outside temp, humidity, etc. already factored in. STD and SAE are interchangeable using this formula:

STD - (STD x .026) = SAE
Old 04-15-2017, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good spot spider.

The SAE/STD thing is not on his side here anyway. It would make the numbers with the LT headers even lower.

One other thing I notice is the hp/tq split. With the macs it's even tq to hp. The long tubes shows more power to tq.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

It's interesting cause I've seen the std to sae conversion go either way where sometimes it's higher and sometimes it's lower, ll depends on the weather. I know temp was the same but didn't check on baro
Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddnspider
It's interesting cause I've seen the std to sae conversion go either way where sometimes it's higher and sometimes it's lower, ll depends on the weather. I know temp was the same but didn't check on baro
I'll get the print out next week when I go back. I should have took it but I wasnt real happy at the time. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I took it in and found this out rather than think I made an improvement in power when I actually don't think I did. I'm not saying good reputable long tubes aren't better, I think this MAY show that all long tubes are not created equal. Its one thing to just bend up some tubes in a jig, weld it up and say this is a great looking header but don't know how it performs. Without any real dyno testing and tweaking to the design to achieve maximum power all you have are some pretty pipes. I think you get what you pay for!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Torque and HP should be the same at 5250 rpm, which the graphs show.

Last edited by wannafbody; 04-15-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

OP can you email me the pics you have on here of the dyno graph?
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

I brought my popcorn too!

P.s. ive never seen sae track more than std on the same dyno.

If it were mw between the 2 runs id look everywhere on the overlay for any power gains at all. Seems like all the excuses are being thrown out, but at some point youve got to say with all the claims out there X should have outdone Y but this is prob really the first comparo between them at the same place with the same car and the same tuner. Trying to say youd just need a cam better designed for those headers isnt an excuse at all. If they are better they should have added power. No ifs ands or butts about that.

On an unrelated note (read shameless plug) our mac headers are here
Htth://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/index.php?cPath=235_82_43&sort=3a&filter_id=78

Most of this post is in good fun of course, but there are some very good questions that come up from it.

I dig it!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

I'm skeptical because there are plenty of other people who've shown significant gains. I've got these longtubes in my 700fwhp Camaro with no signs of choking....does that mean I would pick up by going to Mac mids.....I think not.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by sxc Z28
Just so people don't get confused. STD and SAE are correction factors. This means they have a premeditated outside temp, humidity, etc. already factored in. STD and SAE are interchangeable using this formula:

STD - (STD x .026) = SAE
That's correct. The difference from SAE to STD is 2.6%.

So, if you apply the SAE correction to the STD numbers... he drops about 10HP. And I'm not sure about you, but dropping 30HP by swapping headers doesn't seem likely.

This makes me think there is another issue with the car that needs to be troubleshot. Of course, swapping back in the mids with either show the power restored or a continued trend in lost power.

I bet you see power down from the 391 number last year. Meaning you may have an issue with any number of things. But then I'd do a leakdown and see. You may have an issue with a ringland, valve seal, etc. If you drove the car hard in the last year, you could have hurt the motor.

If the power comes back. Set the headers on fire.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

It could be as simple as a weak spark plug or Crack in the porcelain, or a plug wire slightly melted. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
OP can you email me the pics you have on here of the dyno graph?
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

I brought my popcorn too!

P.s. ive never seen sae track more than std on the same dyno.

If it were mw between the 2 runs id look everywhere on the overlay for any power gains at all. Seems like all the excuses are being thrown out, but at some point youve got to say with all the claims out there X should have outdone Y but this is prob really the first comparo between them at the same place with the same car and the same tuner. Trying to say youd just need a cam better designed for those headers isnt an excuse at all. If they are better they should have added power. No ifs ands or butts about that.

On an unrelated note (read shameless plug) our mac headers are here
Htth://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/index.php?cPath=235_82_43&sort=3a&filter_id=78

Most of this post is in good fun of course, but there are some very good questions that come up from it.

I dig it!
Email sent! Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
That's correct. The difference from SAE to STD is 2.6%.

So, if you apply the SAE correction to the STD numbers... he drops about 10HP. And I'm not sure about you, but dropping 30HP by swapping headers doesn't seem likely.

This makes me think there is another issue with the car that needs to be troubleshot. Of course, swapping back in the mids with either show the power restored or a continued trend in lost power.

I bet you see power down from the 391 number last year. Meaning you may have an issue with any number of things. But then I'd do a leakdown and see. You may have an issue with a ringland, valve seal, etc. If you drove the car hard in the last year, you could have hurt the motor.

If the power comes back. Set the headers on fire.
Man, anything is possible! I only put about 3,000 miles on her last year and I really don't beat it. I'm 40 yrs old not a kid. Not that I don't like to run it, I just do it smart! No bouncing the rev limiter or power shifting. I checked all the plugs and regapped them when I put the Macs back on, they all looked perfect and exactly the same burn on all 8. I was at the track once last year and it ran great. I did a 12.7 at 113. It was about 50 degrees out and the track was slick so my 60' weren't the greatest. It feels just as strong as ever. But who knows man, I guess we will know more on Thursday!

Last edited by dave04da; 04-15-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: I LOST 20ftlbs. And 5 hp!