Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Long tubes for an '02 SS
Hooker
1.92%
Pace Setters
34.62%
Kooks
36.54%
other
26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Your right Red... up north there needed too... **** so i guess where ever the hell you live, basically go stainless? am i right?
Not exactly. I can certainly understand why you would want to go with stainless in the type of enviroment down in Fl or anywhere near the ocean where humidity and salt play a big role.
Like I said I had mild steel headers coated by HPC on a car for 7 years. Granted it was only daily driven for 2 Chicago winters the road salt and conditions up here did not seem to effect them. I'll have to see if I can find pictures but the coating shined like new after 7 years and I did practically nothing to maintain them. I sold the car with the headers on it so bascially they outlived my use for them. From my personal experience a good coating will or should last.
I have a friend who bought a set of stainless steel SLP headers for his 87 Iroc, this was a few years back. They were uncoated and developed surface rust within a week or two after they went on the car in the middle of summer. Granted being stainless they won't rust through they sure will develop surface rust without a protective coating.
I think it's pretty obvious coated stainless is always going to be the best choice, if you're willing to spend the money it's definetly the way to go. The reason I chose Pacesetter's over Kooks or QTP was based on two things, cost and my past experience.
just my .02
Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSrookiekid: It's not just that you are a kid trying to learn about cars, you are trying to argue with other and tell them that you are right. To an extent, you are. In some of what you say, you are not. Check out all the replies (like mine, and the one above this ^^^) stating how their coated mild steel lasted. Also check that poll you seem to take above some of our opinions again. 19 for Kooks and 18 for pacesetter. If you want to spend the money on QTP/Kooks, go ahead.

But you don't have to just to keep your headers in proper working condition.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, this one is done.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated. If you can't respected someone elses opinion, LEAVE.

If you have Techical information to share, please start another thread.