Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MYSTERY Starting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MYSTERY Starting problem!

Hey all GM enthusiasts!
Have a problem: Starter engages and cranks (not starter), fuel pump runs (not any pump or fuel relay), Aleternator and battery tested OK. So what is it? Again, the starter cranks and will continue to turn over very powerfully until the battery drains! Started off slowly, couple seconds to turn over, then a little longer, and a little longer, and now it won't (or it's intermittent). Have no idea and need my 99 TA back ASAP! Please, any input will be appreciated!

-PhoenixTA99
Old 05-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Default MYSTERY Starting problem!

Hey all GM enthusiasts!
Have a problem: Starter engages and cranks (not starter), fuel pump runs (not any pump or fuel relay), Aleternator and battery tested OK. So what is it? Again, the starter cranks and will continue to turn over very powerfully until the battery drains! Started off slowly, couple seconds to turn over, then a little longer, and a little longer, and now it won't (or it's intermittent). Have no idea and need my 99 TA back ASAP! Please, any input will be appreciated!

-PhoenixTA99
Old 05-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Default MYSTERY starting problem!

Hey all GM enthusiasts!

-PhoenixTA99
Old 05-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default MYSTERY starting problem!

Hey all GM enthusiasts!
Have a problem: Starter engages and cranks (not starter), fuel pump runs (not any pump or fuel relay), Aleternator and battery tested OK. So what is it? Again, the starter cranks and will continue to turn over very powerfully until the battery drains! Started off slowly, couple seconds to turn over, then a little longer, and a little longer, and now it won't (or it's intermittent). Have no idea and need my TA back ASAP! Please, any input will be appreciated! Now I know it's not a camaro, but lets hope that the LS1 brotherhood can bridge the gap.

-PhoenixTA99
Old 05-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have:
Fuel pressure to injector rail?
Spark?
Signal to injectors?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phoenixta99
Hey all GM enthusiasts!

-PhoenixTA99
did you change to an aftermarket pump? if so, a line could be crimped or something. are you getting spark? pull a plug and see. look at night nad see if theres any arcing on the wires.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

maybe the coils..?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand you're concerned, but four copies of the same thread really isn't necessary Makes it harder for people to help when they aren't seeing the ideas everyone else posted, too.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317595 - Camaro forum
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317594 - Fueling & Injection
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317593 - External Engine
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317591 - Firebird forum
Choose one forum and we'll consolidate this there...

Edit, 5-15-05: okay, since it's been more than a week now with no sign of this guy (and he last logged on a day after I made this post, so he certainly could've seen it), I'm just going to merge them with the one in External Engine since it has the most replies.

Last edited by ACW; 05-15-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Hey all GM enthusiasts!

-PhoenixTA99
have you tried ignition relay switch
Old 05-06-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

May be a clogged fuel filter if it's not the ignition. Or maybe the pump isn't getting fuel from the tank?

Last edited by Rectifier; 05-06-2005 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Hey all GM enthusiasts!

-PhoenixTA99
Check your ignition relay. It is next to the starter relay. Swap them and see if it makes a difference. I am assuming that you checked the fuel injector fuse.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Teching In

I think juju is on the right track... I'm still learning about the LS1 style motor because it is going to be big part of my future.... but until then I defer to the experts. I would suggest sending a personal to "Nogo", he knows just about everything when it comes to the LS1... by the way his name is Kevin and he drives a pro-charged WS6.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just diagnosed the same problem on my neighbor's SS. It was the ignition relay.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:48 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds similar to what mine is doing right now. I can turn the key on and off several times (letting the fuel pump run until it kicks off each time) and then it will start, so I assume mine is the pump. Try it maybe that is what yours is also.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:13 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

My 02 Ram Air Did That To Me Once What I Did Was Reset My Computer By Unhooking The Battery Plugged That Back In. Then I Locked The Car With The Remote Then Unlocked And It Started Sounds Weird But It Worked...?????
Old 05-16-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem after I pulled my engine and did a heads and cam swap. Two days later after trying everything we found the crank sensor wires melted together. We repaird the wires and it started right up.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Default The Answer

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice- but just to let everyone know.... it was the relay after all. I went down and got the ignition switch.. relaized I had to pull the sterring wheel... isnce it was about 10:00 at night and I had no puller, I decided to dink around anyway- so I switched some relays around and boom! started right up. Thanks to everyone who posted.. i really appreciate it!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:00 PM
FormerVendor

Also, I decided to give this a try before I ordered a fuel pump, it has been over a week now and no problems yet. Hopefully the relay swap fixed it. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Teching In

I am having the same type of problem...anyone no where these relays are on a 04 Vette. Are they under the hood or behind the kickpanel? I am going back to dink around with the car again today, but it is 100 miles away and I am trying to figure out everything I can before I go. Thanks all