Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane motor mount is in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, these are the poly inserts. They reuse the stock clamshell. It's not that bad really. Mine just fell apart, and I used a gasket scraper to get the rest of the rubber mount out.

If you're doing a tubular K-member, for god's sake do your mounts while it's out. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh hard was the passenger side? Like some of you I spent the better part of 2 days changing the drivers side and my hands were so banged and cut up they were swollen for several days after! It deffinatly helped but I think the passenger side needs one too because the drivers side was broken and the rubber just fell out when I took it appart.

EDIT: Sorry didn't refresh, but I see the passenger side was a POS too... Damn that sucks I'm sure mine needs to be changed!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Are you guys unbolting the AC compressor and the alternator to do this? I just replaced my oil pan and I really can't see it taking more then an hour or two to replace the motor mounts.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

My motor has been out for about 8 months now and I am about to put it back in......but I forgot to mark the mounts. I have the prothan mounts and noticed that the metal shaft sticks out further on one side than the other. Which way does the side that sticks out further go? Twards the front or rear?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TXFBODY
My motor has been out for about 8 months now and I am about to put it back in......but I forgot to mark the mounts. I have the prothan mounts and noticed that the metal shaft sticks out further on one side than the other. Which way does the side that sticks out further go? Twards the front or rear?

Thanks
If your talking about what I think you talking about then it goes towards the front of the car. Drivers side & Pass side. The little metal tab on the side of the insert correct?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
If your talking about what I think you talking about then it goes towards the front of the car. Drivers side & Pass side. The little metal tab on the side of the insert correct?
not sure if we are talking about the same thing

There are two little tabs that stick out of the motor mounts that would have to go up or down. I am talking about the shaft the bolt goes through. It sticks further out of the prothane on one side. On one side it sticks out about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch. on the other side its about 1/4inch. I need to know which way the longer side faces.

thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

not sure if we are talking about the same thing

There are two little tabs that stick out of the motor mounts that would have to go up or down. I am talking about the shaft the bolt goes through. It sticks further out of the prothane on one side. On one side it sticks out about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch. on the other side its about 1/4inch. I need to know which way the longer side faces.

thanks
The tabs that are on each mount would go up. Ok, when you took the mount out you had to drill out the rivits, correct? Now having done this one side of the clamshell had 3 rivits & the other had 2 rivits all that need to be drill out. The side that had the 3 rivits goes facing towards the heads on both sides & the side that had 2 rivits point towards the ground. Does this help?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:07 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAT3
Are these just the polyurethane inserts for stock clam shells, or is it a whole new clamshell redsign? I have a tubular K member I need to install soon and want to do mm at the same time. I seen some tubular looking ones that open up a lot of room, but not sure if these are the solid mounts I heard to not use. Thanks.
http://ourworld.cs.com/jrp%20pictures/DSC00028.JPG

mine were still a pain to install.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
The tabs that are on each mount would go up. Ok, when you took the mount out you had to drill out the rivits, correct? Now having done this one side of the clamshell had 3 rivits & the other had 2 rivits all that need to be drill out. The side that had the 3 rivits goes facing towards the heads on both sides & the side that had 2 rivits point towards the ground. Does this help?
Thank you sir, that is exactly what i needed
Old 03-09-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you sir, that is exactly what i needed
No problem!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

I think the reason they are such a pain is getting all the damn bolts back in and lined up correctly with so little space to work. The pedastal bolts don't like to thread and the ones on the block aren't that friendly either. I spent the better part of the day putting some in my buddies car and I figured it would only take 3-4 hours to do both... and I still need to put the final long bolt in the driver's side and reinstall the alternator too. The other mount is so solid now I can't get the motor to move enough to slide the final long bolt in easily.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by aram
I think the reason they are such a pain is getting all the damn bolts back in and lined up correctly with so little space to work. The pedastal bolts don't like to thread and the ones on the block aren't that friendly either. I spent the better part of the day putting some in my buddies car and I figured it would only take 3-4 hours to do both... and I still need to put the final long bolt in the driver's side and reinstall the alternator too. The other mount is so solid now I can't get the motor to move enough to slide the final long bolt in easily.
My passenger side through bolt was like that too. I loosened the pedestal bolts until it would reach, and voila! the through bolt slid right through. I put the nut on and then tightened the pedestal bolts back down and torqued them. Problem solved! You might try that.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

JRP, where did you gat those pedestals made? I've been thinking of having some fabbed up myself. THe stock ones are so friggen overweight.

David

Originally Posted by jrp
http://ourworld.cs.com/jrp%20pictures/DSC00028.JPG

mine were still a pain to install.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
JRP, where did you gat those pedestals made? I've been thinking of having some fabbed up myself. THe stock ones are so friggen overweight.

David
thats my Pro Fab tubular K-member . Madman and spohn sell solid motor mounts, might be an option to look into. i dont have weight comparison off hand but i know they gotta be lighter then the stock stamped steel ones.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm, my profab K member came without motor mounts. Are they able to seperate from the K member, or are they built into the K member?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Hmmm, my profab K member came without motor mounts. Are they able to seperate from the K member, or are they built into the K member?
built in. they sell two versions of the K's, one with and one w/o the intergrated mounts

http://ourworld.cs.com/jrp%20pictures/DSC00015.JPG
Old 08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

K-member looked nice. I see the scale - save me the search - what's the weight difference?

!hijack
Old 08-17-2005, 11:36 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
K-member looked nice. I see the scale - save me the search - what's the weight difference?

!hijack
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/271549-pro-fab-k-vs-stock.html
Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Holy crap guys, been diggin' up old dead posts?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Just searching, just searching. JRP should feel proud