Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake bolts rubber seal cutting itself off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default intake bolts rubber seal cutting itself off?

Running a NNBS intake with stock truck intake bolts (off the older truck intake). I installed the stock truck intake bolts on this intake and the rubber seals are pinched and cut themselves off?! This doesnt seem normal... do the NNBS/TBSS intakes have a different bolt/seal? How do I fix this or what do I need to get? This is a 99 5.3 with a NNBS intake, motor is turbo charged so worried about leaks etc.

Pic of what a good bit of them look like.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Looks like that bolt is missing the tube thing that it tightens against; or, that it's been over-torqued SO BAD at some point in its life, that the tube thing is crushed.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Looks like that bolt is missing the tube thing that it tightens against; or, that it's been over-torqued SO BAD at some point in its life, that the tube thing is crushed.
Neither of those. I literally pulled the stock intake which I had installed to 89inlbs and replaced it with this and re torqued. All the tubes are intact and non crushed. I have a feeling that the NNBS intake uses a slightly different bolt which I have no idea what it is. AS soon as I tqd it down it bulged out and has begun to tear as you see in the pic on a few. The issue is these bolts are super expensive to get new and gasket kits don't come with the new seals. Also the gasket on this is an OEM style so the thickness should be fine.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I decided to pull the intake today just to verify the gaskets are good. Everything looked fine. The NBS intake bolts do NOT work with the NNBS style intakes. Every gasket/bushing pinched and cut itself off. I cut the remainder off and went to install the bolts and no good. The bolts get to finger tight and then I get 1/2 a turn before they are snugged down. That means the gasket isn’t compressed and no seal.

Can someone please measure the under head length of the NNBS bolt so I can compare? I want to use the stock bolts bc of the crush sleeve but I will have to cut the sleeve off for it to get enough clamping on the gasket but then the sleeve is useless once I cut it. Not to mention it takes a few min just to cut the sleeve x10 it would be better to just buy new ICT bolts for $16 or so since they don’t have sleeves.

Heres my measurement

Pic I grabbed off google of the NBS bolt (left) and NNBS bolt (right). It’s hard to tell but the bolt on the right the sleeve looks slightly shorter.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

The shank length of the bolts up to the end of the thread look about identical, but one has more pilot shank to help start it.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
The shank length of the bolts up to the end of the thread look about identical, but one has more pilot shank to help start it.
i feel like there is 1/16-3/32” difference in bolt sleeve length. Installing NNBS intake with stock green plastic gaskets on stock 862 heads and the bolt doesn’t squeeze the gasket At all. Somethings not right and the only thing stopping the bolt is the sleeve.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered the ICT Billet truck Intake bolts and slapped them on. Ended up not liking the 3/4” washer compared to the 1” they should be. Pulled them and went through the process of cutting all the bottoms off the sleeves on the stock truck I take bolts. I slapped the modded stock bolts and tq them down. Won’t know any difference till I coat the turbo system and slap it all back together to start it up.