Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recharged AC, and green fluid shot out by the compressor after???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005 | 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default recharged AC, and green fluid shot out by the compressor after???

i jsut recharged my ac in my 2001 Z today, everything was cool until i started the car about an hour later. i turned the AC to max and the motor started to shake pretty bad and the compressor kept turning on and off in about 2-3 second intervals. then i noticed that when it was shaking bad, it was shooting out something green down by the passenger side motor mount by the compressor. the problem is, i have no idea what the hells green under there? is it a dye in the AC coolant or something? it stopped when i shut the car off and then started it back up.

heres the fluids i run...

oil...............mobil 1 syn (YELLOWISH)
trans...........mobil one syn (RED)
coolant........Dexcool (ORANGISH)
power steer..stock
Brake...........stock

so theres nothing green in my car. what could it be? some sort of overpressure safety valve for the AC that unloaded some of my new AC Coolant? Perhaps the green is dye in the coolant? thanks.
Old 06-21-2005 | 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is oil in the ac lines, I can't comment if it would be green though, it is usually browish and there is not much there. What port did you fill?
Old 06-21-2005 | 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
There is oil in the ac lines, I can't comment if it would be green though, it is usually browish and there is not much there. What port did you fill?
i filled it on the can thing (i cant remember its name right now). it was the only place it would fit. is that the wrong side?
Old 06-21-2005 | 05:35 PM
Launching!

Yes the ac system has dye in it. A black light will pick up the dye.The compressors on the f-body are known to go out easy, there is also a blow off valve on the back of the compressor so when the pressures get to high it will blow off some pressure. They don't hold alot of freon in the system putting some pressure gauges on it will bet a good idea. You want your low side to be around 25-35 on the low side and 185-205 on the high side idleing!To much and pop goes the freon or severe compressor damage! Check the pressures or get a black light and see where it came from ya need to do that anyway! Good luck its getting hot so ya better get that thing fixxed!
Old 06-21-2005 | 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1s R US
Yes the ac system has dye in it. A black light will pick up the dye.The compressors on the f-body are known to go out easy, there is also a blow off valve on the back of the compressor so when the pressures get to high it will blow off some pressure. They don't hold alot of freon in the system putting some pressure gauges on it will bet a good idea. You want your low side to be around 25-35 on the low side and 185-205 on the high side idleing!To much and pop goes the freon or severe compressor damage! Check the pressures or get a black light and see where it came from ya need to do that anyway! Good luck its getting hot so ya better get that thing fixxed!
well, the AC still blows cold, so i guess the compreessor is ok? if it did shoot out some pressure release valve in the back of the compressor, do i need to replace anything? or does the valve just close after its done? thanks.

Scott
Old 06-21-2005 | 08:03 PM
Launching!

No shouldn't have to replace it uless it keeps blowing pressure off and it isin't high enough to do so make sure your cooling fans work good the low speed should be on all the time and the high comes on at 250 psi on the high side and will go back off somewhere around 205-220.If the fans don't run properly and its hot out it could cause very high pressures!But if its still cooling I would drive it till it quits cooling or does it again.ACs are a pain in the (arss) to get perfect sometimes!@
Old 06-23-2005 | 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1s R US
No shouldn't have to replace it uless it keeps blowing pressure off and it isin't high enough to do so make sure your cooling fans work good the low speed should be on all the time and the high comes on at 250 psi on the high side and will go back off somewhere around 205-220.If the fans don't run properly and its hot out it could cause very high pressures!But if its still cooling I would drive it till it quits cooling or does it again.ACs are a pain in the (arss) to get perfect sometimes!@
Alright, the AC stopped blowing cold, and i tried putting a lil more coolant in and it shot it out the back. im going to go buy the ac kit with the pressure gauges to test it, but if its blowing coolant out no matter what the pressure, how do i fix it? can i buy a new pressure valve or what. this is pissing me off...
Old 06-23-2005 | 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

i filled it on the can thing (i cant remember its name right now). it was the only place it would fit. is that the wrong side?
Rule of thumb, if you don't know the name of the components that your working on, then you probably don't know how to work on it.

I was going to post that your AC would stop blowing cold, then I read your last post. You most likely "retired" your compressor Replace the accumulator as well since the system is now "open."
Old 06-23-2005 | 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by technical
Rule of thumb, if you don't know the name of the components that your working on, then you probably don't know how to work on it.

I was going to post that your AC would stop blowing cold, then I read your last post. You most likely "retired" your compressor Replace the accumulator as well since the system is now "open."
thats not a bad rule of thumb, but i know more about cars than most. it was overcharged. fixed now...thanks.

Quick Reply: recharged AC, and green fluid shot out by the compressor after???