Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtf Misfiring Cylinder 2 and 3 AND Bank 1 is Lean

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf Misfiring Cylinder 2 and 3 AND Bank 1 is Lean

Soooo after i installed headers and deleted my emissions systems earlier this spring i noticed i was throwing code for bank 1 running lean(p1133), i then proceeded to do a little investigating with my scan tool, it seamed that both bank 1 and 2 were running lean, with bank one running about 5% higher with bank 1 spiking close to 25%.

Being worried about running the car lean i then enriched the fuel slop so that now under load we are hovering around -3 to 1%, but still with bank 1 running about 5 higher. I figured that was good enough for now and and decided to change out fuel filter.

earlier this week i noticed i was throwing a code p0300( in addition to throwing codes for the missing cats/emissions system, p0135, p0140, p0160) for a random misfire and with the scan tool found that cylinder 2 and 3 were misfiring. znd i attributed this to the car being run a bit rich.

I have yet to change the fuel filter, and am just waiting for a night this weekend i can pull it in the street and change it out without covering my driveway with gas.

Once i change out the fuel filter, im gonna return the tuning to stock and see if im still running lean and encountering misfires. If this persists im gonna swap cylinder 2 and 3 spark plugs first, recheck, then if it still is happening im gonna swap my coil packs.

to me i think the issue is the dirty fuel filter and maybe a couple bad coils. im trying to clear this up before i take it to get a tune put on.

I wanted to see if any of you guys have experienced a similar issue or had any wisdom to share with a greenhorn like me.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

When you did the header swap, did you get it tuned? Since LTs move the O2 sensor further down the exhaust stream it changes how the PCM reads it, and has a tendency to lean out the motor.

A bad ignition coil would not cause a lean condition. All the coil does is provide spark.

I would look at your injectors (make sure they aren't clogged/"fire" correctly) and the fuel filter.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah man, i did just change my fuel filter out, and not that this would fix fucked up injectors but i just ran a half tank with a bottle of seafoam in there, but i was attributing the coils to the misfire, and the i was thinking the misfire could also be somewhat due to the fueling condition but i am actually in the midst of finding a good tune put on it once i find a recommended shop around the Pittsburgh area.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can have the car down for a couple of weeks, you could always mail the PCM to Frost and have him tune it. For something as simple as headers he can get you a solid tune that'll probably cost less than a local tuner would charge.

How many miles are on the car? It could be that the o2 sensors are bad and reading incorrectly. I had one get messed up by an exhaust shop and it made the car run pig rich until I got it swapped out.

Quick Reply: wtf Misfiring Cylinder 2 and 3 AND Bank 1 is Lean