Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ypipe with single muffler dumped before axle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
You might as well just start from scratch, but an exhaust shop should be able to reuse the two front pieces. High quality X-pipes like the Dr.Gas and Hedman's start at about $100 and the labor will probrably not be cheap. As for home made X pipes, if your looking to make really good power they are not up to the task. Believe me, I have one.

If anything, maybe put a merge collector at the end of the Y to try and get some more flow out of it.

yea i guess imma just put a long bullet on the end of the y pipe.. hell 1 month ago i didn't even have headers and i still had cats and the stock y... no point in changing again so soon, especiall since id prolly got the headers y and bullet cheaper then some of the x pipe setups doen by shops
Old 02-12-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have macs/dual cutouts and the y goes into a glasspack.......wot is freaking awsome, idle is pretty good, everything in between gets annoying after awhile

all of the above applies to cutouts closed and opened......i kinda want to quite it down for more of a sleeper approach, but i like not having the weight of the catback.....
Old 02-12-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Hey guys, I just double checked the Sweet Thunder website. The 3" mufflers only have a 2.5" chamber in them. At the end of the y-pipe I think that's going to choke the motor pretty good, even a bolt on car. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a Pro Flo Twister instead. They are quiet at idle and sound badass when you get on it. From what I've found they dyno pretty much the same as the bullets.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 PM
dug
Banned

You can always buy a 3" ipipe from summit and make a 3" oftl catback. Thats what I did. Its not pretty but its quiet.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Hey guys, I just double checked the Sweet Thunder website. The 3" mufflers only have a 2.5" chamber in them. At the end of the y-pipe I think that's going to choke the motor pretty good, even a bolt on car. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a Pro Flo Twister instead. They are quiet at idle and sound badass when you get on it. From what I've found they dyno pretty much the same as the bullets.
which muffler is this??? i figured the sweet thunders would choke the car down.. unless u ran duals with two of them. im thinking about the longer 18 inch bullet with a cone insert in the turndown. anyone else seen this in jegs?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

I had wanted to run those cone inserts on open headers so I could pass tech at street night but all the experianced racers said don't bother. They kill a lot of power and don't really work. The Pro Flo Twisters look like the Moroso Spiral flows (Jeg's has them) but they don't kill power like the Morosos. You can see the Pro flos at http://www.flopro.com/Twister.htm . Lane has a clip on his website of what they sound like on duals. He has said he prefers these because they are pretty quiet at idle and not alot of drone. I pm'd him earlier to see if he could get me one and he said that they are $50+ shipping (think that was for the 12" though, probrably want the 17" for a y-pipe).