Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why isn't it good to buy an aftermarket maf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isn't it good to buy an aftermarket maf?

I've just heard several people say their cars run like crap after buying an aftermarket MAF. Could someone please explain why? Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leahjoyce
I've just heard several people say their cars run like crap after buying an aftermarket MAF. Could someone please explain why? Thanks
Most of the aftermarket maf's will cause you to run lean. The stock maf will support over 400hp. I wouldnt see any real need in a aftermarket one unless maybe you are doing some seroius modding.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

In order for an aftermarket MAF to make more power it will lean your car out. In theory that's not bad but more often then not it leans it out too much and/or creates tuning issues. The purpose of the MAF is to monitor incoming airflow and the stock piece does very well until you get into high HP applications. You should buy an aftermarket MAF to support high HP applications not to make more power on stockish motors. Most people that have bought aftermarket MAFs for their untuned bolt-on cars went back to the stock piece.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alot of tuners won't even touch your car with an aftermarket maf, they can be a bitch to tune arround. Wow people hate the search button here huh...lol
Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Doesn't the Z06 MAF work just as well as the aftermarket ones.. that's what I was told...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, Yeah a friend of mine just bought a camaro and it kept backfiring between shifts and he didn't know why. I told him it was probably the aftermarket maf because I've heard it causes problems like this but I didn't know exactly why.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:18 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue02Ws6
Wow people hate the search button here huh...lol
yes they do.

leahjoyce - which aftermarket maf does the car have?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

An aftermarket MAF wouldn't be a bad thing if you could actually tune with it, but it drives people who tune cars nuts and most wont even touch it. On top of that, it isn't even useful to have it until you are making serious horsepower, because the stock one can handle quite a bit. The only reason I'm running the 85mm SLP MAF is because I'm running a 90mm intake and 85mm lid. And without tuning, my car is running PIG rich.