Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 6.0s are so thirsty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Flywheel but TPIS customers all say they setups delivers what they say to the customers.
To me if something is PROVEN its PROVEN especially at westech. Richard Holdener does engine builds for a living. In his ls1 how to book you'll see him put parts up against each other.
This vs that... By the way I'm still wanting on someone to prove me some numbers on big hammers thread but all I hear is crickets over there.
Look, be honest. if someone other than yourself posted up "i should be at 475 HP, because I got 25 from my headers, 10 from by ported TB, 50 from my cam, etc" you'd be the first one to jump on and say "well, that's not PROVEN". And yes, you'd capitalize PROVEN. If it's OK for you to be skeptical, then it's OK for anyone to be skeptical.

It still looks and reads like a ricer math post. Yeah, Westech is well-respected. Yeah, Holdener is well-respected. AND, I actually AGREED with you - 475 flywheel HP I believe. But it still looks like a ricer math post.

Hammer's thread is WAY off topic, but..... So trapping 135+ on a track that had such a greasy surface they had to shut it down early and completely resurface it doesn't prove anything? That's more proof than the "PROVEN" 475 below. It's crickets over there, because race season is over for him, and he hasn't done anything since.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

It's quite funny how all those mods adds up to 475 hp on the money.
Yes adds up. Like darth said thats not real world math. Thats exactly what i said it seems like a guesstimate. Esp with that cam. Add accessories and a drivetrain onto the engine and see what it makes then.
You want closer to real world look at the tsp cams. They test every one of their 5.3 cams on a stock 5.3. Its in full factory trim minus the accy and they use HP Tuners to tune it on a factory computer. They run it first as is then just drop the cams in. They have dynod nearly every single cam they offer IN its intended engine in stock form. No ringers, no bs. They do use their 100mm maf setup, but you can see that on their videos. That is as close to an A B C comparison as you will get. And you dont have to call for specs and pricing.

I could easily see the 475 they claim if they used an ls2 or ls2 clone build for 475 out of that cam. Lq4 or lq9? No. Not even with ricer math. Mods dont stack like that. A quick internet search shows some claims of 50+ hp gains just from a tune and 31* of timing on a stock lq4 on an engine dyno. Call me crazy but i dont believe that. And you cant run that on the street either. Youd detonate all down the block from the shop.

Instead of arguing magazine builds, go out, buy one or build one, and put this thread to bed. Gleaning the internet for something someone else did years ago even seems foolish ESPECIALLY if they use it in a magazine build.

Westech isnt TPIS either. They both do good work. But id bet their dynos wont show the same when ran against each other. Thats why you cant race a dyno.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Look, be honest. if someone other than yourself posted up "i should be at 475 HP, because I got 25 from my headers, 10 from by ported TB, 50 from my cam, etc" you'd be the first one to jump on and say "well, that's not PROVEN". And yes, you'd capitalize PROVEN. If it's OK for you to be skeptical, then it's OK for anyone to be skeptical.

It still looks and reads like a ricer math post. Yeah, Westech is well-respected. Yeah, Holdener is well-respected. AND, I actually AGREED with you - 475 flywheel HP I believe. But it still looks like a ricer math post.

Hammer's thread is WAY off topic, but..... So trapping 135+ on a track that had such a greasy surface they had to shut it down early and completely resurface it doesn't prove anything? That's more proof than the "PROVEN" 475 below. It's crickets over there, because race season is over for him, and he hasn't done anything since.
In actually wasn't far off trapping 137! Spinning through 2nd gear too
Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

The package is dyno PROVEN.

You guys may be getting a little kerfuffled between net and gross hp. 475 gross hp imo is pretty easy to believe. But a stock truck 6.2 wouldn't be far off that either.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Well guys let me tell you guys a secret that happen to me two weeks ago. Two weeks ago I went to a junkyard that have over 20 square body pick up trucks. All in nice shape for their age. The guy told me face to face none of those trucks are for sell.
He is a white guy..... I'm a black guy.

I called back this past Saturday mourning. I put my hillbilly voice on " hey feller how you doing? I'm ok how about yourself? I'm okay my friend but I need a truck for my farm animals, my goats acting up, pigs being hard headed and my cows are all over the place. Do you have a truck you'll sell me to move my livestock? He simply replied. Yeah I do man... come take a look and pick out which one you want and I'll put a price on it. I said thanks and hung the phone up.

I live in Mississippi guys, some of yall may not understand where I'm from.

What a world we live in. God bless all you guys that have chimed in on this thread and thanks for all opinions but unfortunately things isn't that easy for me to grab around here.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

What is a later truck 6.0 but an ls2 with less compression and smaller cam. The stock intake and exhaust don't matter here. Those cam specs may fool people into thinking it's like an ls9 but really it's nowhere close. Without doing the math I'm going to guess it's going to raise the DCR of the 6.0, and the breathing abilities are going to go up a lot. The lq4 cam sucks Bepis for hp where the ls2 cam starts of being better. So with that cam, an intake and a set of headers on an engine dyno I could easily see 475 gross hp. Heck a guy could make it out over 500 no prob with that cam with some over night parts from Japan
Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Well guys let me tell you guys a secret that happen to me two weeks ago. Two weeks ago I went to a junkyard that have over 20 square body pick up trucks. All in nice shape for their age. The guy told me face to face none of those trucks are for sell.
He is a white guy..... I'm a black guy.

I called back this past Saturday mourning. I put my hillbilly voice on " hey feller how you doing? I'm ok how about yourself? I'm okay my friend but I need a truck for my farm animals, my goats acting up, pigs being hard headed and my cows are all over the place. Do you have a truck you'll sell me to move my livestock? He simply replied. Yeah I do man... come take a look and pick out which one you want and I'll put a price on it. I said thanks and hung the phone up.

I live in Mississippi guys, some of yall may not understand where I'm from.

What a world we live in. God bless all you guys that have chimed in on this thread and thanks for all opinions but unfortunately things isn't that easy for me to grab around here.
man, that just plain eff-worded. Sorry to hear that.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by big hammer
What is a later truck 6.0 but an ls2 with less compression and smaller cam. The stock intake and exhaust don't matter here. Those cam specs may fool people into thinking it's like an ls9 but really it's nowhere close. Without doing the math I'm going to guess it's going to raise the DCR of the 6.0, and the breathing abilities are going to go up a lot. The lq4 cam sucks Bepis for hp where the ls2 cam starts of being better. So with that cam, an intake and a set of headers on an engine dyno I could easily see 475 gross hp. Heck a guy could make it out over 500 no prob with that cam with some over night parts from Japan
TPIS do have a in house engine dyno.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You mean what is an lq4 besides not an ls2?

There is a similar magazine test that showed 430s hp on a used stock lq4 with gmpp carb mani msd 6010 and 483 with the gmpp hot cam. That seems quite a bit more believable. But still that cam is by far bigger than the zl9.
Link to article

That is the major issue trying to compare articles. Which one is right? Do it yourself then youd know.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
man, that just plain eff-worded. Sorry to hear that.
Just how the cookies crumble. After all I thought money was green not black or white.
I'll find one eventually (square body) that's in savalble shape that'll be worth having. It'll just take more time acourse due to my circumstances.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Just how the cookies crumble. After all I thought money was green not black or white.
I'll find one eventually (square body) that's in savalble shape that'll be worth having. It'll just take more time acourse due to my circumstances.
Youd be better off looking in the states to the west. Less issues with rust and rot to begin with. Maybe nicer people as well.

Hell ive got an 87 square you can HAVE just come and get it. Its a 2wd c20 also.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

My favourite square body would be around a 75
Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Youd be better off looking in the states to the west. Less issues with rust and rot to begin with. Maybe nicer people as well.

Hell ive got an 87 square you can HAVE just come and get it. Its a 2wd c20 also.
TBI truck wa wa wee wa
Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

My favourite square body would be around a 75
Mines too. I like the round lights but it's a nose job LOL
Old 10-25-2017, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Mines too. I like the round lights but it's a nose job LOL
I like the round headlights and vertical fender lights. And the 75 era had a deeper grill than 78+
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I like the round headlights and vertical fender lights. And the 75 era had a deeper grill than 78+
Sound like you dig the square body trucks as well
Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Sound like you dig the square body trucks as well
They were my first love

I have my 87 4x4 yet. Was a TBI 305 but I swapped it to a TBI 454. Sounds cool but it's not. Eats th700's like mad but makes no power at all. I bought a written off 2006 3/4 ton so I'm going to 6.0/4L80 swap it
Old 10-25-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

They were my first love

I have my 87 4x4 yet. Was a TBI 305 but I swapped it to a TBI 454. Sounds cool but it's not. Eats th700's like mad but makes no power at all. I bought a written off 2006 3/4 ton so I'm going to 6.0/4L80 swap it
That's awesome! 700 trannys are known for failure. Any Mods to the 454 big block ? Sound like a great truck to have sitting around when you need it.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

That's awesome! 700 trannys are known for failure. Any Mods to the 454 big block ? Sound like a great truck to have sitting around when you need it.
No it's stock. Makes great torque between 1000-2000 rpm but then completely runs out of breath by 3000 lol
Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Duration at .050 - 204/212
Lift with 1.7 - .501/.501
Lobe separation 116
Intake center line 112

That's the one they recommended for me.
Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Tusky no 2500+ 6.0/6.2 truck came with dod only vvt.
The nnbs 1500 6.0 vmax has both though.
With that cammotion cam, you may as well put in an 01 ls6 cam...its nearly the same. Maybe that answers your question on it. Very weak on lift also.
The main difference between the two cams is valve timing. While the duration and lobe separation angle are similar, the Cam Motion truck cam has more advance. This makes a very big difference in torque off idle and power below 5000 RPM. This will make all the difference in the world in a heavy truck, especially if used for towing or carrying loads. With that said, you could advance the LS1 camshaft and get a very similar result to the low-lift "drop-in" version.

We also offer a "high-lift" version with .550" lift. So, there is the "drop-in" version truck cam for guys who don't want to change valve springs from factory and we have the "high-lift" version truck cams for use with our performance replacement beehive valve springs.

http://www.cammotion.com/camshafts/t...204-212-116-4/

Quick Reply: Why 6.0s are so thirsty?