Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate ALL OUT bolt-ons??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I appreciate someone actually sticking to real Boltons instead of whatever definition fits what's in their head. You'll want to run a FAST or MSD intake with the biggest TB and speed density if you're not already. People have made more power on Ethanol than pump gas but it's been on heavily modified vehicles revving quite high. Thinner oil will reduce friction losses too. Vacuum pumps on the crankcase are worth some power as well.
The following users liked this post:
Magnet (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Add a crank scraper unless you don’t consider it a bolt on since you have to drop the oil pan.

This is a serious suggestion - nitromethane. The ultimate oxygenated fuel. You need a massive fuel system but it would make a ton of power.
DualQuadDave (12-10-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Add a crank scraper unless you don’t consider it a bolt on since you have to drop the oil pan.

This is a serious suggestion - nitromethane. The ultimate oxygenated fuel. You need a massive fuel system but it would make a ton of power.
failrily certain nitro would be considered cheating, the crank scraper I would have to wrap my head around and see, but would probably lean towards not allowed as well. Thanks for the input though I hadn’t thought of that before.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
All depends on who you ask. People on here for decades have claimed they had bolt ons when they added roller rockers, crank scraper, etc. Everyone definition is different.
Cylinder heads are "bolt ons" too.
ddnspider (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

What about valvesprings? They almost could be considered a maintenance item. If you put better springs and lighter retainers, you might could get a couple hundred more rpm.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
What about valvesprings? They almost could be considered a maintenance item. If you put better springs and lighter retainers, you might could get a couple hundred more rpm.
People have swapped in LS6 springs and cam because it came from the factory that way on a Z06 LS1. All part of the murky grey area lol.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

People have swapped in LS6 springs and cam because it came from the factory that way on a Z06 LS1. All part of the murky grey area lol.
Not murky IMO, prohibited. It’s an upgrade from factory internal parts. I remember a car that was an early ls1 and swapped to 241 (later ls1 heads) and was disqualified. The early ls1s have a bigger cam and the later have better heads but average about the same.

Point being, any internal things like this is cheating.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnet
Not murky IMO, prohibited. It’s an upgrade from factory internal parts. I remember a car that was an early ls1 and swapped to 241 (later ls1 heads) and was disqualified. The early ls1s have a bigger cam and the later have better heads but average about the same.

Point being, any internal things like this is cheating.
all depends who you ask. It's been debated on here ad nauseum over the years. Everyone wanted a participation trophy to claim they were still a bolton.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

all depends who you ask. It's been debated on here ad nauseum over the years. Everyone wanted a participation trophy to claim they were still a bolton.
Anyone who actually participated in the “stock internal” era knows what’s up. Folks have made
up their own nonsense since then aka “you can bolt on a blower/nitrous etc etc” but defeats the purpose.

Theres little to no actual debate. It can’t be opened up and it has to be n/a. Anything else is folks trying to get there stuff included when it shouldn’t be bc they are too slow to compete normally. #endrant 😂
Old 10-31-2023, 12:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

I saw electric water pump and underdrive crank pulley mentioned, but you could further reduce accessory load by deleting the power steering. I don't think I saw that mentioned yet. This would still qualify for 'stock internal/bolt-on' even by the strictest of definitions IMO, and will have the added benefit of reducing weight (assuming you eliminate the system rather than just omit it from the belt path).

Old 10-31-2023, 05:28 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone who actually participated in the “stock internal” era knows what’s up. Folks have made
up their own nonsense since then aka “you can bolt on a blower/nitrous etc etc” but defeats the purpose.

Theres little to no actual debate. It can’t be opened up and it has to be n/a. Anything else is folks trying to get there stuff included when it shouldn’t be bc they are too slow to compete normally. #endrant 😂
I wish you were around a decade ago LOLOL.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I saw electric water pump and underdrive crank pulley mentioned, but you could further reduce accessory load by deleting the power steering. I don't think I saw that mentioned yet. This would still qualify for 'stock internal/bolt-on' even by the strictest of definitions IMO, and will have the added benefit of reducing weight (assuming you eliminate the system rather than just omit it from the belt path).
Thank for the input. I plan to run a short belt and alter the path like you said. At this point not wanting to delete the power steering altogether
Old 10-31-2023, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

I wish you were around a decade ago LOLOL.

I’ve been here since 04, but did disappear from 2011-15 or something like that lol
Old 11-03-2023, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

1.8 RR and valve springs
Old 11-03-2023, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
1.8 RR and valve springs
He can't
The following 2 users liked this post by Bspeck82:
G Atsma (11-03-2023), Magnet (11-04-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

Thank for the input. I plan to run a short belt and alter the path like you said. At this point not wanting to delete the power steering altogether
You don't have to delete it entirely. You could go with an electric unit.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

that is a complete waste of time. I deleted my power steering, removed the heaving steering gear box (third gen) and put a tubular K member on the car only to lose 1/10 of a second in the 1/4. Total waste of time, money and effort. Plus I ruined the car because it drove like **** with manual steering. I stopped driving it because of that. Power steering takes maybe 1hp of parasitic drag because you aren’t turning in the drag strip.
Y2K_Frenzy (01-18-2024)
Old 11-09-2023, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you have a true ram air setup that forces cool air in the engine? In the tune, make sure you zero out IAT timing correction up to about 150f so it’s not pulling timing too low. You could play with EOIT in the tune also. (End of injection timing). Sometimes there’s a little power to be found there too but I’m not sure if it’ll help with a stock cam. You need the highest stall (that you can tolerate) with a high multiplication factor. Thinner oil. Thinner diff fluid. Lower the car a little if it’s not lowered. Less drag. Battery in the trunk if it’s not there yet. Lighter rotors if you can afford it. Make sure the pads do not drag.
Magnet (11-10-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
that is a complete waste of time. I deleted my power steering, removed the heaving steering gear box (third gen) and put a tubular K member on the car only to lose 1/10 of a second in the 1/4. Total waste of time, money and effort. Plus I ruined the car because it drove like **** with manual steering. I stopped driving it because of that. Power steering takes maybe 1hp of parasitic drag because you aren’t turning in the drag strip.
There is only so much you can do to stay within the prescribed "rules". Many things are a waste of time on their own; put together, it might be worth just enough to put you/keep you at #1. Sounds like that's what the OP is aiming for, hence nothing is a waste of time if it adds to the bottom line, even just a little, when the rules are tight. The weight savings alone is worth something in this case. Remember, don't just look for ONE place to lose 100 pounds, look for 100 places to lose 1 pound.
Magnet (11-10-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

There is only so much you can do to stay within the prescribed "rules". Many things are a waste of time on their own; put together, it might be worth just enough to put you/keep you at #1. Sounds like that's what the OP is aiming for, hence nothing is a waste of time if it adds to the bottom line, even just a little, when the rules are tight. The weight savings alone is worth something in this case. Remember, don't just look for ONE place to lose 100 pounds, look for 100 places to lose 1 pound.
true true. But I think back and ask myself if I’d rather run 11.56 and still like/enjoy the car or would I rather run 11.47 and ruin/hate driving the car. I think I’d rather have found that .90 somewhere else. And keep in mind, I deleted pump, gear box and did a K member. Simply removing the pump on a 4th gen will probably make no difference because the steering doesn’t rob power when you aren’t turning. Has anyone done a back to back of running with the steering pump connected and then bypassed? That’d be interesting.

Quick Reply: Ultimate ALL OUT bolt-ons??