Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/catted Y-pipe options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts
Question Headers/catted Y-pipe options?

I'm looking for a set of headers and a catted Y-pipe for my stock LS1/Camaro. What's the general consensus on the TSP long tube headers? I really like the design/geometry of the SLP long tube headers, but they cost almost twice as much. Are there any noticeable advantages to either set of headers/catted Y-pipe? I'm mostly looking for the best overall value, and necessarily just the cheapest set.

I suppose anything would perform better than the stock manifolds, but I also want durability. Will the 304 Stainless TSP headers hold-up over time? I think SLP offers a ceramic coating, but I'm not sure what the material spec is.

My last question is about fitment. Are there any known fitment issues with either the TSP or SLP headers? I plan on keeping my car at factory ride height, so dragging shouldn't be an issue. I was more interested in how they fit on the motor and the amount of clearance around the spark plugs and the body.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

All I can say is I read a lot more positive reviews on TSP headers than I do on SLP
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TSP headers are very well made for the price. Plenty of satisfied customers. I'm sure the SLP name still holds some weight in some instances, but there are much better options out there these days. If you have a bigger budget...ARH really can't be beat. I've been extremely happy with them for years. If cash is a concern, TSP is a fantastic choice.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I've read, SLP headers hang low, so if your car is lowered, that could be a problem. Also be considered is whether you're intending to keep the air connections to the exhaust. If so, you'll need a set that has those connections.
My camaro is lowered on Strano springs, so for me, clearance is an issue. I'm planning to install a used set of coated pacecetter headers that have the pollution control connections. I've purchased high flow cats (that have rear O2 bungs) and will be installing that into a off-road Y (customization will need to be done to make this all fit).
Old 02-14-2018, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

My car is not lowered, but I still worry about clearance. With a catted Y-pipe, it's going to hang down more than the stock pipes. It will probably be ok, but speed bumps make me nervous. FYI, this is my daily driver.

I'm thinking about having the AGR and AIR deleted next week. I don't plan on using the aft O2 sensors anyway.

I was planning on using the SLP Cat-back exhaust. I have a co-worker that might give me the kit. I think it's the Loudmouth kit, but I would swap the resonator for the Loudmouth 2 muffler. The TSP Y-pipe should connect to the SLP cat-back, right?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Utinator
My car is not lowered, but I still worry about clearance. With a catted Y-pipe, it's going to hang down more than the stock pipes. It will probably be ok, but speed bumps make me nervous. FYI, this is my daily driver.

I'm thinking about having the AGR and AIR deleted next week. I don't plan on using the aft O2 sensors anyway.

I was planning on using the SLP Cat-back exhaust. I have a co-worker that might give me the kit. I think it's the Loudmouth kit, but I would swap the resonator for the Loudmouth 2 muffler. The TSP Y-pipe should connect to the SLP cat-back, right?
Yes it should connect just fine. Definitely get the LM2 over the LM1. The LM1 is far to raspy
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

That's the plan. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 800 Likes on 610 Posts

I'd suggest Dynatech since they have bolt together flanges. TSP would be my choice on a budget.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Launching!

I'll throw my .02 into this. I bought a used set of 1 7/8 kooks from a member on here and they were ridiculously easy to put in. TSP makes quality stuff as you can see from my signature, but I cannot sing Kooks praise enough on fitment. Read some threads on header fitment and you'll get it. To be fair I have not owned nor installed TSP headers. I have a SLP LM2 that was ru. For literally 300 miles if you're interested. I am looking to ge g rid of it for cheap. I don't have the space in my garage.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Before I bought my ARH set up, I was looking at available options. Was considering Dynatech, but heard of some issues with burning spark plug wires on LS engines. Have you ever heard of these issues?. Like everything , you take it with a grain of salt. However there were a fair share of complaints. Maybe an old issue?. They did look pretty nice for the price. Especially stainless and with the connecting flange.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Auto correct sucks. "Run for literally 300 miles if you're interested. I am looking to get rid of it for cheap. I don't have the space in my garage."
Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TSP is the bomb, also BBK headers go on easy almost to easy.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I ended up ordering the Kooks headers and catted Y-pipe. Apparently, there is a shortage of Y-pipes out there. The Kooks Y-pipe was the only one I could (hopefully) get this week. The rest are 4-6 weeks out.

Hey omaha stylee,
I have a co-worker that might have an SLP kit. If that doesn't work out, I'll let you know. Would you be able to ship it to VA?

Quick Reply: Headers/catted Y-pipe options?