Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG w/KOOKS headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG w/KOOKS headers?

GMMG w/KOOKS headers? What do u guys think? GMMG chambered exhaust w/ 1 3/4 KOOKS headers w/ KOOKS catted 3in. Y-pipe? Do I need anything else and who sells KOOKS headers for a good pice? Thanx!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

That is an awesome setup, personally I like the Corsa Catback better than the GMMG but right now I wish I had either of the two instead of the SLP.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Do this only if you want to keep your cats, it will get very raspy if you dont have them.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cefiro
Do this only if you want to keep your cats, it will get very raspy if you dont have them.
I run an ory with my long tubes and gmmg and its not very raspy at all? Im aware that we are talking about an ls1 compared to my lt1, but i think this raspy thing is not as big as everyone describes it.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where can I get Kooks for a good deal?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

TTP is suppose to have the best prices around on kooks....----------------->
Old 05-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds awesome, and its not too raspy. Corsa sucks. Any catback that has a muffler that self destructs is junk.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Coy
It sounds awesome, and its not too raspy. Corsa sucks. Any catback that has a muffler that self destructs is junk.

The muffler in the corsa system self destructs? how so?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

there were some problems a few years ago with the baffles not holding to the casing. they have since fixed the problems and have offered replacements.... some have had good luck, some have bad, just like everything else.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh and ill get cyphur_traq in here, he has gmmg/kooks/ory setup.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

I've got the Kooks 1 3/4 to a Kooks 3" ORY to the GMMG Exhaust...it is raspy. I had to put a bullet in it to tolerate it. Between 2-3 grand is rasp city. Just get that set-up and get a Borla XR-1 muffler to throw in the I-pipe.

You'll love it.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

is that w/cats or w/out?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by armkneez8
is that w/cats or w/out?
Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet
I've got the Kooks 1 3/4 to a Kooks 3" ORY to the GMMG Exhaust...it is raspy.
He listed ORY (off-road Y-pipe). That's without cats.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

i like my setup(kooks/ory/gmmg) but there is a little rasp between 2100-2500 RPMs. i have 3.89 gears tho. i've thought about putting a bullet in it, but those few hundred rpm's can be shifted around a hell of a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy has the GMMG catback on his 02 z28 and i recently installed kooks headers and kooks catted y for him. it sounds pretty nice, his handle on here is fuzzyls1. he's probably seen this thread already and just not said anything because he is teh ultehmate LURKER

Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

this is my exact set up...(kooks 1 3/4...ORY...GMMG)... is all i have to say....simply an awsome sound...i can deal with the little rasp from 2-2500...i live with it.

theres a clip of my car on the dyno floating around on this site somewhere..you can hear it for your self....have idle sounds, light accel sound, and the ever so populer WOT sound...ill see if i can find it and post it up.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

ok...i found it on my computer but i dont know how to post/host it...anyone want to host it ill send it to your email.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your car is a M6 then having a ORY is ok but if you are a A4 forget about it. It sounds like pure ****. I had cats and liked the way it sounded then went ORY and said to myself what did I do to my car? I then put the Borla XR1 in the intermediate pipe and its all good now. It actually sounds better now than when it had cats which is hard to believe. The best part is I have all my ground clearance back.

Here is a link below that will bring you to a thread that I posted about the GMMG with ORY and QTP headers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/278885-qtp-headers-ory-gmmg-borla-xr1-sounds-great.html
Old 05-07-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armkneez8
GMMG w/KOOKS headers? What do u guys think? GMMG chambered exhaust w/ 1 3/4 KOOKS headers w/ KOOKS catted 3in. Y-pipe? Do I need anything else and who sells KOOKS headers for a good pice? Thanx!

That is my exact set-up. Here are my thoughts as posted in the Exhaust Review thread:

Set-up:
Kooks LT's and Y with Magnaflow cats
GMMG chambered cat-back

Before Kook's:
If you plan to leave the stock manifolds, there is no better cat-back on the market. It's loud, deep and mean. The GMMG has the old 69 Camaro muscle car sound to it. At start up it's loud with a good tone to it. At warm idle it quiets down a bit, but doesn't lose any sound quality. At cruise you know you have something special and at WOT it's almost deafening. The best part about crusing in an M6 with GMMG is goin about 40 or so in 3rd gear (2300-2400 rpm) and then giving it some gas. It alomst screams. Best part is that there is NO drone.

The GMMG is not cheap though. $700 for the system and $850 with the polished oval tips. (which I had to get) By far the best money I've spent on my car. After the headers go on I'll post up more observations as well as pics.

www.gmmginc.net

After Kook's:

Sounds:

On start up the car roars to life. It almost barks when I start it. At warm idle, it's a little louder and just as deep sounding as it did before. At cold idle (around 1100 rpm) it's alot louder, as are most exhaust systems because you're running a higher RPM. Give it a little bit of gas and it'll wake you up. Under "normal" acceleration it is a bit louder, but if you accelerate the way I do...it's just plain loud.....but a good loud. I though my GMMG alone at WOT was almost deafening, now it IS deafening. At WOT it is very very loud, yet very crisp and clear. On deceleration (engine breaking) it's actually quieter because there is no gargling sound from the back-pressure, it hums now. Overall it sounds amazing, I couldn't have hoped for it to be better.

Fit/Looks/Quality:

I didn't do the install myself, so I don't know how easily they went in. But from what I hear, they're a piece of cake. Everything appears to fit perfectly. There is no banging on the floorboard from the y-pipe and nothing is rubbing or hitting anywhere. They tuck up surprisingly well. I measuerd clearences and only gave up about a 1/2". I was shocked to see how high the collectors and y-pipe sat. I also checked out all the welds I could see and how everything fit together. This is all top-notch workmanship. The Kook's do cost more than just about everything else, but it's worth it because of the quality of the parts, workmanship and sound. Plus they look great.

Performance:

I never got the car dyno'd before the heads and cam went in, but................
Driving around I noticed the power immediatley. The top end power from these headers is sick. I could not believe how hard my car pulls now up above 3000 RPM. As soon as I get past about 3000 rpm the car shoots forward, I love it.

Overall:

Bottom line: I love this set-up. It sounds so mean and aggressive it's not even funny. Definitley worth every penny.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

gettinhere Thanx 4 ur thoughts. I ordered my system already. How long did it take ur system to get to u? Thanx