Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Long tubes for an '02 SS
Hooker
1.92%
Pace Setters
34.62%
Kooks
36.54%
other
26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red99transam... I know i dont have much room to talk because i havent ever bought a pair of headers in my life. But i will be in a week, and that choice has been already been chosen, and im buying QTP all the way bro. I live in FL too, Coral springs that is... and ****... its poring down rain as i speak... its been raining here so much lately... When i was driving down the road earlier i hit a huge puddle, And i thought to myself. Damn that would of sucked if i've had a pair of new pacesetters under there. But no worries like you said... im gettin QTP!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

if the car is not a daily driver coated Pacesetter's or Hookers are just fine. I had a set of coated Edelbrock headers on my 92 Z28 for 7 years and they didn't have any rust on them at all. They still shined pretty good after all that time, 2 years as a daily driver and the other 5 as a fair weather car. All depends on the quality of the coating but I find it hard to believe coated headers are going to be rusted after only 2-3 years.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really wish there was more info on the stainlessworks headers. I understand that the y-pipe comes in 2.5 inch which is great for clearance and is stainless over the aluminized y-s from kooks and qtp. They make 3 inch collector version for you guys who think you're above the 2.5 inch but you have to get your own Y pipe or duals. And the price is very competitive 700 ish for all stainless 304 LT's and off road y. 1000ish for the headers and cats. But since i've only read a few things about em (all positive so far) i'm a little hesitant to take them over the kooks and qtp's most people seem to have (because they have been out and advertised longer than SW's probably)
Old 06-01-2005, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
if the car is not a daily driver coated Pacesetter's or Hookers are just fine. I had a set of coated Edelbrock headers on my 92 Z28 for 7 years and they didn't have any rust on them at all. They still shined pretty good after all that time, 2 years as a daily driver and the other 5 as a fair weather car. All depends on the quality of the coating but I find it hard to believe coated headers are going to be rusted after only 2-3 years.
...Lol buddy, my states called the Sunshine state... its a sarcastic way of looking at it though. Down here in Florida it practically rains every week or two... for heavens sake u live in IL. Down here everybodys a daily driver... its not like out in the country or anything! So if you live in the south, it rains alot, you need stainless steel. period!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
I really wish there was more info on the stainlessworks headers. I understand that the y-pipe comes in 2.5 inch which is great for clearance and is stainless over the aluminized y-s from kooks and qtp. They make 3 inch collector version for you guys who think you're above the 2.5 inch but you have to get your own Y pipe or duals. And the price is very competitive 700 ish for all stainless 304 LT's and off road y. 1000ish for the headers and cats. But since i've only read a few things about em (all positive so far) i'm a little hesitant to take them over the kooks and qtp's most people seem to have (because they have been out and advertised longer than SW's probably)
Actually the 2.5" Y pipe is probably better for a car that makes around 400 rwhp. Stainlessworks says they are good to 450hp and I believe them. However, I would never say anything bad about QTP's or Kooks, they are outstanding headers. And if I was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate getting the Pacesetters.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

so if i get the Kooks or QTP headers will i be ok with the 3 inch offroad y-pipe that comes with them or do i need a 2.5 inch setup????????????

i hope to get the cam by December but i may not...

Last edited by 1LE LS1; 06-01-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Kooks.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with coated mild steel. IN reality you are NOT going to have to buy them twice. The part that rusts is under the car so they will still look good (better than stainless, actually) under the hood and they most likely will never rust through either.
If they had been out when I got my headers, or I was getting headers on a limited budget right now, I would get pacesetters.

PS: I've had my Jet-Hot headers in the rust belt for two years thus far. There is surface rust on the lower parts but they look great in the engine bay and are nowhere near rusting through. If I feel like it I can take them off next spring, ship them back to Jet-Hot and have them recoated. Their policy is one free recoaiting within three years and lifetime rust through gurarntee of replacement. IF they ever rust through, they will replace them.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-01-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

My 02 Z28 I have FLP. I love them, and fitment is great.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1LE LS1
so if i get the Kooks or QTP headers will i be ok with the 3 inch offroad y-pipe that comes with them or do i need a 2.5 inch setup????????????

i hope to get the cam by December but i may not...
1LE LSI- To answer your question.. i was just at my auto shop a day ago... they power lifted my car and i got to look under it. I suggest you go with a 2.5", my car isn't even lowered and i still scratch with a 2.5". A 3" will be very tight and will def. scrape... unless u don't go over any speed bumps, into gutters, or any dips, **** like that.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people with longtubes run a 3" Y-pipe. It can be tucked up high enough. Even my 3" duals have satisfactory clearance, one of the two lowest spots is the same as it would be with a Y-pipe. (driver's side where stock Y-pipe is crushed)
For reference you won't be able to fit an upright 12 oz aluminum pop/beer can under it.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

You can't talk **** about coated headers if you never owned a pair, you are only relaying what you heard. I 've had my coated headers on my car for 5 years and never, never had a problem. Kids should not be aloud on this site, its only for grown-ups...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Dynatech SuperMaxx system. It's fully stainless, has dual cats, y-pipe, and everything else needed. Great fit and finish. I also had mine ceramic coated at Jet-Hot too.

The sound increase was modest (due to the cats) and more important I picked up .31sec and 2mph at the track

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 06-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Well, since SSRookiekid and I live in FL, and it rains alot down here stainless steel is probably the best bet for us. Where are you located 1LE LS1 where are you located? If you are in the north and drive your car in the winter where they put salt down on the road, you might want to consider stainless steel. Down here in FL it rains alot so I want to make sure there is NO rust at all especially since my car is my DD. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phoenix 2001
You can't talk **** about coated headers if you never owned a pair, you are only relaying what you heard. I 've had my coated headers on my car for 5 years and never, never had a problem. Kids should not be aloud on this site, its only for grown-ups...
Phoneix your such a party pooper , why don't you just retire ok. Im just a kid trying to learn about cars and maybe, just wanna learn and educate what i know on this site. Why don't you second look the poll at the top of the page , better yet, search for every poll taken on Headers and you'll find QTP/Kooks come up on top... im stating a fact here... im not being a smart ***! Im not talking "****" about your Headers bro, im just trying to give my best advice, he asked, i stated. I dont gotta own em to know they rust...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red99TransAm
Well, since SSRookiekid and I live in FL, and it rains alot down here stainless steel is probably the best bet for us. Where are you located 1LE LS1 where are you located? If you are in the north and drive your car in the winter where they put salt down on the road, you might want to consider stainless steel. Down here in FL it rains alot so I want to make sure there is NO rust at all especially since my car is my DD. Good luck with your decision.
Atleast someone's with me... dam can't we all just get along??
Your right Red... up north there needed too... **** so i guess where ever the hell you live, basically go stainless? am i right? because i didn't state it this time...

-thx Red
Old 06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

hey thanks to all who have spoken
i appreciate the opinions.

i am gonna have to keep my Flowmaster for now so i am probably gonna go with either Kooks or QTP with their matchin y-pipe

i just hope it sounds good since im not goin with cats cuz i wont need the cats once i get a cam and i dont want to get cats now and have wasted my money

i just want the sound to be crisp and clean without all that flutter or spitting sound like straight pipes do

i would really like to have the headers,offroad y-pipe, and hooker catback(sometimes i wish my car didnt have the centermount exhaust that way i could run tips, i know i could take it off but it looks pretty good to me but makes somethings sound bad)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1LE LS1

i am gonna have to keep my Flowmaster for now so i am probably gonna go with either Kooks or QTP with their matchin y-pipe

i would really like to have the headers,offroad y-pipe, and hooker catback(sometimes i wish my car didnt have the centermount exhaust that way i could run tips, i know i could take it off but it looks pretty good to me but makes somethings sound bad)
Hey man, good choice, i have one suggestion tho... QTP does have an excellent flowing Y-pipe, for a price of $500 it better be. To me thats to much after 800 worth of headers, But you can get one just as good (depending on your auto shops) around you from a shop. Thats what im doing, im prob. gonna get cats by preference but my shop will fabricate me one as good for $250-300

But good luck man and the best of wishes!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

i would get my exhaust man to fabricate me one cuz i know it would be good and a lot cheaper but he cannot mandrel bend me one and i dont want one that is pressed in all the bends

thanks for the help man i am gonna need it
Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Atleast someone's with me... dam can't we all just get along??
Your right Red... up north there needed too... **** so i guess where ever the hell you live, basically go stainless? am i right? because i didn't state it this time...

-thx Red

No problem SSkid, us FL boys gotta stick together. We were just merely offering our opinions based on what this thread was about. I dont know why phoenix got his panites all in a bunch Anyhow, congrats on your decision 1LE LS1. I am positive you will be pleased with which ever one you end up choosing, they are both quality headers.