Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound too loud...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust sound too loud...

My setup is on my signature. This car is my daily driver and I'm getting a little annoyed with the rasp of the system, and the loudness of it, too.

Can I simply just buy two bullet mufflers and have them welded in where the cat converters used to be?? Any performance lost or any other side effects???? Also, is there another way I can go to reduce the rasp...?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

whats wrong with too loud?..lol
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

add cats, that'll cut some rasp
Old 04-18-2005, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust can be too loud for a daily driver. For some people.
I'd be more concerned with the quality of the sound (rasp). If you don't care for how it sounds it will get "too loud" for your liking much quicker than if you actually like how it sounds.

The best way to reduce rasp, and drastically at that, is with high-flow cats. Bullets should help but don't count on a whole new sound or anything. Just my experience...

Edit: Oh yeah, they shouldn't affect performance or have any side effects so long as they are fitted/installed properly. If you serach for things like rasp, dynomouth, borlamouth, loudmouth, etc etc you should be able to find plenty of posts in this section on reducing rasp with different mufflers in different locations as well as the use of cats.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Launching!

It's definately the rasp that annoys the hell out of me. It's not so much the loudness of the system, but the rasp.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately try some cats. They should only take low single digits of hp and will drastically reduce rasp when they get hot.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Default Vortex cones

Jet Hot long tube headers, off road Y pipe, Loud Mouth cat back with a dynomax bullet race muffler.
My car was loud with an annoying rasp at about 2,500 rpm. I kept getting busted at autocrosses for being too loud. It was only a matter of time before I got a ticket too.
I thought about the cats, which will work. Jeff Creech and CAM suggested Vortex cones to take the rasp out. They are about $60.00 from Jegs. You are supposed to put them in the collectors, but I only bought one and put it in the outlet of my muffler. I'm still loud and may get a noise ticket, but the rasp is gone and it is a little quiter.
One in each collector should work better with little loss of HP.