Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Band clamps???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Band clamps???

Have crazy leaks coming from every clamped part of my QTP y -piipe. How do you guys make them work, i didnt even do it myself, meineke told me the clamps were sh*t and that there was no way to make them work...this was after they had to cut off the bend on the passenger side of the y pipe and reweld a peice b/c it wwas off by 30 degrees...so is the pipe just messed up bc/ it seems like all the spots where the y pipe goes into another pipe are too big hence why the clamps cant tighten down enough, and when they do, it crimps the actual pipe and creates another leak. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have them weld the pipe
Old 07-06-2004, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not the band clamps' fault per se,
it is poor fit of Y-to-I outer-to-inner diameter.
The clamp is supposed to just keep things from
slipping, not crush the pipe (at least, that way
you can take the thing apart again!). There
should be a slit section at the end of the I, just
enough compliance to let the band squeeze
down. On a well matched pipe pair it should be
just shy of impossible to get the Y into the I,
meaning there will be negligible leakage. If
she's a sloppy 'ho then, well, maybe you need
to wrap it.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
This is not the band clamps' fault per se,
it is poor fit of Y-to-I outer-to-inner diameter.
The clamp is supposed to just keep things from
slipping, not crush the pipe (at least, that way
you can take the thing apart again!). There
should be a slit section at the end of the I, just
enough compliance to let the band squeeze
down. On a well matched pipe pair it should be
just shy of impossible to get the Y into the I,
meaning there will be negligible leakage. If
she's a sloppy 'ho then, well, maybe you need
to wrap it.
Its worse than a "sloppy ho" i have leaks coming from where the y meets the headers too, i dont want to weld that. I will weld the rest of the pipe b/c i'm coming to the conclusion that ive recieved some kind of defectively made pipe dunno how its possible but i couldnt get it to work and neither could a certified exhaust shop. 30 degrees off isnt a minor mistake in making small adjustments in the direction of each peice of the pipe, i will weld all the joints except to the catback, and the headers...any ideas, will rtv sealent hold up to the heat? Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with that kind of heat the RTV will burn off or get hard. I dont think it would seal. I would weld up everything like you said and from there
Old 07-06-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Another QTP Y pipe fitment problem. Their headers are great, but why such a SHI*TY Y pipe?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might see if there are any decent flange
connectors available that could be welded to
the pipe stubs (better than the usual reducers
w/ 3-bolt rings?) as-fitted, this would at least
allow you to take down the exhaust for other
work, etc. Or, maybe get some proper-fitting
tubing welded up so the band style sleeve-fit
works as meant.

RTV in the exhaust might poison your O2s and
is generally not recommended.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, so all in all unless i weld i'm screwed....more money that i need to sink to correct QTP's mistake....i just dont get it. HAS ANYONE EVER RECIEVED A GOOD FITTING YPIPE FROM THIS PLACE?!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
meineke told me the clamps were sh*t .
I'd believe them, those guys are professionals when it comes to sh*t.

Seriously, give a Reese monkey an arc welder and a Meineke shirt and ask him what he thinks. You'll get a more coherent answer and probably higher quality work.

The clamps are indeed crappy, heard that many times - just thought I'd poke fun at the muffler shop.

Bad30th
Old 07-06-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
OK, so all in all unless i weld i'm screwed....more money that i need to sink to correct QTP's mistake....i just dont get it. HAS ANYONE EVER RECIEVED A GOOD FITTING YPIPE FROM THIS PLACE?!
I've done a lot of research and from what i've read, the horror stories of their Y pipe heavily outweigh the good. I ALMOST went with QTP, thank God I didn't. Good luck....
Old 07-06-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is sooo F*CKED UP, i'm speachless...i have no clue how to get this b/s squared away w/out puttin out more $$$....so much for "you get what you pay for" I feel like i just spent 200 bux on a catted ypipe
Old 07-06-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

I've had this problem many times with band clamps. The last time I changed my exhaust (pacesetters,ORY,GMMG) <--rasy as hell I bought some Thermo sheild from jegs. It's a high temp tape (about 2" wide) that I wrapped around the pipe connection twice then I put the band clamp over that and they havn't leaked yet. I have gone about 2000 miles since.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Everything I have put a band clamp on I expanded and test fitted myself.. It has to be a close tolerance slip joint... I'm guessing the QC problem has to do with the tolerances of the pipe joints.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I used the band clamp and a ton of RTV on the crossover pipe for my headers on my GTP and it held up well. Every now and again I have to tighten the clamp, but there are no carbon marks on the pipe around the ends of the band. A band is $12, tube of Copper Hi-Temp is $3....for $15 why not give it a shot?

Last edited by DUSTYWS6; 07-06-2004 at 07:09 PM. Reason: kant spell
Old 07-06-2004, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
I've had this problem many times with band clamps. The last time I changed my exhaust (pacesetters,ORY,GMMG) <--rasy as hell I bought some Thermo sheild from jegs. It's a high temp tape (about 2" wide) that I wrapped around the pipe connection twice then I put the band clamp over that and they havn't leaked yet. I have gone about 2000 miles since.
You are not alone...

I used torctite (http://www.torcausa.com/) on some connections, torctite + aluminum foil on others, and traditional muffler clamps as well to stop the leaks. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't want to weld the pipes you can wrap some header wrap around the connections and then put the clamps on, also for anyone else thinking of getting the QTP Y don't i had it and it fit like **** as well.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
If you don't want to weld the pipes you can wrap some header wrap around the connections and then put the clamps on, also for anyone else thinking of getting the QTP Y don't i had it and it fit like **** as well.
Yea i guess i can try this...lost my patience w/ QTP the minute i had to pay an extra 200 bux to get this 30 degree offset corrected, now this leak problem, Barry tried to help, but all i got out of that was that the guys at the muffler shop were bad at their jobs....fine maybe, but at the same time, i think its part the pipes problem b/c EVERYONE else i've talked to has had the same problems, and just either had the money to scrape the p.o.s y pipe from QTP and make a custom one, or had the money to pay a real perf. shop to make crazy mods to make the crap work right.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrap the pipes with aluminum duct tape, then use the wide (2-3inch) band clamps. That's how I got the Jet Hot y sealed.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine has fitment problems too. The piece that goes onto the passenger side header leaks like crazy. I tightened down the band clamp till it couldn't go any farther and it's still loose. I wrapped some exhaust stuff around it and then tightened the band clamp and it still leaks. I'm just going to give up on it and get the true dual setup.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i think i'm lookin into true duals next, need to find out about clearance issues and listen to some sound clips...as for the y-pipe...waste of 500 bux...plus 100 for a shop to cut and weld parts of it plus 100 to replace a bad cat that i'm not even getting my money back for. My advice to everyone...NEVER BUY Y-PIPES FROM QTP...as soon as you find out it needs to be modified and then state your opinion on the product qtp will never cut you slack again.