Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout questions!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout questions!?!

I've done some searching, and i don't see the answer i'm looking for, and i'm gettin tired!

How hard is it to install an exhaust cutout? what kind of gains might i see at the track? Where can i get the cutout for my car? and anything else you would like to add!? Thx
Old 04-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Launching!

you can purchase one from many sponsors here summit has the 3 1/2 inch for $31.47.The 3 1/2 is louder than 3 inch its up to you how loud do you like it, you need to take it to a muffler shop to get installed unless you have welder and know how to weld they should charge you from $40 to $80 to install it and far dyno results I wouldnt know because its not worthy to pay for a before and after dyno results.Its a very easy and cheap way to get exhaust noise from these fbodys very worth from my opinion but if you the money get borla,corsa or loudmouth
Old 04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do a lot of guys run these with otherwise completely stock exhaust systems? Also, do you get any sort of gas or exhaust smell in the vehcile running it open?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

You would need a 3in cutout since the I pipe is 3 inch. You should see at least a solid tenth at the track with it open. Best place to put them is right under the passenger seat b/c there is a lot of room there.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Normal gains are around 15 hp. It would be a decent gain for you seeing you have no other mods. You will not smell any exhaust smell until you take the cats off and put an offroad y-pipe on. Be aware that a cutout is very loud. I would recommend putting a QTP electric cutout. You get the best of both worlds at the flip of a switch.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just noticed...luv2speed has the same exhaust system as me. Great choice! I just installed my Magnaflow and electric cutout, it's great!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

An electric one is about the only way to go, unless you like crawling under the car every now and then. I like being able to close mine before I start the car in the morning at 6am to go to work, so the neighbors won't throw a fit, (I live around a bunch of old people) then when I get on out of the neighborhood, I can open it back up.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Thx for the reply's, sound's like it's definitely worth 100 it would cost to get it and install. I mainly just want if for the track to gain that tenth.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Normal gains are around 15 hp. It would be a decent gain for you seeing you have no other mods. You will not smell any exhaust smell until you take the cats off and put an offroad y-pipe on. Be aware that a cutout is very loud. I would recommend putting a QTP electric cutout. You get the best of both worlds at the flip of a switch.
Yeah, I like the best of both worlds part. It just seems like everyone who has a cutout, also has a nice exhaust system anyway. I wouldn't want to get a cutout I might not be happy with if I'd be changing things around later. But I like the idea of passing emissions no problem, coming home late at night/leaving early without pissing anyone off, yet having the sound and performance at the flip of a switch.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

25 for the part and like 25 for install