Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman Truck Intake info/porting (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 345 Likes on 233 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is this something WS6 Store is going to market when finished, or is this just kinda' for us do-it-yourselfer's to admire/copy...???
Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

There is so much more behind the scenes that it takes to make this manifold the end product we will have, but i felt like this info should be out there.
We will have this manifold up and on the market if it produces good results. Both in unported and ported form. If it doesnt then itll just be an fyi/for science and curiosity thread lol.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
There is so much more behind the scenes that it takes to make this manifold the end product we will have, but i felt like this info should be out there.
We will have this manifold up and on the market if it produces good results. Both in unported and ported form. If it doesnt then itll just be an fyi/for science and curiosity thread lol.
Are you sending it to black bird for flow testing?

I ordered the knock off of the dorman. The super auto 615-183x. I know of 2 dorman 615-183 intakes that would warp once bolted down.. both guys had to epoxy them shut.. Both intakes were on n/a engines. One of them actually cracked back open and will no longer seal at the head. The one super auto intake I have seen was on a mild 5.3 with 13 lbs of boost. He took it out of the box and bolted it on. No issues for the last 6 months of daily driving. That's why I grabbed a super auto for $130. I am going to either panel bond the 2 halves or epoxy them since I plan on running 15 lbs of boost. Rather be safe then sorry.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by cantbuytime79
Are you sending it to black bird for flow testing?

I ordered the knock off of the dorman. The super auto 615-183x. I know of 2 dorman 615-183 intakes that would warp once bolted down.. both guys had to epoxy them shut.. Both intakes were on n/a engines. One of them actually cracked back open and will no longer seal at the head. The one super auto intake I have seen was on a mild 5.3 with 13 lbs of boost. He took it out of the box and bolted it on. No issues for the last 6 months of daily driving. That's why I grabbed a super auto for $130. I am going to either panel bond the 2 halves or epoxy them since I plan on running 15 lbs of boost. Rather be safe then sorry.
Yes its going to him.
The intake does need some tlc but they do keep revising it to make it better. We will be doing upgrades as well that are included in the end user price that still makes it VERY affordable even.
This thread gives alot of info but there is still plenty of extra work needed. I think the issue is the gasket thickness on the truck manifold gaskets was not taken in to account. Thats my take on the few issues i have heard of.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes its going to him.
The intake does need some tlc but they do keep revising it to make it better. We will be doing upgrades as well that are included in the end user price that still makes it VERY affordable even.
This thread gives alot of info but there is still plenty of extra work needed. I think the issue is the gasket thickness on the truck manifold gaskets was not taken in to account. Thats my take on the few issues i have heard of.
I'm definitely going to be following along.

Did you measure the throttle body opening before and after you reworked it? I read its a 78mm. One guy says he measured 75mm. It looks tapered to me and I was hoping it would easily go to 80mm.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Inside of upper shell. Notice the very sharp ledges after tb opening (top) and the occlusions into the runners by the profile of the outside of the manifold. Marked in red. Some are from bolt holes. The bolt bosses will be ground flush then either plastic welded or plugged.

Map sensor hole is in the back.
The injector bosses stick quite a way down into the runner, but every injector is different, so the only real profiling should be on the "inboard" side of it and slope to the outside.
Next is the somewhat hard to imagine pic of the upper shell (upside down) with the inner runner piece installed. This shows the transition (or lack of) from tb to plenum.

Pic after quite a bit of profiling

And one more for this post naked tb bolted to the intake. Unported tb and unported tb snout. Fits pretty good as far as the opening goes, the iac channel and clean air pcv port need work though.
Looks like you a good plan of attack that should yield some gains. This intake has some short comings that I don't think you can do much about ...... the #2 intake runner has an irregular shaped opening and is pinched. Behind the throttle body snout , it has a lip at the 2 o'clock position. Do you plan to do any sculpting in this area ?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by omc8
Looks like you a good plan of attack that should yield some gains. This intake has some short comings that I don't think you can do much about ...... the #2 intake runner has an irregular shaped opening and is pinched. Behind the throttle body snout , it has a lip at the 2 o'clock position. Do you plan to do any sculpting in this area ?
Ill assemble it tonight and take some pics and see whats up there.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill assemble it tonight and take some pics and see whats up there.
I look forward to seeing your pics of progress with this project. Do you have any other plans of porting the runners , besides the the red circled areas . I'm more curious about the first 3" of the runners from the openings , to up and over the spine hump., than the runner clean up at the bottom.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ill take a look there but honestly there isnt a whole lot extra that needs to be done really to make it flow well. It tapers down to a small port so keeping the velocity up is going to be the key.
Are you talking about in the center "runner" section? The large amount of material around the mouth of the port that transitions to the floor of the runner?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to see a side profile of the runner horn ! It appears to have a decent transition from opening to the head. Have you taken any cross section measurements ?I'm thinking that if the first two inches were ever so slightly increased, it may benefit, I would look at the car intakes for comparison. But the port walls look pretty thin so not much can probably be taken there.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by cantbuytime79
I'm definitely going to be following along.

Did you measure the throttle body opening before and after you reworked it? I read its a 78mm. One guy says he measured 75mm. It looks tapered to me and I was hoping it would easily go to 80mm.
I did not work the tb area only the upper slope to the iac passage.
Across the middle its 75mm on the nose. It can be worked to 78mm easily. 80mm may be an issue but not sure. 80mm could be attained by filling the area in with epoxy and using a fiber gasket but not sure if there would be any retention ledge left for rubber gasket at 80mm. Its considerably larger than 75 so not sure i want to get into that now. i may later and snag an 80mm bbk tb.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

(It wont let me post pics at this time...looking for work around that isnt photobucket lol. stay tuned)

Short side of runne to head flange is 11 inches. Outside is 18 1/2 inches. csa changes so much its hard to get any accurate reading.
Pic is of #2 runner right after tb opening. it basically pools right into it after sculpting. You can knife edge it more, but idk how well that would work vs how it already is.

Note:
The runner section is made to be somewhat universal ie it doesnt have a front or back BUT it does have 2 "slip stream slopes" on the inside of runner for cyl 2 that directs air to runner for 1 (pictured) so its not universal and should be noted during reassembly. The bellmouth to runners 1 and 2 are tapered front to back also for better airflow to them and dont have as pronounced of a lip on them.

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 12-06-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,519 Posts

This HAS been GOOD, but it's getting even BETTER!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Tell me if these turn out right (ps i hate instagram)

View this post on Instagram
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Looks good to me....
Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can upload pictures directly onto ls1tech. There is a gallery button at the top of the page and then you can upload to your own album. After that you can insert an image from that album.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how I've gotten around Photobucket going to crap.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I guess my image space is all used up. IG will work better because itll post to all 3 places. our fb page, IG, and here....but still wont to the local paper. Oh well.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

You can save pics to your computer then select insert image in the tools above the blank posting area here (it's the yellow square with a mountain looking thing in it) and load the image that way.

I thought we could only do image hosting to post pics but recently figured out the insert image thing. I save them to my desktop and go from there.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
You can save pics to your computer then select insert image in the tools above the blank posting area here (it's the yellow square with a mountain looking thing in it) and load the image that way.

I thought we could only do image hosting to post pics but recently figured out the insert image thing. I save them to my desktop and go from there.
I have been doing that the entire time from my phone. but it wont let me do that now for one reason or another.

Quick Reply: Dorman Truck Intake info/porting (with pics)