Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not your avg LS6 intake question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not your avg LS6 intake question....

I've done a ton of searches and haven't found one post that asked this and I'm tired of reading so thought I'd post it.

After the LS-6 intake install do the heads run any hotter from having the back plugs put in instead of the line?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not completely sure what your saying...me dumb

but to answer your question, i doubt that the heads run hotter than with the ls1 manifold.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Maybe I'm wrong in how I thought the coolant lines worked. I assumed coolant flows back and forth between the heads through the coolant lines and was wondering if using the block off plugs in place of the rear coolant line drove the head temps up any? Hopefully that makes a little more sense and like I say I could be wrong in how the coolant lines work.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0rion
Maybe I'm wrong in how I thought the coolant lines worked. I assumed coolant flows back and forth between the heads through the coolant lines and was wondering if using the block off plugs in place of the rear coolant line drove the head temps up any? Hopefully that makes a little more sense and like I say I could be wrong in how the coolant lines work.

See the ports on the floor side of the head coolant comes out of the block and up in to these ports.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thats actually a very good question. I know on many high performance boat applications there are relief valves on the back coolant passage on intake manifolds that allow any hot spots and steam build up to escape. I lost cyl 8 valves seat from overheating on my 502 boat engine. I installed some fittings in the rear of the intake manifold to correct this.

I wouldnt get too worried though, boat engines and car engines are two different worlds due to usage. Also two totally different designed set-ups.

But your question is good, the LS1 intake style has coolant flow in an "X" pattern from all four corners, the LS6 intake blocks off the rear two and only allows the front two to flow together. I have no idea coolant flow through the cylinder heads and block so I too would like to know if installing rear block offs will allow hot spots from steam buildup or anything????
Old 05-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Look at this pic.
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...//IMAGE011.jpg
they are using two front coolent tubes(left side of pic) they are laid out as if they were on the engine. Hope this helps.

part # 12578838 $22.88 at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
probably $50 from dealer. I did a search for the plugs but couldn't find them. I have a part number, but its not listed at gmpartsdirect.com
Old 05-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thats dosent help, they only did that because they didnt have two block offs, if you read in their description then it tells how they just capped off the rear line with a plug.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From everything I have read... the coolant tube you are talking about are for "bleeding" off excess air from the system, helping to eliminate air pockets.