Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Removal??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley Removal??

Didnt want to highjack the other thread with my question, but i have a question about what puller to use..

I know some say you can use the auto sone puller, but last week i was going to help my budy with his and ill be damned if that puller would work..we took it back and got the shorter one, and it was just Too short.
I dont know if i can explain it correctly, but on the long puller, the "hook" part was too short or the valley in the arm just before the hook (see pic) wasnt deep enough, so whenever we would start to apply a good amount of presure the hooks would just slowly slip off. Now this isnt the first pully i have pulled, i know how to use the tool, but ill be damned if that one would work in any configuration we tried. we eventualy tried it from the outside of the pully (i know now how dumb that was) but ended up just breaking off the lip of the pully.

not the actual puller we used, just a pic i found on the net that was close to what we used...
Name:  puller.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  9.7 KB

we tried the hooks in both bolt positions going from the inside of the pulley, and it would eventually start to loose its grip on the pulley every time..

any sugjestions? better puller? a trick that i didnt figure out on my own?
ifeel stupid asking about something as silly as this, but what the hey

thanks,
chris
Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

each arm has 2 hooks on it big/small. theres multiple settings . just take your time and adjust the settings it will come off . the one I use is a 6 1/2" three arm puller.hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

I used the same puller when I did mine!!! It will not work with the large claws. Take the bolts out and switch so that the thinner claws are grabbing, I forgot if I had the near or far bolt setting. Good luck!!!!! Don't forget to use a new bolt.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I used the same puller when I did mine!!! It will not work with the large claws. Take the bolts out and switch so that the thinner claws are grabbing, I forgot if I had the near or far bolt setting. Good luck!!!!! Don't forget to use a new bolt.
where you using the autozone puller? i did try it on the short arm side..it gave me the same result..i almost think it was a bad puller... if it where ours and not rented, i would have simply grinded down the "valley" (see pic above) and it would have worked well, but it was a loner.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've rented many worn out tools from autozone, you might just wanna try getting a different one from them.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by f-bodman
I've rented many worn out tools from autozone, you might just wanna try getting a different one from them.
i hear you brother, but im pretty sure this was a new puller....still a POS, i think we may have found someone who actually ownes one to come give us a hand...
Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

ttttt
Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
ttttt
Too bad you don't live close to Atlanta. I'd loan you the one I have. Good luck bro.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Teching In

If youre' looking for a good tool to remove a harmonnic balancer, try this: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-6267.html. Worked 100 x's than those 3 jaw adjustable pullers.
Drew
Old 01-27-2005, 02:31 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might want to try and get that puller snugged on there, then hit it with a torch.

sears sells a "locking puller" that i've seen people praising alot. do a search for it and you might be in luck. it has a contraption that goes on the outside of the puller arms and keep's 'em locked into place as the pressure increases.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AFPewter
If youre' looking for a good tool to remove a harmonnic balancer, try this: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-6267.html. Worked 100 x's than those 3 jaw adjustable pullers.
Drew
Yes, that is the puller I rented from autozone (maybe it was advance auto) and the guy said it was for a mopar but, I tried it and it worked very well.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

had the exact same problem, auto zone gave me a peice of ****, i ended up using a snap on puller, it was small and not so damn huge like the autozone garbage.............