Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting egr????....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Deleting egr????....

I have a 98' trans am with egr, i bought a new intake and i am going to do away with the egr to clean up the engine bay. i bought a egr block off kit, my question is, do i get rid of the air injection pumps as well???... need some help i am almost done putting it back together but this along with needing 00-02 center bolt valve covers to fit my new heads... if anyone has done an egr delete on thier car any info would be appreciated. and if anyone has a set of ls1 center bolt valve covers let me know... thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the AIR system is used to heat up the cats quicker. when i put my LT's on i got rid of the cats and AIR system. i have an 02 so my car didn't come with egr. if you take your AIR off you'll need blockoff plates for them as well.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:20 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yeah totally up to you, I have a 98 and removing te AIr and EGR made a lot more room. If you don't have cats there is absolutly no need for AIR
Old 04-20-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are cleaning up the engine bay then for sure. The egr pump can be removed, also there is an air pump that is below the drivers side headlight but it is out of sight you will get to it from a compartment under the car. The hoses you can kind of twist off with some force. If you do not delete egr/air off the computer when you do this you will throw a code. Also if you delete the egr and do no block off the egr pump the valve will tick and the car will not ride smooth.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

If you do not delete egr/air off the computer when you do this you will throw a code.

What do you use to delete the egr/air off of the computer?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

hp tuners, LS1edit etc.

the codes shoudn't affect performance though.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Launching!

thanks guys, i have block off plates for all the air tubes on the headers and the erg, i took of the air pumps but do i have to take the one off from the actual pump itself?.. i unplugged it from underneath the car. i left the hose that snakes around the from the pump through the fender on... should i take it off??......and if i do do i have to plug it?... i was told that if i disconnect the plug it wont turn on?.... i am going to have it tuned once it is all together.... being held up by wrong valve covers, and trying to find a long bolt to get my underdrive pully on...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can leave the air pump on if you want to. if you remove it it just takes weight off the front end. as far as the hose that comes from there if you remove the pump the hose will come off with it or you can cut it, just your preference as it serves no purpose anymore.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by snake charmer
you can leave the air pump on if you want to. if you remove it it just takes weight off the front end. as far as the hose that comes from there if you remove the pump the hose will come off with it or you can cut it, just your preference as it serves no purpose anymore.

thanks, but by taking the plug off the air pump it will not turn on right??..