Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 van intake shaving and pcv questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lq4 van intake shaving and pcv questions.

Putting a 2004 lq4 from a savana into my c3 vet, the intake manifold currently does not fit as I can't close the hood.

So I decided to shave this one down for now until I'm ready to buy(I'll be able to close the hood but will have less room then I'm comfortable with due to engine movement)

My question is this - these don't have real pcv systems. It's one hose off the rear valve cover to the top of the i take, and one hose off the front of the other valve cover to the front of the intake on the side.

Can I fully delete the port on the top of the intake by doing the following.
Run the rear hose to a oil catch can, then run the outlet of the catch can and T it into the hose going to the front side of the intke?

Otherwise I'm going to have to move the port to the rear of the intake manifold and I don't really want to lol.
I will have to move the one sensor.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

these don't have real pcv systems.
Not correct. They are as real as any other. They have:

​​​​​​​one hose off the rear valve cover to the top of the i take, and one hose off the front of the other valve cover to the front of the intake on the side
The PCV valve is in the driver's side VC and hooks to full manifold vacuum at the other end; the pass side VC connection is the makeup air (clean filtered air from after the MAF but before the throttles, since PCV creates a more or less continuous flow of air through the engine), and is delivered via a passage through the TB that connects to that hose nipple on the TB flange of the intake.

​​​​​​​Can I ...
So, no. What you are proposing won't work. For a catch can to catch anything, it needs to be in the line between the PCV valve and the manifold, so that air coming out of the crankcase can pass through it. You can plug up the hole the PCV valve line goes to now and move it elsewhere on the plenum though; for example, on the very front driver's side, right next to the TB flange. Pretty sure it can't go on the rear because that's a big "blow-off" valve kind of a thing that has to be free to move in case of a backfire in the intake.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Mine stock was setup this way -
Drivers side hose is on rear of valve cover, went to the port on the top of the intake manifold.
Passenger side it's at the front of the valve cover it goes to a nipples directly after the throttle body, the throttle body has its own channel in it for this. But the hose is definitely after.

So I want to move the port on the top. All the videos/guides on here I've seen of people shaving down and moving it somewhere else is on the back, they drill it out and plastic weld the fitting in. Same with the maf sensor. It's also on the back on all the mods I've seen.

Not saying these are done correctly.

Based on the port going through the throttle I'm going to assume that the front nipples has no vacuum.
So I have to move that top port.

Here's one of the many write Ups.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...sy-how-529930/

Since this is temporary to get it running I may just drill in and install a threaded bung directly into the side.

Going to have to add a vacuum fitting anyways since I need it for the brakes, the van was hydro.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the intake YOU have, put it on the front. There's a nice flat place just to the driver's side of the TB. A 90° elbow would fit PERFECT right there.

Can't go in the rear of YOUR intake. Youtube or no. Other intakes, maybe; YOURS, NO.

the port going through the throttle I'm going to assume that the front nipples has no vacuum.
This is correct. That passage starts in the front of the TB, ahead of the blades; goes through the TB; through the front part of the intake; then comes out the side. It's filtered air for PCV "makeup", behind the MAF so it gets metered, but ahead of the throttles so it's not vacuum. The one you're wanting to move is the one that has vacuum on it. Needs to go to the most sanitary available place that has manifold vacuum, but doesn't upset the engine, the way drilling into ONE runner would do.

Hydroboost is AWESOME. I strongly encourage you to use that instead of the old vacuum operated booster if you can figure out a way. Shouldn't be too hard; the truck HB system is not at all picky about how it's installed into a chassis. You might well find you like it SO MUCH, that even when you get some intake that supports a vacuum booster, you won't want to go back to that crap.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
With the intake YOU have, put it on the front. There's a nice flat place just to the driver's side of the TB. A 90° elbow would fit PERFECT right there.

Can't go in the rear of YOUR intake. Youtube or no. Other intakes, maybe; YOURS, NO.

This is correct. That passage starts in the front of the TB, ahead of the blades; goes through the TB; through the front part of the intake; then comes out the side. It's filtered air for PCV "makeup", behind the MAF so it gets metered, but ahead of the throttles so it's not vacuum. The one you're wanting to move is the one that has vacuum on it. Needs to go to the most sanitary available place that has manifold vacuum, but doesn't upset the engine, the way drilling into ONE runner would do.

Hydroboost is AWESOME. I strongly encourage you to use that instead of the old vacuum operated booster if you can figure out a way. Shouldn't be too hard; the truck HB system is not at all picky about how it's installed into a chassis. You might well find you like it SO MUCH, that even when you get some intake that supports a vacuum booster, you won't want to go back to that crap.
​​​​​​
Not alot of room on a 76 vette. I work on a fleet of ambulances that all run 6.0l with hydro so if I could make it work without massive modding I would consider it. I also feel like it would apply too much boost for the weight of the car haha.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not alot of room on a 76 vette.
Yeah, I've been dealing with that body style since about ... 1968. Yeah I know. I also know that they jammed that giant vacuum thing in there EVEN WITH a 396, 427, or 454. Since a HB is considerably SMALLER than the vacuum booster, it should fit BETTER.

​​​​​​​I also feel like
​​​​​​​Doesn't make it so.

Quick Reply: Lq4 van intake shaving and pcv questions.