Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering leaking at return port on reservoir, what do I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Power steering leaking at return port on reservoir, what do I replace?

This is Turn One power steering unit with Huron Speed lines. The return line at the reservoir is bulk auto parts store hose with a screw clamp. You can see how fluid is running down the hose onto the bracket and subsequently onto my alternator. Is there a hose/clamp combo better suited for this?

Old 04-10-2024, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Is the hose the correct size? I seem to recall that 3/8" was the original size, but are you still using the stock reservoir with the Turn One pump?

I think a constant tension style clamp was used originally. You could also try a fuel injection style clamp. I would cut a new piece of hose though, or snip the current end off (if there is enough slack) prior to trying a new clamp style (assuming it's been on there for a bit - a fresh tip will probably seal better).
Old 04-10-2024, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 217 Likes on 193 Posts

Also look at the nipple the hose gets attached to. Make sure there is not any "flashing" where the injection molding seams come together. Sometimes there is an offset so it's not even round. Sometimes the "flashing" at the seam just needs to be trimmed or sanded off. see this
Old 04-17-2024, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was fluid film on top of the reservoir also indicating the cap was leaking. I took the cap off and found the pink seal looked like it had melted. I went to Napa and bought a replacement and took a picture of the two side by side. I had already cleaned up the old seal when I realized I should take a picture. How does this happen?

Old 04-17-2024, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
There was fluid film on top of the reservoir also indicating the cap was leaking. I took the cap off and found the pink seal looked like it had melted. I went to Napa and bought a replacement and took a picture of the two side by side. I had already cleaned up the old seal when I realized I should take a picture. How does this happen?

power steering fluid causes rubber to swell, depending on the rubber compound used. You would think that the rubber used on the cap would be designed to withstand exposure to power steering fluid but that’s not always the case, especially if it’s an aftermarket reservoir cap, wrong fluid used at one point, etc
Old 04-18-2024, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

the only PS caps available now are DORMAN......NLA from GM....you can see the quality of the dorman caps....my dorman cap the rubber washer disintegrated and put rubber pieces in the fluid
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed Turn One about this also and they said at some point (not sure when exactly) Dorman started using rubber that is incompatible with power steering fluid. Is there a rubber I can find at a hardware store or online that won't swell with power steering fluid? I figure whatever shape it's sold in I can always cut it to fit the cap.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I emailed Turn One about this also and they said at some point (not sure when exactly) Dorman started using rubber that is incompatible with power steering fluid. Is there a rubber I can find at a hardware store or online that won't swell with power steering fluid? I figure whatever shape it's sold in I can always cut it to fit the cap.
use a seal made with polyacrylate (acm), it’s safe for use with power steering fluid. You can find assortments of seals online that would fit under that cap and could always cut one down slightly to work
Old 04-18-2024, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Wonderful...Dorman is selling power steering caps using a rubber seal that is incompatible with power steering fluid.

What about getting an OEM cap from a different model (or even make) and just swapping the seal? Or have so many cars gone to E-power steering that none of the OEMs are still selling good caps?
Old 04-18-2024, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Wonderful...Dorman is selling power steering caps using a rubber seal that is incompatible with power steering fluid.

What about getting an OEM cap from a different model (or even make) and just swapping the seal? Or have so many cars gone to E-power steering that none of the OEMs are still selling good caps?
Jeff from Turn One said to replace the seal without scraping and ripping it, you would have to remove the spring first. Not sure what's involved with that but he made it sound like a PITA. He also said my issue is uncommon. Some seals seem to be holding up while others like mine are swelling and warping. He suspects it might be certain batches where Dorman ran out of the proper rubber and threw something in that was "good enough" until they were stocked with the proper rubber again. He said they're currently testing multiple seals from some random caps they grabbed and just letting them sit in power steering fluid. They're up to 9 months at this point and they still look normal. Seriously dumb move by Dorman.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

90% of stuff made by Dorman is junk.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Power steering fluis gets very hot!! I measured resovoir to be 200 degrees. I installed "Nick's F-body remote PS setup".

Very happy.

Gm original top mounted reservoir always sweated fluid.

Quick Reply: Power steering leaking at return port on reservoir, what do I replace?