Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who still has their AC system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate using my AC. I prefer the T-tops. If (when?) I remove mine though I will be buying all the AC delete junk to do it right.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

i had no idea there was an "uninstall kit" for AC system. interesting...
Old 02-21-2005, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
i know this is one of those "every little bit counts" modifications, but im not sure if i want to get rid of mine or not.

just asking who !AC and who did not touch it (and uses it). i clipped the belt a while ago when the weather was getting cold (probably did nothing but who knows- more parasitic drag= less hp). now i may just completly remove it for the weight savings off of the front of the vehicle, not to mention more flow to the rad.

opinions please. i honestly only would probably use it MAYBE 5 times this whole summer- t tops do the trick unless it is over like 90* out, which would be a bad time to drive the car anyway (kr, and transmission temps).

this is completly a street car also, daily driver/ weekend racer (every weekend) when the weather is nice.

yea i found that i only used it maybe 5 times a year.. even down here in sc, when it gets up around 95 or so degrees i would always have both windows down anyways and unless i get cuaght at a long redlight dont break a sweat, the only time i wanted to use it was right before i ran at the track, waiting in the lanes with the helmet on and windows rolled up ect lol.. can get kinda hot then, but that isn't a time to use it anyways...i still have my heat so i can defrost my windows ect.. i just pulled off the line and the compressor and stuff like that.. i didn't take off the belt, didnt know which to take off yet. but i wieghed it and i pulled like 30lbs off and made the plugs easier to change on that side!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Just leave your belt off and keep AC on the car. If you ever have to sell it you'll be glad you left the AC on the car.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

i still have mine 2 but guess its what u prefer,
Old 02-21-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
i had no idea there was an "uninstall kit" for AC system. interesting...
Yep. There is an AC delete pulley, and probably another blower housing, or whatever the AC lines go to at the firewall. You just need the same parts F-body cars have with the AC delete option.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Another_User
Ponies shmonies...that's front-end weight. Toss that junk! (I will be keeping mine of course...)
If I take the AC out my wife will definately not go in my car anymore. That could be a good thing though.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Another_User
Yep. There is an AC delete pulley, and probably another blower housing, or whatever the AC lines go to at the firewall. You just need the same parts F-body cars have with the AC delete option.
Are you sure about that..?

No 98-02 F-bodies that I've seen or heard of came without A/C. Even the no option early 1LE cars had A/C. It was standard equiptment...

Why would you need a pulley to replace a compressor that uses it's own belt?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Are you sure about that..?

No 98-02 F-bodies that I've seen or heard of came without A/C. Even the no option early 1LE cars had A/C. It was standard equiptment...

Why would you need a pulley to replace a compressor that uses it's own belt?
Hey...I think you are right. They haven't had an AC delete pulley since the LT1 with the 1LE AC delete.

But...I am looking over the part numbers, and it looks like the blower housing will fit on an LS1 F-body. They share a lot of the same parts. So a clean AC delete is possible.

Last edited by Another_User; 02-21-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
I use it constantly during summer, specially when the ol' lady is in the car.
Sometimes I have to go work to Palm Springs in the middle of summer or places with temperatures above 110, screw that, AC is staying on.
I have been to SD several times though, and it does seem to be cooler over there.
I got mine I wish they would let me leave it on at the dragstrip.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

I also ditched the EGR and AIR, but the A/C stays. With the temps down here in south Texas reaching around 110-115F during the summer, there's no way I could part with the A/C. Especially not in a black car with charcoal leather!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Yea I hear ya. Here in southeast Texas people wont even consider a car that the ac dosent work in. Besides in the summer the only way I can use the t-tops is with the ac on high and at a red light it still burns my **** if you know what I mean. Like the heater when its alittle cool outside on a pretty day also when you take the tops off. Both stay