Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wanted to see a Pi-thon FireLock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 06:52 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Ever wanted to see a Pi-thon FireLock?

If you've been searching around for different types of exhaust clamps, I'm sure you've come across one of these at some point. This is what a Pi-thon FireLock looks like up close (this is the 3" one, designed for a butted connection):

Here are all the pieces:

One side connected:

Here's what the compression ring looks like before you tighten it down:

Here's the connection after you get done cranking on it with the spanner wrenches (this is butting together the non-flared ends of a 2-bolt ball flange):

Here's a look at how close the pipes are connected (there's less than 1/16" distance between the two one all tightened down):

Here's a close-up of the final connection:

And here's what it looks like next to a two-bolt ball flange:

Here's the disclaimer...they are pricey (~$90 a piece), but when it comes to butting together an exhaust pipe, they are a very secure, strong connection, but it disassembles very, very quickly and easily, allowing you to drop whatever section you want.

I'm getting tired of my band-clamps leaking, so when I go to do my new exhaust (over the axle true duals), I'll be using these exhaust pieces. Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve
Old 08-15-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's to nice to go under the car. I think you outta keep them on the table next to the chess board. That is pretty cool, I've never seen those before. Were they originally designed for exhaust tubing or some other application?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by HavATampa
That's to nice to go under the car. I think you outta keep them on the table next to the chess board. That is pretty cool, I've never seen those before. Were they originally designed for exhaust tubing or some other application?
Pi-thon actually makes similar clamps for intake tubing (for turbos especially) and other such things...they tend to cater more towards the import aftermarket from what I can tell. I guess they realized they had a good design, and decided to make some from stainless for use with exhaust tubing. They are a very well-made piece...so to answer your question, yes, that particular clamp you see there was designed specifically for use with exhaust systems.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool setup!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can you get these?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang $90 a piece?? Whoa..
Old 08-16-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Just like the old saying goes you get what you pay for I guess. I guess those would be used in an extreme situation where you can't have any exhaust leaks at all. Can't think of anything right now but I'm sure they are out there.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by kossuth
Just like the old saying goes you get what you pay for I guess. I guess those would be used in an extreme situation where you can't have any exhaust leaks at all. Can't think of anything right now but I'm sure they are out there.
Orrrrrrrr, if you are just tired of listening to the exhaust leaks attributed to my band clamps Plus, they go together and come apart so easily that it makes it very easy to drop your exhaust...I have plans for swappable cats should the local police give me some grief, and these will make it very easy to do that, especially when all you have to do is take a sawzall to the section you want to modify, and can seal it right back up with one of these clamps.

You have to get them from Pi-thon themselves...a search on Yahoo will bring up their website.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah man, I like it. Worst case sinario, you've got something cool to talk about next time somebody see's the underside of your ride. Very clean (and usefull) looking.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Yeah man, I like it. Worst case sinario, you've got something cool to talk about next time somebody see's the underside of your ride. Very clean (and usefull) looking.
Well, my wallet will weigh less too...that alone should get me .1-.2 faster ETs in the quarter
Old 08-16-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking, very functional looking, and VERY compact. Just wish they were cheaper. Like even $50 a piece.

Dope
Old 08-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Dope
Very nice looking, very functional looking, and VERY compact. Just wish they were cheaper. Like even $50 a piece.

Dope
I know...they are very well-made though, and like you said, compact. $50 will get you a single two-bolt ball flange (stainless), and that would have to be welded in to your existing exhaust setup (more $$$). With these, all you have to do is have a butted connection, and they slide right on, and screw right in.

Quick Reply: Ever wanted to see a Pi-thon FireLock?