Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering y pipe :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Engineering y pipe :(

Well I researched for a while and saw a few post of people saying that their setup is way off on alignment, hit and miss and some who said they didn't have a problem. Let me say I debated long and hard rather to spend the extra bucks and go with Texas Speed or even the expensive Kooks.
Well YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, mine was way off and I had to pay a muffler shop $100 bucks to fab the thing up to work. So in the end I didn't save a dime. I thought that maybe it was a slim chance id get a bad one well I did.
Moral of the story is you might want to think twice about trying to save a dollar because it may cost you more in the end!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Teching In

and by the way I do have their long tube headers so no mix match.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I have two different friends, both with their long tube headers and ORY, and both have said they fit very well. Sounds like its hit or miss with these guys
Old 11-28-2017, 06:14 AM
Launching!

I have their 1 7/8 long tubes and ORY. Fitment was dead on for me.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Sorry to hear that. I have two different friends, both with their long tube headers and ORY, and both have said they fit very well. Sounds like its hit or miss with these guys
Im betting they are all the same. Im also betting that what some people call fitting correctly I would call fitting like ****. The driver side on the speed engineering y pipe needs a complete revamp. From the piece of pipe that dips down right off the header to the bend right where the trans crossmember is. Yeah it fits and all but the driver pipe is not where it should be on the car.

The TSP headers and y is an easily justifiable extra 140 bucks over the speed engineering stuff.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Teching In

I agree!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been beat to death but, the hit or miss is accurate. I have two sets of the headers and Y-pipe. On my 2002 fit was horrible and had to be modified. On my 1998 zero issues. Must be a year thing
Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your business, and I am sorry to hear of any fitment issues you are having. Our Y-Pipe has not changed design in the last 3 years that we have been selling them. I am not really sure why all of a sudden they dont fit right. From what we have measured/tested the jigs that our Y-Pipes are built on only have 1/8" variance between all of our batches. Can you please explain what you had to spend 100.00 on.

I also wanted to clarify the reason behind the first pipe on the drivers side. It is specifically designed that way. It's designed to be rotated allowing our customers to bring the exhaust up to the bottom of the car, or further away from the car as needed. We have no plans on smashing that section of the pipe for more ground clearance. If you rotate the pipe up it is already higher than the lowest point of our headers.

Thanks
Sean
Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you for your business, and I am sorry to hear of any fitment issues you are having. Our Y-Pipe has not changed design in the last 3 years that we have been selling them. I am not really sure why all of a sudden they dont fit right. From what we have measured/tested the jigs that our Y-Pipes are built on only have 1/8" variance between all of our batches. Can you please explain what you had to spend 100.00 on.

I also wanted to clarify the reason behind the first pipe on the drivers side. It is specifically designed that way. It's designed to be rotated allowing our customers to bring the exhaust up to the bottom of the car, or further away from the car as needed. We have no plans on smashing that section of the pipe for more ground clearance. If you rotate the pipe up it is already higher than the lowest point of our headers.

Thanks
Sean
Explain to me how rotating this piece of pipe is going to position the pipe higher than the lowest part of the headers "WITHOUT" ******* up the angle of the end of the pipe that connects to the y pipe?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

And notice that the end that connects to the headers I am holding straight.

TSP y pipe is not "smashed" anywhere and it doesn't dip down off the header and it doesnt hit the floor of the car. It is smoothly ovalized. So whether you wanna call it oval, smashed, clearanced, ...however you want to wordsmith it just fix it already. 3" of ground clearance is too low. Thats what a car with modest lowering springs is gonna have.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Y-Pipe is slip fit at every connection, and yes you can rotate the pipe up and down without affecting the rear exit location. We have installed it that way for several years now.

I am honestly not sure how the new design TSP Y-Pipe fits. I am simply referencing that we have never had any issues with our Y-Pipe fitment to our knowledge. If there was an issue we would have revised it a long time ago. We revised both truck Y-Pipes to improve fitment/clearance, but have never run across a reason to revise our LS1 Y-Pipe minus the fact that a few guys want to oval the drivers side pipe for lowered vehicles.

Thanks
Sean
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Explain to me how rotating this piece of pipe is going to position the pipe higher than the lowest part of the headers "WITHOUT" ******* up the angle of the end of the pipe that connects to the y pipe?

I had to make a slice and bend it to make it fit/clearance correctly, right in in the middle where your are holding it.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me clarify something. The SE headers and y pipe are good quality. They "fit good". The ground clearance is just **** because of that spot right at my pinky finger in the above picture due to the bend further up the pipe that drops down off the header. Yes you can rotate the pipe up and down and the rear part of the pipe will move up and down but that spot at my pinky finger barely moves at all.

If you use the o2 bung on the pipe in the picture above as the reference point, the y pipe fits best when its straight or 3:00 position. If you rotate it counterclockwise to where the o2 bung is say at the 1 or 2:00 position it moves the rear of the pipe up but also moves it sideways toward the passenger side of the car because of that spot where my pinky is. You can actually get the rear of the pipe so high it hits the car but that pesky spot where my finger is will still be the Achilles heel with ground clearance.

Last edited by Full-Force; 11-28-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine fit really well.I rotated mine so it's as close to the body as I could get it. Mine hit the floor at the back of the Y where it went into the lone straight to the rear under hard WOT. Is there a way to see it installed under your car?? really im just interested in seeing it for myself.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Mine fit really well.I rotated mine so it's as close to the body as I could get it. Mine hit the floor at the back of the Y where it went into the lone straight to the rear under hard WOT. Is there a way to see it installed under your car?? really im just interested in seeing it for myself.
i took it off ....sitting in garage....waiting on my 3.5" tsp catback to show up

Im adding a 3.5" merge to the tsp y pipe.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My speed engineering fit perfectly on my 02 ws6.. there is so much room for adjustment on the y-pipe, I'm not sure how it wouldn't fit every application.. kind of weird
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
My speed engineering fit perfectly on my 02 ws6.. there is so much room for adjustment on the y-pipe, I'm not sure how it wouldn't fit every application.. kind of weird
Same here, I only ditched it to go true dual dumps and they have the same pieces. It isn't even an SE dump kit either.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Hey guys I recently spoke with Speed Engineering and I have to say they really do care about the quality of their products. My issue was that of alignment and I am very please with their effort to insure that regardless of issue they want the customer happy in the end. Simply if not just for that I would continue to do business with them. I am happy with their solution to my problem. Thanks to Speed Engineering for standing behind their products!.....
Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I had to cut the SE Y pipe to get it to fit on the SE headers. This is how much it was off by and how much I had to cut.

This isn't even my biggest issue however, my biggest issue is that my MWC short torque arm requires the double drop cross member in order to work with this SE Y pipe. What I want is to be able to use the MWC catback crossmember which has better ground clearance. I'm going to try the TSP 3" Y pipe with these SE headers and see if that will clear the MWC catback cross member. Here's what it looks like now with the SE Y pipe:

This is the cross member I want to use which just arrived:

I was hoping that I could use my Pacesetter Y pipe with the speed engineering headers because I know that it doesn't need a double drop cross member to work, but unfortunately the angle at which the pacesetter headers come out is different than the Pacesetter Y, and so there goes that option. Here's the modded Pacesetter Y which won't mate up to the SE headers. I was hoping that it would. It would work great for someone with Pacesetter headers.

Time to try the TSP Y pipe.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For ground clearance run the BMR TA012 torque arm.. it goes over the exhaust versus under. It's a real tight fit, but a real nice set up. I'm wondering if they sent you all of the right parts for that y-pipe that didn't fit.. that seems off by a lot, like it was bent wrong or something

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering y pipe :(