Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" Primaries....3.5" collectors.......ARH vs Texas Speed........really a difference??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
If you examine the underside of the car carefully, you'll see it is made for a Y pipe. There are only a couple issues to deal with. One is right after the collectors there is a crossrail, thats a low spot. I recommend cutting it or beating it with a hammer where the pipe passes under it, and two the areas where the pipes get to the tunnel and turn. The fuel and brakes lines are low on the drivers side and the trans crossmember is the low point on the passenger side. I had my stock fuel and brakes lines raised up so i could tuck the pipe better. My 3.5" Y had as good or better clearance then stock. Careful routing and paying attention to detail makes all the difference.
Sweet....we'll put it up in the air and go to town on it.....I always figured a little banging for more space was possible......

Old 03-17-2018, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Thats not bad at all....much better than mine. Although my car is a lot lower. But my Y definitely hangs down more than yours.
As 01redssa4 and I said there is room and more room to massage if you wanted. I didn't massage anything and that's 3-1/2" pipe with 3-1/2" cherry bomb extremes mufflers. I wouldn't recommend running them as I think they have quite a bit of restriction looking at where the paint is burnt vs where it isn't. I don't want to change a lot of things at once sorting out my problems so the exhaust stays while I figure out trans and converter.

My honest opinion for you is to try and find a smalll off the beat repair inspection station around you that actually cares about there work. It might take some running around and checking out the garages before the one sticks out to you. But when you see it you'll know they're not out to screw you and won't charge you out the butt for what they do. There is still honest garages out there but not n extremely populated areas. Have a parts list similar to 01redssa4's and show them a pic of what you want. Don't be fooled by pretty welds because all you have to do is look at mine and 01redssa4's (not judging) to know that pretty welds don't equal a nice fittting exhaust. I'm a grinder not a welder, and I only have to grind what's visable as I drive around you. That's my motto.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tug686spd
As 01redssa4 and I said there is room and more room to massage if you wanted. I didn't massage anything and that's 3-1/2" pipe with 3-1/2" cherry bomb extremes mufflers. I wouldn't recommend running them as I think they have quite a bit of restriction looking at where the paint is burnt vs where it isn't. I don't want to change a lot of things at once sorting out my problems so the exhaust stays while I figure out trans and converter.

My honest opinion for you is to try and find a smalll off the beat repair inspection station around you that actually cares about there work. It might take some running around and checking out the garages before the one sticks out to you. But when you see it you'll know they're not out to screw you and won't charge you out the butt for what they do. There is still honest garages out there but not n extremely populated areas. Have a parts list similar to 01redssa4's and show them a pic of what you want. Don't be fooled by pretty welds because all you have to do is look at mine and 01redssa4's (not judging) to know that pretty welds don't equal a nice fittting exhaust. I'm a grinder not a welder, and I only have to grind what's visable as I drive around you. That's my motto.
I hear ya......I have a lot of room to tuck them better if I beat it up a little.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
That y pipe is 3.5" from the header all the way to the merge?
Yes thats 3.5 pipe and bends.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats what I figured. I was actually the last person to buy a set of 1 7/8" Grotyohan LT headers back in 2002.
Are you sure they are 1-7/8"? I only ask because I have Grot headers also(on them when I bought the car from the original owner). I always thought they were 7/8", he told me they were 7/8" but in a thread I made detailing my exhaust I was told by another member on here that Grot never made a 1-7/8" header...? Just curious.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grifter
Are you sure they are 1-7/8"? I only ask because I have Grot headers also(on them when I bought the car from the original owner). I always thought they were 7/8", he told me they were 7/8" but in a thread I made detailing my exhaust I was told by another member on here that Grot never made a 1-7/8" header...? Just curious.
For sure....my first stroker engine was a 436ci built by Agostino Racing Engines (ARE) in Toronto back in 2002. Roger Grotyohan made about 30 sets for ARE because they were building big *** stroker LS engines with 300-400 shots of spray. So the market needed 1 /78" LTs.....
When I bought my 436ci from them the price included a set of the 1 7/8" Grots. Well, when I received my engine the LTs were not in the shipment. It was right around the time ARE was closing their doors. Someone else took my Grots. So, having a 436ci I did not want to use the smaller 1 3/4". I tracked down the place that Roger used to make all of his headers and the people who had his new 1 7/8" jig.
ARE refunded me $1,200 because they did not send the headers.

Place was called "Tubular Automotive."
I called them and asked when they can make me a new set of 1 7/8" Grots. They filled me in that Roger owed several vendors $100's of thousands of dollars and has skipped out on paying people for about a year, knowing he was getting out of the industry. So I asked these guys if they could please make me a set. They agreed to make me a set and luckily only charged me $500.00 shipped.

So....you can still buy a brand new set of 1 7/8" Grots, because QTP (Quick Time Performance) bought that 1 7/8" Grot jig from Tubular Performance. So QTP headers are Roger Grot headers....at least the 1 7/8" are......

Who knows who else has use of that jig or where it is now.

Tubular Performance asked me if I wanted to buy it back than.....LOL......maybe I should have.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

For sure....my first stroker engine was a 436ci built by Agostino Racing Engines (ARE) in Toronto back in 2002. Roger Grotyohan made about 30 sets for ARE because they were building big *** stroker LS engines with 300-400 shots of spray. So the market needed 1 /78" LTs.....
When I bought my 436ci from them the price included a set of the 1 7/8" Grots. Well, when I received my engine the LTs were not in the shipment. It was right around the time ARE was closing their doors. Someone else took my Grots. So, having a 436ci I did not want to use the smaller 1 3/4". I tracked down the place that Roger used to make all of his headers and the people who had his new 1 7/8" jig.
ARE refunded me $1,200 because they did not send the headers.

Place was called "Tubular Automotive."
I called them and asked when they can make me a new set of 1 7/8" Grots. They filled me in that Roger owed several vendors $100's of thousands of dollars and has skipped out on paying people for about a year, knowing he was getting out of the industry. So I asked these guys if they could please make me a set. They agreed to make me a set and luckily only charged me $500.00 shipped.

So....you can still buy a brand new set of 1 7/8" Grots, because QTP (Quick Time Performance) bought that 1 7/8" Grot jig from Tubular Performance. So QTP headers are Roger Grot headers....at least the 1 7/8" are......

Who knows who else has use of that jig or where it is now.

Tubular Performance asked me if I wanted to buy it back than.....LOL......maybe I should have.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info!

I have never actually measured mine, I will some day. The more I look at them they do look like 3/4".
Old 03-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grifter
Very interesting! Thanks for the info!

I have never actually measured mine, I will some day. The more I look at them they do look like 3/4".
Just wrap a tape measure around a pipe.....you'll be able to figure out if its a 1 3/4 or a 1 7/8 by the outer diameter.....

Or a caliper tool to get the diameter of a pipe.....((I think thats what the tool is called))

Old 03-29-2018, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just wrap a tape measure around a pipe.....you'll be able to figure out if its a 1 3/4 or a 1 7/8 by the outer diameter.....

Or a caliper tool to get the diameter of a pipe.....((I think thats what the tool is called))

Yup, that's exactly what I was going to do.