Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Y Collector

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Y Collector

How much will this help the rasp on my jet hot o/r y pipe?? I plan on cutting my rear cat back off and dumping the exhaust after the muffler. I want to put a Hooker muffler after the collector and dump the exhaust after that, whatcha think?
Old 07-31-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Flowmaster Collector eliminated the rasp I was experiencing. Might take a good exhaust man to fit that collector into the JH Y-Pipe.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blacker
The Flowmaster Collector eliminated the rasp I was experiencing. Might take a good exhaust man to fit that collector into the JH Y-Pipe.
Was this before or after the catted y-pipe in your sig? I was thinking of getting y-pipe collecter myself but I wanted to do some research to see if it really got rid of the rasp of my macs and ory.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
dug
Banned

I did the flowmaster mod to the mac ypipe. It still rasps but it might be from the ball flange collecters at the headers. Adding the flowmaster collector might not be worth the hassle. Ive never found any documented dyno gains from the mod.

Here is a link of an exhaust with hooker lts, ory pipe, and 3" magnaflow muffler dumped under the car. It sounds pretty good actually. Magnaflow makes the 3" muffler with 4"x9" case. They make them with several lengths. Ground clearance might not be too bad. You can get the muffler for under $100 which is much cheaper than any catback.

http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...ts_burnout.ram
Old 11-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

How much fabrication has to be done to a Mac ORY when putting the flowmaster y collector on?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:01 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by Parks02WS6
How much fabrication has to be done to a Mac ORY when putting the flowmaster y collector on?
It was pretty simple for the mac ypipe. Basically just cut off the old y and weldin in the flowmaster y. Other ypipes might be more complicated.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

From lookin at it, the driver's side of the y-pipe looks like it would go in at a slight angle...and if it does, f it.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a j-bend with the Flowmaster collector....I'm gonna use it to graft into the MAC y-pipe. The sole purpose for doing this is to eliminate the rasp...I hope it works...if it doesn't, I'll try something else.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see how its gonna help. I think the rasp is inherent with a 2 into 1 design
Old 11-09-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I bought a j-bend with the Flowmaster collector....I'm gonna use it to graft into the MAC y-pipe. The sole purpose for doing this is to eliminate the rasp...I hope it works...if it doesn't, I'll try something else.
I've got the same thing planned once I find an exhaust shop that will work with me. I plan on turning my Hooker ORY-pipe into a clone of the QTP y-pipe.

I have the 2 cutous, mandrel 3" bends, flowmaster y-collector and 4" to 3" reducer. I also have a Hooker catback ordered to help kill the rasp.

If that setup fails I'll weld the Borla XR1 muffler that I currently have back in the I-pipe.
If that doesn't work I give up
Old 11-10-2004, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

That is a bad-add y-pipe.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I dont see how its gonna help. I think the rasp is inherent with a 2 into 1 design

No one knows why the off-road y-pipes rasp, but we all try to fix it. It's hard to fix a problem when you don't know the cause. So far, some people have only been able to "silence" the rasp.

Why doesn't an x-pipe rasp? It is effectively a 2 into 1 collector, it just splits again immediately after the junction.

I personally think it has to do with the unequal length of the arms going into the y-pipe junction and the unequal length of the header primaries...but I can't back that up.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastls1
If that setup fails I'll weld the Borla XR1 muffler that I currently have back in the I-pipe.
get true duals if that doesn't work haha..
Old 11-11-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
I've got the same thing planned once I find an exhaust shop that will work with me. I plan on turning my Hooker ORY-pipe into a clone of the QTP y-pipe.

I have the 2 cutous, mandrel 3" bends, flowmaster y-collector and 4" to 3" reducer. I also have a Hooker catback ordered to help kill the rasp.

Now THAT Y Pipe is d'bomb!!!!!!!