Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my catch can plumbed correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is my catch can plumbed correctly?

Hi guys,
I am having trouble with the idle of my new engine build, and I am starting to wonder if I plumbed the catch can wrong and have affected my metered air in such a way as to make my idle bad.
Engine is hard to cold start then when it does fire up it revs high for a few seconds before it slowly comes down. If I rev the engine in open loop it will rev then stall.

Please see the picture below.
I have one line coming from the passengers side valve cover through a PCV valve to the inlet of the catch can.
Then out of the catch can and into the intake manifold after the TB.
One stand alone hose from the TB to the drivers side valve cover.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Read the sticky????
Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Read the sticky????
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^ Titled, "My Catch Can Routing OK?"
Old 05-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^ Titled, "My Catch Can Routing OK?"
Did that, just looking for confirmation my plumbing is OK? There are a lot of different ways to skin this cat. Main thing I am trying to confirm is that one PCV valve in the passengers valve cover is the only check valve I need in the system.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Once you understand the PCV you will know all the things you can do. There are many threads, 100s of posts long, discussing PCV. Maybe read up on theory first before just asking "is it ok". Not trying to be mean.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Once you understand the PCV you will know all the things you can do. There are many threads, 100s of posts long, discussing PCV. Maybe read up on theory first before just asking "is it ok". Not trying to be mean.
Thanks Chris, I think I am pretty clear on the way the PCV system is supposed to work. I read many of the catch can threads months ago when I originaly plumbed the can. I am really just second guessing my original plumbing as I am having some trouble with the engine stalling after opening the throttle. After some other discussion I believe this is more in the tune than anything else.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the idea for people to do research on their own. What I dont understand is why cant anyone just answer a question without being kind of a dick about it. There seems to be any number of people just waiting to respond with the old "use the search" or "read the sticky" If someone doesnt understand what they are looking at why not just answer the question?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by floorguy
I get the idea for people to do research on their own. What I dont understand is why cant anyone just answer a question without being kind of a dick about it. There seems to be any number of people just waiting to respond with the old "use the search" or "read the sticky" If someone doesnt understand what they are looking at why not just answer the question?
I am a member of half a dozen car forums and they are all much the same. I find it funny when its easier to answer the initial question than it is to say read the sticky. But its all good, my fuel trim are pretty much spot on which tells me the catch can plumbing is not causing any sort of intake leak, or my stalling when revved issue. 99.9% sure its in the tune.