Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure

I installed fast fuel rails with the gauge, and when I prime it itll go between 45-55 psi, and after a few hours slowly go down to 0. Is this normal?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If it takes a few hours for your fuel pressure to bleed down then your fuel system is holding pressure well.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, i was just wondering because my brother put the same rails and gauge on his 98 camaro and his pressure never drops below 20 ever, and mine goes to 0 after a half day or so
Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

That’s normal AF my man
Old 03-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you dont really want pressure in any line when you aren't using it. pressure can wear stuff out. Garden hose wont last long if you keep it fully pressurized all the time. check valves have to deal with that pressure in a fuel pump if they hold it.

Some pumps don't even have check valves. I think walbro 450 has no check, I was told recently because I was tuning my friend's car and I noted how fast it dropped, he said it was normal for the 450. I shrugged. It only really makes a differnce the instant you hit the key, if you do not wait to prime and go right to cranking. Most ECU have a tiny prime delay for key turning also to wait for pressure to build anyways, before trying to inject. In my computer I can change the time it takes. Good if you have huge lines and a big slow pump, like an A1000 on a -10 fuel system seems to take a full second compared to the .150 seconds a stock size pump takes like the stealth.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:49 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
you dont really want pressure in any line when you aren't using it. pressure can wear stuff out. Garden hose wont last long if you keep it fully pressurized all the time. check valves have to deal with that pressure in a fuel pump if they hold it.

Some pumps don't even have check valves. I think walbro 450 has no check, I was told recently because I was tuning my friend's car and I noted how fast it dropped, he said it was normal for the 450. I shrugged. It only really makes a differnce the instant you hit the key, if you do not wait to prime and go right to cranking. Most ECU have a tiny prime delay for key turning also to wait for pressure to build anyways, before trying to inject. In my computer I can change the time it takes. Good if you have huge lines and a big slow pump, like an A1000 on a -10 fuel system seems to take a full second compared to the .150 seconds a stock size pump takes like the stealth.
Mine goes to zero as soon as I turn it off. TI (previously Walbro) 450 pump. I figure there’s no check valve in the pump...
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

As long as you have 58-60psi while running, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Pumps with check valves, the pressure slowly bleeds back past the valve. Normal.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Banned

I run 38psi of fuel pressure base usually. Less pressure while running means longer fuel system component life span. That goes for all hydraulic systems; lowering pressure means less stress. Stress is a measurable, mathematical attribute that equals to pressure divided by area. (or force / area if you want)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I run 38psi of fuel pressure base usually. Less pressure while running means longer fuel system component life span. That goes for all hydraulic systems; lowering pressure means less stress. Stress is a measurable, mathematical attribute that equals to pressure divided by area. (or force / area if you want)
At it again, I see. F=PA, or P=F/A is simply the relationship of force to pressure in a hydraulic system. And it's not a measure of "stress" in that system, it relates to force generated by pressure.

And I guess we better get all those cars and trucks with 200k on their stock fuel components off the road before they start leaking fuel everywhere.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Talon, your BS factor just hit a new high.... Spartan7 has it right.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spartan7
At it again, I see. F=PA, or P=F/A is simply the relationship of force to pressure in a hydraulic system. And it's not a measure of "stress" in that system, it relates to force generated by pressure.

And I guess we better get all those cars and trucks with 200k on their stock fuel components off the road before they start leaking fuel everywhere.
Aeromotive tech said the pump would last longer with less pressure. So take it how you want, I just want max pump life and I want everyone else to know it is possible as well.

I quoted from the book of mechanical engineering a definition for stress, so also correct.
same equation for axial loading of a piston surface, stress.

gg

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure