Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's my coated Pacesetters after less than a year

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durien
my Jethots got like that too... i sold them and went QTPs!..they look great and kick ***!
My jet hots look pretty good...every now and then ill go under there and wipe them off...i guess i havent had them for that long though...i dont think it has been a year but pretty damn close
Old 03-26-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

I'll definitely be buying stainless ones next time.

What is the best combo of price/quality on stainless headers? Kooks and QTP both seem to be good.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Well I just got a great price for Kooks with catted Y pipe , o2 extensions and install. I hope its worth the extra $$$ . What should I expect as far as HP with this setup?
Old 03-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The bad thing is that all of the dirt and debris that is flying under your car hits the headers and after time all of the abrassion knocks the coating off and the corrosion process begins. Stainless is the only way to go.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those looked like my JetHot Coated Hooker LT's. The coatings are a waste of money and that is why you get stainless steel.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Launching!

That sucks I'm going to check mine tomorrow, Last time I changed my oil 2,000 miles ago they looked fine. I think Pacesetters had a problem with the coating a while ago but I'm pretty sure they did something about it.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

that really sucks man. Mine have been on since August and they still look really good. I do however jack up the car and wipe off any surfave rust with metal polish every month or so. I guess I better keep doing this.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those look like new compared to my old Pacesetters that were on for 14 months. There was no coating left on the drivers side header from about half way down it was solid rust. I ended up getting SS Supermaxx headers and catted y-pipe.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

My hookers that are on my old Blazer looked about the same after about two years in rain, snow, and mud. Now I really want to wait for stainless headers.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess us California guys dont realize how good we have it, without the snow, Ice and road salt....
Old 03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Well some one obviosuly didn't clean their headers very often. I get under my car every 2 weeks or so on a weekend and give them a good cleaning. doesn't take very long and like some one else said in another thread just get under there and wipe the it off with some metal cleaner.

Oh and pacesetter is supposed to have a 1 yr warranty on the headers if i am not mistaken so call them up and let them know.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I never drove my car in the winter. Also within two months of summer only driving there was a discoloration of the coating that would NOT wipe off. So maybe some of us are not all that lazy. It appeared to rust from under the coating on mine. Not a thing I could do about it.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok mabey i just dont understand but you guys that want to swithc to stainless are doing it becuse of apperance and not because of functionality?? because the coating should help reduce underhood temps while the SS wont. now if you get say some edelbrock headers and swap get them coated by some company like calico or swain tech you just might be better off cash and functionality wise. hell if you guys give them a call i bet you can even start a new r&d program where they can make a headder coat last in this shitty weather.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

EVERY mild steel coated header will have this happen. EVERY one of them, regardless of who coats it.

Stainless is the only way to not have this.

However, the headers still function well and make power.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-27-2005, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rons 00z
ok mabey i just dont understand but you guys that want to swithc to stainless are doing it becuse of apperance and not because of functionality?? because the coating should help reduce underhood temps while the SS wont. now if you get say some edelbrock headers and swap get them coated by some company like calico or swain tech you just might be better off cash and functionality wise. hell if you guys give them a call i bet you can even start a new r&d program where they can make a headder coat last in this shitty weather.
my point exactly
Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Other than visual reasons what's the big deal about having coated headers? If it's for keeping the heat under the hood down, how much cooler? And as long as you have some kind of fresh air intake, so what if it's a little hotter under the hood?

I've read a lot of guys having issues with coated headers rusting after a relatively short period of time. IF I do get headers I'll more than likely get a set of.....UNPAINTED Pacesetters. Yeah, if I wanted to spend over $1000 on headers I'd go stainless. But to keep it cheap why spend the extra $100-$150 to get a coating that's not going to last more than a a couple years? They may look like hell, but they'll still do their intended job. I don't plan on entering any car shows so what's the difference? Personally, I don't see what the big deal is.

I'm still running the same PAINTED Heddman Headers on my 78 Z28 that I installed more than 18 years ago. The things sure aren't the prettiest, they still do the job without any holes or leaks.

Guys getting rid of your rusted headers for stainless.........hell, if you just plan on tossing them in the trash, I'lll make it worth your while to box them up & go to the post office . I don't give a crap what they look like as long as they aren't rusted through or flaking off.

.......................okay I'm done now
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

My one-and-a-half year old Jet Hots still look brand new. Don't you just love no-snow & no-salt states?
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to try out the high temp POR
paints as a cover-up until you actually need to
change out the pipes. I used the "cast iron gray"
on my cast iron logs and they are holding up well.
The POR stuff actually loves rust. Now, I'd be
more concerned about what the inside (which is
uncoated to begin with) is doing, up around the
first bend where you get orange hot gas with a
nice bit of left-over oxygen in it to chow on the
fine quality thin gauge mild steel.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

That sucks man... I went with Coated because I only drive my car during the summer, I try to avoid rain but sometimes you can't do much about it. Guess I will just see what happens with mine and buy some stainless next time

Quick Reply: Here's my coated Pacesetters after less than a year