Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 6.0s are so thirsty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This thing gets like 9 mpg but I don't care, so I guess that's okay.

Why 6.0s are so thirsty?-fsdieaz.jpg

Last edited by NEstyle; 02-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by NEstyle
This thing gets like 9 mpg but I don't care, so I guess that's okay.

details ?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

So sorry to hear about your dad...my wife had breast cancer so I know it ain't no easy road...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CattleAc
So sorry to hear about your dad...my wife had breast cancer so I know it ain't no easy road...
no it's not but we go fight it.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Your in a 2500 truck. Everything is bigger/HD vs a typical 1500 . Weight is increased thus requiring more gas to get it going. Pay the pipper to don't tow much and get a 1500
Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

My 454ci 2500 gets pretty good gas milage compared to the 6.0 2500 trucks.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

About what do you get Tusky? Puttin' around, highway?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Also what brand wiper blades you gots like ?
Amazon Amazon

I have put these on all of my vehicles. They are cheap and seem to work well.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G Atsma
About what do you get Tusky? Puttin' around, highway?
10-11 city/12-13 on the highway. The air filter is dirty and old. Maybe a new one will help those numbers. The MPGs on big blocks don't change really no matter rather you towing or not. Towing capacity of this truck is 11k pounds or so. My truck came factory with a 14 bolt with factory 4.10 gears and a 4l80E.

I know 13 mpg on the highway sounds harsh but it's roughly 90 cubic inches bigger that a 364ci (6.0) and the 6.0 truck owners are usually dissapointed with towing performance. It's not the case with my 454ci. The grunt the truck have is just crazy. Not to mentoned a 6.0 LS motor is supposed to be computerized to help numbers on mpg... but in reality it's not the case.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Seaso...Asuburban+2500

I have put these on all of my vehicles. They are cheap and seem to work well.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Thanks for the link on the wipers and thanks for the word about my pops. Hopefully after towing mirrors from boost auto parts and tint the truck will look better and a little different.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the link on the wipers and thanks for the word about my pops. Hopefully after towing mirrors from boost auto parts and tint the truck will look better and a little different.
I need to get some towing mirrors on my 2500 Suburban. I have replaced the headlights/marker lights, interior lights with LED's, and put a black grille on it. I bought black replacement bumpers I still need to get installed and eventually put my Pioneer double-din in it.

I haven't reset the DIC since I bought it and it's showing 10.8 MPG, lol. So far, it's down only 1.5 MPG from the 1500HD I had but I haven't messed with the tune yet and I have made quite a few in town trips. The power difference is amazing though.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
I need to get some towing mirrors on my 2500 Suburban. I have replaced the headlights/marker lights, interior lights with LED's, and put a black grille on it. I bought black replacement bumpers I still need to get installed and eventually put my Pioneer double-din in it.

I haven't reset the DIC since I bought it and it's showing 10.8 MPG, lol. So far, it's down only 1.5 MPG from the 1500HD I had but I haven't messed with the tune yet and I have made quite a few in town trips. The power difference is amazing though.
Look up boost auto parts. Their towing mirrors have a 5 star rating. You can fully customize your mirrors... paint to match, chrome or black on the cap. The light colors are customizable as well too.

When it comes to towing buddie these big blocks are no slouch. Do you have a pic of your Suburban?

I also just ordered a single din pioneer from crutchfield. Do you plan on replacing the door speakers with a upgrade ?

Last edited by Tuskyz28; 02-20-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM
9 Second Club

Look up boost auto parts. Their towing mirrors have a 5 star rating. You can fully customize your mirrors... paint to match, chrome or black on the cap. The light colors are customizable as well too.

When it comes to towing buddie these big blocks are no slouch. Do you have a pic of your Suburban?

I also just ordered a single din pioneer from crutchfield. Do you plan on replacing the door speakers with a upgrade ?
I looked at those mirrors but not sure I want to drop $200 on mirrors. I can get the heated and powered mirrors from eBay for less than $100. That's the route I will probably go. I don't need the outside lights and the two backup lights necessarily. Plus I don't want to deal with wiring them in, lol.

I've attached a couple of pics. The first one is right after I got home with it. The next one shows the new grilled, bowtie, and lights. I did put LED's in the low beams and DRL's as well. Going to slowly convert the rest of the lights over too. Still need to get my black bumpers installed and paint the lower valence.

I'll get a chance to tow with it for the first time this weekend. Going to get my buddies boat out of storage so he can get some needed work done on it. It's a 95 Crownline 225 with a big block in it and a wake tower. I pulled it with my truck before so I will be able to compare it to the BBC Burb.

My Suburban has the Bose in it and to me it sounds just fine. I had this same Pioneer double din in my truck when I had it for a short time and it worked and sounded great. It had the factory Bose in it as well.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...EX/AVH-1330NEX

I bought that thing less than a year ago right when it came out and it was $400. Now they are selling for less than $250 which is cheap for an Apple CarPlay radio.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

10-11 city/12-13 on the highway. The air filter is dirty and old. Maybe a new one will help those numbers. The MPGs on big blocks don't change really no matter rather you towing or not. Towing capacity of this truck is 11k pounds or so. My truck came factory with a 14 bolt with factory 4.10 gears and a 4l80E.

I know 13 mpg on the highway sounds harsh but it's roughly 90 cubic inches bigger that a 364ci (6.0) and the 6.0 truck owners are usually dissapointed with towing performance. It's not the case with my 454ci. The grunt the truck have is just crazy. Not to mentoned a 6.0 LS motor is supposed to be computerized to help numbers on mpg... but in reality it's not the case.
This. There is no replacement for displacement. I don't care how many fng computers are on a motor or how new it is. A 6.0 will never compare with a 454. I'm so disappointing with LS engines in trucks. Great car motors though.

One random thing that I'm gonna throw out cuz it popped into my head thinking about towing. My grandfather (still alive) was very big into Airstreams. Bought a brand new 34 footer every 4-5 years for decades. HAd tons of tow vehicles over the years. The two that I remember from when I used to go with them on trips were very different. First one was a Cadillac with a 305 TBI and 3.08 gears. WOW. It was an impulse buy but he made it work. The next vehicle after that? A 454 Suburban. I guess he decided the luxury wasn't worth more than the power.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I can't complain about the way my 6.0 tows......and I've pulled some pretty heavy stuff....up to 16k in my dump trailer. Normal car pulling type stuff it almost never downshifts on the highway if you don't use the cruise control. Using the cruise will make you think it's working way harder than it needs to because if it drops a few mph it will probably downshift clean to 2nd gear to speed back up.

Mpg could be better i get typically 11-12 town and mid to upper 14s on the highway(can be more or less on both counts). But it runs decent and the truck feels nimble with that engine in it. It ran a 16.1@86.xx at the track. Outran my brother in laws stock 15 dmax.....tho it don't tow as easily as the dmax.

I have a 04 dmax I've been fixing up. It pulls easier than the 6.0 does. They simply don't downshift.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
They simply don't downshift.
You don't need to when you have peak torque in the upper teens RPM-wise...
Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Hard to reply working 2 jobs. Been hustling hard lately my pals.

RedRocket- the eBay mirrors have a bad rating/reviews so thats why I'm not buying none of those. You may want to consider. Also I've read on other forums where they say the eBay mirrors fits like crap and shakes all over the place. That's why I recommended boost auto parts mirrors. They have a 5 star rating. I wish my truck had bose speakers. I'm losing my mind on a speaker brand choice for my truck. The doors are 6.5s and the pillars are 4x6s. I'm really leaning towards polk audio but not quite sure yet. Some guys swear by pioneer door speakers. I love those wheels on suburban. I'm considering putting some like that on my truck. They are lighter than my steel wheels and I might pick up some gas milage going to a lighter wheel. Also I'm thinking of running nitrogen in the tires instead of regular air. It's worth a shot.

WS6- you are exactly right. The 6.0 truck motors just don't have the grunt of the old big block. I tell you what the big block has one hell of a sound too. I'll never tow a 34 foot trailer but I know the 454 go pull my camaro easily like clockwork.

Hio- The Dmax/diesels is the way to go if you can afford it. They are simply the best towing vehicles period. However, I know if something goes wrong I can't afford to pay 2 grand in parts then another grand in parts to get it fixed. I always hear about injector problems out the duramax trucks.

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to really break. It's been raining here every other day. Rain, rain and rain. I'm go do some cosmetics work when I get a chance. First thing I'm go do is take that John Deere plate off the bumper and replace it with a Chevy plate.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

RedRocket- the eBay mirrors have a bad rating/reviews so thats why I'm not buying none of those. You may want to consider. Also I've read on other forums where they say the eBay mirrors fits like crap and shakes all over the place. That's why I recommended boost auto parts mirrors. They have a 5 star rating. I wish my truck had bose speakers. I'm losing my mind on a speaker brand choice for my truck. The doors are 6.5s and the pillars are 4x6s. I'm really leaning towards polk audio but not quite sure yet. Some guys swear by pioneer door speakers. I love those wheels on suburban. I'm considering putting some like that on my truck. They are lighter than my steel wheels and I might pick up some gas milage going to a lighter wheel. Also I'm thinking of running nitrogen in the tires instead of regular air. It's worth a shot.
These are the ones I am considering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Heate...53.m1438.l2649

They have 100% buyer feedback for what that's worth, ha. I have also thought about these that have good feedback too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-Silve...53.m1438.l2649

I like these wheels a lot too. I'd like to go up to some 265's from these 245's eventually. These tires are brand new so it's hard to justify spending the money on new ones.

The Bose is decent for what it is and seems to wakeup with an aftermarket deck. My Dad put some Polk 6.5's all around in his Avalanche and they sound really good. I am usually a fan of Pioneer speakers as well and have always enjoyed them when I used them.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

WS6- you are exactly right. The 6.0 truck motors just don't have the grunt of the old big block. I tell you what the big block has one hell of a sound too. I'll never tow a 34 foot trailer but I know the 454 go pull my camaro easily like clockwork.

Hio- The Dmax/diesels is the way to go if you can afford it. They are simply the best towing vehicles period. However, I know if something goes wrong I can't afford to pay 2 grand in parts then another grand in parts to get it fixed. I always hear about injector problems out the duramax trucks.

Now I'm just waiting for the weather to really break. It's been raining here every other day. Rain, rain and rain. I'm go do some cosmetics work when I get a chance. First thing I'm go do is take that John Deere plate off the bumper and replace it with a Chevy plate.
I've always had good luck with Infinity Reference speakers. They aren't going to thunder the cab in a size like that but they def sound good even with a decent powered head unit.

What are these 5 start mirrors that you're talking about? Towing mirrors could come in handy, lord knows I wish I've had them before. Plus my power mirrors haven't worked in years. PLUS I went to get my mail once 8 years ago and folded my driver mirror in to get close to the mailbox and the mechanism inside snapped, it's been held together by a liberal amount of gorilla tape ever since.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I've always had good luck with Infinity Reference speakers. They aren't going to thunder the cab in a size like that but they def sound good even with a decent powered head unit.

What are these 5 start mirrors that you're talking about? Towing mirrors could come in handy, lord knows I wish I've had them before. Plus my power mirrors haven't worked in years. PLUS I went to get my mail once 8 years ago and folded my driver mirror in to get close to the mailbox and the mechanism inside snapped, it's been held together by a liberal amount of gorilla tape ever since.
Google boost auto parts mirrors. They have it going on over there.

on the speakers I want some speakers to hit all notes. They don't have to be best speakers in the world but I don't want no cheap Boss bullcrap eithier. Also this is my CD player I ordered from crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Why 6.0s are so thirsty?