Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 6.0s are so thirsty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017 | 12:23 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Make sure you drive a 2014+ truck first. The NNBS trucks feel good but there's an unparalleled level of refinement feeling to the 14+

I keep looking at the 07-13 trucks and want a 6.2 truck BAD but man the 07-13 truck feels cheap in several ways to me and I work on them a lot. And all the things I do to them that I've never had to even consider doing on my 04 keeps discouraging me from getting one. There's things I love about them and hate. The 14+ trucks won't be in budget till next year so I'll wait to upgrade my truck or just keep mine forever. The newer gen trucks don't hold up as well as the NBS truck did. The NBS was one of those vehicles a manufacturer just got everything right on as far as durability. Everything lasts almost forever on them. I've had some 14+ come in with busted a/c lines and/or condensers with low mileage and googling it it's a common issue. Like 10-30k low mileage. It's frustrating when you're considering buying one and having owned a NBS that's at 190k and only needed a water pump and that's it in it's whole life. Other than that just maintenance.. rear brake pads, belts and fluids, and tires. Not a single thing else. Not even front pads yet.
The 14+ trucks just take everything to a different level. The new 5.3 has so much more torque than the old one.
Old 11-08-2017 | 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

And issues with valves carboning up lol
Old 11-08-2017 | 12:32 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

Just takes more floorin to keep it clean!
Old 11-08-2017 | 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Pretty much all the DI engines have carboned valve issues
Old 11-08-2017 | 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Volkswagen 2.0tdi dont.
Diesels dont normally either

The issue is likely related to the ring pack gm decides to use. And of course how the fuel doesnt help break it up.
Old 11-08-2017 | 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Good point. I am not sure the NNBS would be worth the extra money at this point. I really like the 16+ front end but those trucks aren't in my price range right now. I think I'd be extremely happy DD'ing and towing with a NNBS 6.2L though.

My 03 1500HD only has 56k miles on it. I just wish it pulled better and got slightly better MPG. I also have a few little quirks with mine that I really need to address. One being that the ABS kicks in while coming to a stop and the other is the converter unlocking at highway speeds and will take a few miles to lock back up. This continues over and over.

I may be wrong but I think a good torque converter such as a trailblazer stall (280mm) will help your truck big time at highway speeds..... 🤔
Old 11-09-2017 | 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

I think he has an electrical issue with the ABS acting up and the converter unlocking/locking. A different converter should not affect highway driving at all, as it should be locked up at those speeds.
Old 11-09-2017 | 01:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The locking and unlocking part is due to misfires normally. usually from blowby/oil consumption, odd maf readings, oil buildup on spark plugs, odd map readings, or weak coils. A partially failed oil pressure sensor can do that also. Since the ops and map share the 5v reference itll show odd map readings even tho the map is ok.
Ask me how i know.

Abs part is normally from dirty sensors, rings, or failing hubs. esp low speed activation. gm has a tsb about it.
Old 11-09-2017 | 06:52 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by wannafbody
GM really dropped the ball by putting the 5.3 in trucks instead of the 5.7.
Totally agree and i bet the 5.7 would have had better MPG. I wish gm would make a 4.8 or 5.3 turbo for the trucks since so many people do it with the junk yard motors with great results. I would think a 4.8 with twin turbos would tow like a **** and get great mpg.

Last edited by gagliano7; 11-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2017 | 07:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The locking and unlocking part is due to misfires normally. usually from blowby/oil consumption, odd maf readings, oil buildup on spark plugs, odd map readings, or weak coils. A partially failed oil pressure sensor can do that also. Since the ops and map share the 5v reference itll show odd map readings even tho the map is ok.
Ask me how i know.

Abs part is normally from dirty sensors, rings, or failing hubs. esp low speed activation. gm has a tsb about it.
I have the misfire table completely maxed out in the tune. I know anything can happen but the truck only has 56k on it. I plan to scan everything while driving and see what happens when it unlocks. I am going to try putting the stock tune back in too and see if that does anything. Have you heard anything about a CASE Relearn fixing weird issues? I have read on some other forums that guys have done this and it worked. It seems to be a fairly common problem for these things but I haven't really found much for answers.

The ABS thing has to be something with my front right hub/ABS sensor as when it kicks in the wheel wants to go to the left. I am going to pull the sensor out and see what it looks like. I have read about this issue as well and once again it's fairly common. It hasn't really bothered me enough to look at it yet since it only does it coming up to a stop and at less than 5 MPH. I just don't want it to get worse as I know that could be quite scary if it happened on the highway.

Maybe it IS time to unload it? Ha.
Old 11-09-2017 | 08:02 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I have the misfire table completely maxed out in the tune. I know anything can happen but the truck only has 56k on it. I plan to scan everything while driving and see what happens when it unlocks. I am going to try putting the stock tune back in too and see if that does anything. Have you heard anything about a CASE Relearn fixing weird issues? I have read on some other forums that guys have done this and it worked. It seems to be a fairly common problem for these things but I haven't really found much for answers.

The ABS thing has to be something with my front right hub/ABS sensor as when it kicks in the wheel wants to go to the left. I am going to pull the sensor out and see what it looks like. I have read about this issue as well and once again it's fairly common. It hasn't really bothered me enough to look at it yet since it only does it coming up to a stop and at less than 5 MPH. I just don't want it to get worse as I know that could be quite scary if it happened on the highway.

I had the same issue with my dads truck ABS. You can unplug them from the ABS module and the brakes will work normal but you won't have ABS. I think you can unplug one side at a time to see which size is the problem. I ended replacing both his wheel bearings since his truck had 130000 miles on it and where the sensors attach was all corroded. IF your wheel bearings are in good shape you can just replace the sensors. Put some RTV around the sensor when you install it since the reason they go bad is water gets in there.
Old 11-09-2017 | 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I had the same issue with my dads truck ABS. You can unplug them from the ABS module and the brakes will work normal but you won't have ABS. I think you can unplug one side at a time to see which size is the problem. I ended replacing both his wheel bearings since his truck had 130000 miles on it and where the sensors attach was all corroded. IF your wheel bearings are in good shape you can just replace the sensors. Put some RTV around the sensor when you install it since the reason they go bad is water gets in there.
I thought about doing that but didn't want the lights on the dash. I will see if I can't clean up the sensor first and if that doesn't work I will go to the next step. Most guys get away with cleaning up the sensor though.
Old 11-09-2017 | 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Totally agree and i bet the 5.7 would have had better MPG. I wish gm would make a 4.8 or 5.3 turbo for the trucks since so many people do it with the junk yard motors with great results. I would think a 4.8 with twin turbos would tow like a **** and get great mpg.
Gm only has 3 cids now for lt v8 5.3 6.0 and 6.2.
Old 11-09-2017 | 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Why would you ever max out misfires in the tune? x2 takes care of nearly any issues with even huge overlap.

Put misfire enable temp to 256 and see if it still does it not just max out tables. and remove p0300. JUST for a test. never leave it like that.
Old 11-09-2017 | 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Why would you ever max out misfires in the tune? x2 takes care of nearly any issues with even huge overlap.

Put misfire enable temp to 256 and see if it still does it not just max out tables. and remove p0300. JUST for a test. never leave it like that.
To see if it would stop unlocking is the only reason. I have driven the truck maybe 100 miles since I have done that though.

I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
Old 11-09-2017 | 12:32 PM

I think you just validated both EcoBoost and KingTalon.
Old 11-09-2017 | 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I think peopke would get tired of paying for premium every fill up esp bs e10 premium. As well as the oil pressure issues ive seen with the ls engines esp in trucks. Using a 4.8 to tow with, even with turbos doesnt seem like a good idea at all. Thats just like using a 4cyl turbo to just because they make high hp. A full load would laugh at that until it blows up with what i haul on the norm.
There is a reason ford doesnt have the ecoboost tt v6 in the heavy duty trucks.
Old 11-09-2017 | 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

Don't forget the ecoboost trucks have 10 speed automatics vs GM 4 speeds/6 speeds.
Old 11-09-2017 | 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Don't forget the ecoboost trucks have 10 speed automatics vs GM 4 speeds/6 speeds.
Only starting this year. 6 speeds thru 2016.
Old 11-09-2017 | 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Ask me how i know.

ABS is 100% from corrosion in the hubs like tech is alluding to. I have changed both of mine twice in 325K miles. I had the ABS fuse pulled for a couple of years. Hubs started making noise, changed em and then voila !! ABS works properly again. A couple of years go by, ABS acts up..... pull the fuse again. It has currently been pulled for 4 or so years now.

tech - thats some good info on unlocking and locking. Why would the converter care about misfires? Ever since I put my circle d converter in the lockup had been super random. But I also constantly throw misfire codes - like hundreds of thousands of recorded misfires - because I put a new pcm in and never did a crank relearn.

Quick Reply: Why 6.0s are so thirsty?