Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car Has A Mind Of Its Own

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Car Has A Mind Of Its Own

Ok, I've posted this problem with my car a few months back, but some more things have happened since then. Basically what happens is that I'll be driving along and my car decides to speed up all by itself. The throttle seems to have a mind of its own, and my car will start to accelerate with no help from me.

The suggestions I got from fellow LS1tech members was that either my floor mats were sliding up hitting the accelerator, or there was a bind in my throttle cable. Since then I have taken out my floor mats, and inspected the throttle cable up by the TB and can find no visible damage. I pull on the cable to open the TB and when i release it, the cable goes right back to where it should.

Now everytime that my car does this, I pull over and shut off my car. I wait a few seconds and turn it back on and my car is back to normal. Now I'm not expert like a lot of people on this board, but to me that says I've got a computer problem somewhere.

And just about 20 min. ago my car did it again (this is the first time it has happened twice in one day), and now my SES light has come on. I have no software to figure out what the code is, so I'm probably going to have to take it to my local dealer. My only mods are on the intake. I have the SSRA, SLP lid, SLP MAF, and SLP Smooth Bellow. I know a lot of people have had problems with their aftermarket MAFs, and I'm hoping that this isn't my problem, because I have no clue where my stock MAF is.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to what it wrong, I would greatly appreciate some help.

2001 Z28 A4 49K
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

If there is an Autozone in your area, they can scan the code for free. (At least in my area this service exists)
Old 04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder if your cruise control is doing something it shouldnt. I doubt it will help but if you dont use it maybe you could disconnect it just to see if that helps.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a problem with you IAC. The idle air control valve is constantly opening and closing as you drive to try and smooth out the engine. Fully open I could see it letting in enough air to accelerate the car slowly. If its as if the car mashed the gas all by itsself, then id look elsewhere, possibly the cruise like said above or TCS/ASR if you have it.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro LS1 Dude

The suggestions I got from fellow LS1tech members was that either my floor mats were sliding up hitting the accelerator, or there was a bind in my throttle cable. Since then I have taken out my floor mats, and inspected the throttle cable up by the TB and can find no visible damage. I pull on the cable to open the TB and when i release it, the cable goes right back to where it should.
Make sure the cable is operating smoothly, you shouldn't feel anything when you operate it by hand. Check the codes (autozone should do it for free). My first thoughts are IAC.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have cruise control? If so, maybe it's gone crazy on you.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I wonder if your cruise control is doing something it shouldnt. I doubt it will help but if you dont use it maybe you could disconnect it just to see if that helps.
Yes, I use my cruise control quite a bit. Even when in town to keep from getting a speeding ticket. That is always my first thought when my car starts to accelerate by itself. But the cruise has never been on when my car takes off by itself.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Make sure the cable is operating smoothly, you shouldn't feel anything when you operate it by hand. Check the codes (autozone should do it for free). My first thoughts are IAC.
Yes the cable works very smoothly.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Maybe a problem with you IAC. The idle air control valve is constantly opening and closing as you drive to try and smooth out the engine. Fully open I could see it letting in enough air to accelerate the car slowly. If its as if the car mashed the gas all by itsself, then id look elsewhere, possibly the cruise like said above or TCS/ASR if you have it.
No the car is not accelerating at WOT or anything like that. If I put the car in neutral it will speed up to about 3000 rpm but not any higher. And it is fairly gradual; it might take it about 2 seconds to get there from normal idle.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SRM
If there is an Autozone in your area, they can scan the code for free. (At least in my area this service exists)
I get off work in about an hour, so I'll drop by Auto Zone and see if they can do that for me.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to point my finger at the IAC, in the throttle body, you aren't experiencing a massive increase in RPM, so thats my thought on it. I bet its going out or getting stuck, but if you've been driving a while and it does this I'd say its going out.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

I went to Auto Zone and they scanned the computer for me and sure enough it is the IAC. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not a prob Bob.......