Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth Cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loudmouth Cons

New to the board and i was wondering were the any cons for having a Loudmouth w/o the cats or when a cam was added. I've heard them on mildly modified car and was a little curious on the drawbacks.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

general consensus is after you get lt's and ory it sounds like ****, even worse with a cam.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:12 AM
Old Drag Racer

I love it on my mostly stock SS A4. I'm getting ready to install some stage 2 6 liter heads from Absolute Speed along with a T-Rex cam and Kook's 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" headers. I've been told that this combo will be deafening with an unbelievable drone at certain speeds but I'll hopefully be able to confirm this first hand pretty soon. True duals are in the works later but I just want to see how bad the Loudmouth is with a modded engine for myself.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

I'd say about 95% of people on this board would agree that the loudmouth sounds great on a stock car/manifolds, but once you get LT's and an ORY the sweet tone gose down the drain. It gets very loud but becomes VERY raspy and unrefined. Id say if you plan on LT's down the road I'd get a nice catback like Hooker(which I have and love) or Magnaflow. Search this site and go to ls1sounds.com to find out more on exhaust choices. Oh, and welcome to the board!

Nick
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my friend has headers, cam, catted y, and a LM..

and his car sounds unbelievable.. it sounds like what a v8 should sound like.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by amit
my friend has headers, cam, catted y, and a LM..

and his car sounds unbelievable.. it sounds like what a v8 should sound like.
LM is a nice sounds. You just need the right muffler.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Launching!

LM w/out cats and a cam sounds mean as hell at WOT and at idle, BUT it sounds like **** (IMO) at the rpm range of ~2200 - ~2600. This doesnt bother me much since I usually shift at 2000 rpms during daily driving.

I must say that I really like my system though, even though sometimes it is a little loud for me. One of the only drawbacks it has that when on cruise @ 75 on the highway there is a definite drone, yet last time I was on the highway i didnt really notice it as much.

KEY POINTS:
1) Very loud
2) Very Raspy (2100/2200 to around 2500/2600)
3) Very mean sounding at idle and WOT

If you havent purchased a LM yet, I would suggest checking out a TD system. TSP has a good setup for i think between $400-500. There should be no rasp and it will be pretty loud and mean sounding as well. The only drawback is that you have to either 1) drill a hole in your car or 2) have some clamps welded to your car

TSP also has a rumbler setup which is just like the LM but it has a dynomax muffler in the place of the resonator, it is also a little cheaper (i think under $300)

hope this helps

Last edited by Lucian; 08-31-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

I plan on keeping mine after I get LT's but will probably replace the resonator with a dynomax bullet-style or Borla race muffler. I'm not really going for refinement- I love the loudness of my loudmouth.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I plan on keeping mine after I get LT's but will probably replace the resonator with a dynomax bullet-style or Borla race muffler. I'm not really going for refinement- I love the loudness of my loudmouth.
My thoughts exactly. When I go the LT route I'm just going to splice in a Dynomax. I've heard this setup in person, and I was quite impressed. I see it like this-I already HAVE the LM, so spending 400.00 or more on a new catback would be stupid. And the LM is stainless, so it will last a good long while. Good luck on what ever you choose, LS1s' sound mean under most circumstances regardless of what exhaust you have.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I just installed a LT's and ORY on my loudmouth...The car is LOUD and raspy as everyone else puts it. If you but a borla XR1 on in place of the resonator it will take out every bit of the rasp which i like also so think about that...
Old 08-31-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Z06killer....With the Bullet, was there still rasp with LT's ORY and the Bullet/loudmouth?? Also how loud is it still??
Old 08-31-2004, 10:11 PM
Launching!

All the answers I was looking for! Right now I want the growl , so the headers might be summertime or so. Im thinking of an ORY around Oct. so with the Loudmouth on the way I was wondering what to expect and also, if I should have gotten the Magna Flow instead.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

It all depends with what u want...If i were to do it all at once again, I would go with Borla or Corsa hands down...
Old 08-31-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LM w/ lt's, cam, and ory sounds like poop! at least around 2100 -2600 rpms, as stated above. definitely not your refined, sexy, rumbling sound either. at idle its alright. a little too sloppy sounding for me. WOT its like a ****** banshee though. people stare like no other. good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Stock for stock, one of the best cat-backs. But like most have said, once the modding starts, it can get a little out of control. If unrefined, raw, raspy noise is what you want, go with LTs/ORY/LM. If you want a somewhat better sound, splice in a dynomax or a borla muffler. Check LS1Sounds, the Borlamouth with a mild cam sounds ok, but IMO, a little too sloppy. There are many other catbacks that sound a lot better with LT's, IMO. Its subjective, get what you like
Old 09-01-2004, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your planning on running a bullet muffler in your I pipe then you might consider the Rumbler catback. It features a 18" bullet muffler in the I pipe to help decrease some of the rasp without giving up flow We stock both systems so if I can help you feel free to im or call

http://www.texas-speed.com/images/rumbler1.jpg

http://www.texas-speed.com/images/rumbler2.jpg
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-01-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

For me LM - even with cats - with LT's and cam just sounded too raspy even at WOT. After a while it really started to remind me of the dreaded cherry bomb sound. I didn't notice it so much until I heard it from outside the car. Finally went to duals this year and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Its still aggressive (actually moreso now), but smoother and IMO more "correct" sounding.

Exhaust sound is so subjective, though. Either way the LM is a good catback - especially for a close-to-stock setup - because its cheap, stainless, lightweight, and it gives you the versatility to add a bullet down the road if you want.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've go LT and ORY with Loudmouth and it sounds mean as hell at WOT. i love it.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont care for the sound of it unless its at wide open. Its really loud with LT, ORY, and a cam. You WILL have everyones attention, even the cops.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stang killer
You WILL have everyones attention, even the cops.
no doubt about that. i'm goin with true duals as soon as i can find a ******* JOB. this economy blows.